Dereks Threads

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I don't know if Derek has won any prizes for his threads, but I reckon he should.

Have you got a favourite Derek Gibson Thread ?

Bob

flightliner

Reaction score
Bob, I was'nt a member at the time, just a lurker but his "big pike are easy--- " ran for months and months with posts going into a thousand plus if I remember.
I,m surprised it has'nt been ressurrected in the more recant past.

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't have a favourite but do try to get involved in Dereks threads, they are always thought provoking and interesting and at times when FM has gone a little stale they liven it up, I don't know how he keeps coming up with them and notice there is another new one today. Perhaps some recognition from FM is due.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are so many to chose from, and all of them so interesting and thought-provoking that it is nigh on impossible to pick one favorite.

In my book they would all qualify for a prize . . . .

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
They are thought-provoking; just need to train him to leave out speech marks (") on thread titles (not needed) and get everyone to stop using capital letters for fish names (common names should not have them, only proper names e.g. a horse (common name) called Shergar (proper name)) and the threads will read so much better.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
They are thought-provoking; just need to train him to leave out speech marks (") on thread titles (not needed) and get everyone to stop using capital letters for fish names (common names should not have them, only proper names e.g. a horse (common name) called Shergar (proper name)) and the threads will read so much better.

Noted Mark.

mikench

Reaction score
You have been told Derek!:) I'd like to think that all the threads what I wrote were grammatically correct!

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
25745cab616cd124a420dcb8d0a11081.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score

A bit like this Mark................;)
prod_bigroach2_cover.jpg

robtherake

Reaction score
Yes, Derek's questions are always relevant and get the ol' grey matter working. They're often outside my limited experience, but always interesting and to the point.

mikench

Reaction score
I am confident Mark can fight his own grammatical battles but I believe that in a title case such as this the first word, an adjective is a capital but the noun is an important word and so its capitalisation is justified! :)

peterjg

Reaction score
I think Mark Wintle has a bloody cheek! "Just need to train him" to be less condescending.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
What many of you don't know is that in the early days of FM Graham Marsden assiduously edited many posts to remove extraneous speech marks, correct spelling/CAPS and generally tidy up so that the forum looked far more readable than is sometimes the case now. I guess my former employment in an industry where even punctuation has to be perfect (computer programming; COBOL could bite with a misplace full stop if you weren't careful, COBOL 2 was much more user-friendly) and all writing is critically peer-reviewed means that I find it frustrating to see such elementary errors although it's not as bad as many Facebook blogs, usually with something like Joe Bloggs Angling.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thumbs up to Dereks threads, I dont take part in all of them but I find the ones were I feel I can contribute something, always look forward to seeing what he has come up with next.

I often capitalize the fish name because I am writing about fish. I like the subject to stand out a bit, so if its chub I like Chub to stand out just to emphasize that's what I am writing about. seems logical to me.

If I want to make that a rule why not, someone else did that once, who said they were right or wrong,
Whose going to guard the guardians? Whose going to guard the guardians of the guardians? Whose going to guard the guardians of the guardians of the guardians?------------

And while I am here I wish someone would get rid of the American spell check-its capitalise not capitalize. Its just so uncouth.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
He can speak( write) for himself but I doubt that was his intention. We all want to learn something either new or which we had forgotten.

I really enjoy Derek's posts and whilst I have never met him or am likely to, I'll bet he is a nice bloke!:)

robtherake

Reaction score
I was never taught the finer rules of grammar and consequently my posts are filled with random attempts to punctuate correctly - it probably horrifies the profs amongst us, but hey-ho. I see nothing wrong with bad grammar, spelling or punctuation as long as the post can be understood.