Maggot Colouring

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Been enlivening some maggots from the fridge and noticed some interesting stats, the red maggots seem to recover quickest followed by the whites and the yellows. So, what colourings are used to produce blue, green and orange maggots and why are they the most likely to either die or take longer to recover?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The red, white and yellow maggots are renowned for their homophobic tendencies.
Try getting up in the middle of the night and check your baitbox, it kicks off big time around 1am...

flightliner

Reaction score
Reds seem make a somewhat smaller caster too, and why, when they pupate in a container with maise meal is the "bum" end encrusted with the stuff but the "nose" is always clear.
Sorry ifnc, not trying to hijack your thread ,just a bit more maggot mystery to dwell on.:confused:

Chefster

Reaction score
Reds seem make a somewhat smaller caster too, and why, when they pupate in a container with maise meal is the "bum" end encrusted with the stuff but the "nose" is always clear.
Sorry ifnc, not trying to hijack your thread ,just a bit more maggot mystery to dwell on.:confused:
Not hijacking either,but you should never turn casters in Maize meal,always sawdust:D

flightliner

Reaction score
Lol, walked into that!. I take the point chefster but I'll stick ( theres that word again) to maise meal , I worked with wood (and woodenheads) most of my life and sawdust is full of nasties.

Chefster

Reaction score
I always store my maggots in maize,as well,but clean the ones i am turning for the week;)

bracket

Reaction score

Turned a gallon or two of casters in my time. Always used white maggots never a dyed maggot, they always shrink when they cast and produce piddling small bait. I used damp organic sawdust to store the maggots whilst they turned. Pete.

flightliner

Reaction score
Strange also that red maggots to caster seldom seem to have the much desired "crunchy" shell, more a rubbery texture, they also go blacker much earlier than the whites.

robertroach

Reaction score
Try colouring them black. I don't colour them myself but I reckon black maggots might work pretty well.