The Art of Angling

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: The Art of Angling

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18390-the-art-of-angling.html

thumbnail.php

Read Mark Gaster's 'Art in Angling' and enjoy the superb images therein...

greenie62

Reaction score
Another Angling artist of note is the young scuptor I met fishing on the banks of the Dyfrdwy near Bala about 30 years ago - Neil Dalrymple. He's a fine fisherman - not just with the fly for game fish - but coarse fish too!

His '3D sculptures' of salmon have a real sense of character about them - like this one: Salmon Circle
Salmon-Circle_zpsybrxhhha.jpg

He has produced commemorative sculptures as prizes for International competitions and awards - and is still open to commissions from private individuals!:rolleyes: Neil Dalrymple | Ceramic stoneware sculptor

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For me, no one will better portray the "art of angling" better than deal old John Searl now sadly no longer with us, having died in March 2013.

Thankfully, however, his art and his books are still here and so very well worth reading: A Brush With the Avon and Chalkstream Roach are both truly rewarding.

Another very fine angling and wildlife artist is Robin Armstrong, and his books are equally worth getting, "Split Cane and Sable" and "Under the Bridge"

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I was impressed by the paintings of fish by Keith Linsell that featured in the Angling Times in the 70s and by Bernard Venables too. These and Chris Turnbull are more stylised depictions compared to say David Miller whose paintings are precise and accurate like photographs. I like either sort of approach, just dont have the money to buy any!.