Rugby Tackle

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I ordered a box from Rugby Tackle last Monday week, never came last Thursday like they said it would, deliver beginning of next week they said.? Rang Tuesday, we will deliver Thursday.? Now they aren't answering phone and by the looks of the website they have shut.

B+st+rds.

Fortunately I had the good sense to order on credit card and having rung them today they assure me I will have a full refund.

They still took money knowing they were going bust and still mislead me.

B+st+rds.

B+st+rds.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Rugby Tackle is one of my local shops. I ordered some rods and reels a few months ago, I got two rods and reels one month and ordered another two the same for the month after. They didnt have the reels in the shop (knowing full well that I wanted matching stuff) Bubbles did however ring round to try and get me one. I shall pay them a visit this weekend, if they have gone bust, presumably it is because of the Credit Crunch.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
What annoys me about this kind of scenario is that the shops will continue to take money and orders knowing full well they will not be delivering the goods. Of course it's not restricted to tackle shops - furniture and upholstery shops are frequently the villains of the piece in this respect.

If the pundits are to be believed, there will be many, many more local shops closing down in the near future. What is certain, however, is that those with customer loyalty will stand a better chance of survival that themavericks who provide nothing more than a catalogue and vague promises.

We need to support our (good) local tackle shops during these difficult times. Note I said 'good' - the cowboys can go to hell.

..............isn't it a shame they can't catch KHV.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Graham.jpg

Graham, was it you I saw doing some busking outside the shop and did you make enough to cover your losses.

Seriously though, isn't it the credit card company that you have to approach in order to get your money back in a situation like this?

Sorry, just re-read your post and I presume it was the card Co you rang.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well thats the credit crunch for you Graham.

My eldest son was caught up in the XL travel firm that went bust recently, he paid by debit card, so no chance of getting his money back. The guys at the top must know they are going belly up but have no conscience as far as their customers are concerned. Mercenary b*stards the lot of them.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I thought i read somewhere (anglers mail???) they are closed for a complete refurbishment and they are selling off alot of current stock cheaply.

I thought you were a banks & burr man trev ???

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Banks & Burr everytime for me.

Both shops are local, too many questioning oppinons on Rugby Tackle in the past stopped me changing.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I like to keep my options open lol. I was talking to Carlton today and he said that they arnt going bust as far as hes aware. Probably just a stock clearance exercise, Ill pop in tomorrow and see whats occuring.

stikflote

Reaction score
i too read they are shutting for refurbishment, however i ,ve read to many bad reports about them as well ,so i wouldnt use them

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

When I lived near Rugby - Cubbington Leamington to be exact, I used to patronise Banks & Burr, Bailey's of Warwick and J & K in Bicester. All excellent tackle shops.

Good old Merv was always worth a visit at J & K.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Ron when Ive seen you mention Merv on the site I did wonder if it was the same Merv from J & K. I used to shop there when I was stationed at Bicester. Nice chap and always gave good advice.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Ive just got back from the shop and I spoke to the owner, he said he isnt going bust at all. Hes just having a big stock clearout and everything is half price. I asked about the internet side of the business and he said it was changing and was going to get better. Graham hes in the shop all day and his phone is working.

If anyone lives near rugby and wants kit then get down there and get stuff cheap, while it lasts.

B

Bully

Well, I am glad they are OK (not that I know them), but these comments re taking payments while "knowing they are going bust" is a bit niave. Its normally the banks, main creditors who make that call, and one sure way to speed up the process is turn away business!

Also I would have thought the message had got through about buying online with debit cards. Unless I can get my hands on the goods there and then I'll always use a protected credit card. Remember paying by debit card as akin to handing over cash to a builder before he has even started to buy anything or the job. Would you do that?

S

Scott Whatmore

I hate to hear of companies that deliberately continue to take orders, and peoples money, knowing full well that they won't honour there part in the bargain.

Iremember many years ago, prob 1991-2 ish, a furniture company were advertising on the telly half price deals this weekend only. Yet as soon as the 'sale' was over on Monday morning the company anounced it was in receivership and everyone had lost their deposit. And to make matters worse, if customers had taken out interest free finance. not only had their deposit gone but they still had to pay the finance company the full amountwith no prospect of gettingtheir furniture.

Now to get an add campain on tv takes quite a while to arrange. So they had actually planned to con as many people as possible and then go under.

Criminal it is!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have been ringing this shop now for the last 20 minutes and still they don't answer, just as they never for the 3 or 4 days I rang before, neither have I received the box They aren't going to tell you they are going bust now are they Trev?

I regretted putting the bit about the cancer and did ask Peter to remove it, it was written when I was ranting having just found out that my money was gone but it was in bad taste I admit and I am sorry I did it.

I still hate them though, just as would anyone who knowingly cheats hard working, maybe poor people out of their money, I am neither but I still don't like people stealing my money.

ADMIN EDIT: I've edited the relevant posts. (NAM)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Merv Wilkinson a founder member of the Coventry Specimen Group, he virtually taught all his great angling skills to the likes of Tony Miles, Trefor West, Phil Smith, Mick Jelfs and a few others.