Is there a connection...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
...between losing fish at the net, in snags,or lack of control because you are sitting in a comfy low chair?
I feel a lot more in control on a seatbox or even better standing up.

Respectfully this doesn't apply to our disabled friends, although some will hopefully have an opinion....

Keith M

Reaction score
I find it much easier to control a fish from a high seat or when standing up, and I will always try to get up from a low seat if it feels like I have a decent fish on the end of my line.

Keith

carpinbob

Reaction score
Either standing up or on a box for me,only ever tried a chair a couple of times never again.

Chefster

Reaction score
Always sat on a box,never stand up,to play fish,i would never fish from a chair anyway..Gazza

seth49

Reaction score
Most smaller fish I'll play them sat in my chair, but anything of any size I always stand up to play them.

Will probably need to hold the rod out to keep them out of the margin vegetation , don't use a pole, just don't like them. This is on Stillwaters, usually stood up to fish on river.

john step

Reaction score
Never sit in a low chair anyway. My back is too precious.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I suppose it's what you are use to ?

Low chairs have always been part of my fishing tackle, but I don't fish commercials and rarely club lakes.

It's canals, rivers and mainly gravel pits for me, where my legs dangle down the bank.

Most of the time the bites I get are few and far between, so I stand up to play the fish.

If I'm trotting, I tend to just sit on the chair and don't stand up because I have a bad back and I have never had a problem.

Bob

thecrow

Reaction score
For me it depends on a few things, type of swim, size and species of fish, tackle being used.

I always fish from a chair and do at times struggle to get up from it perhaps I need a higher one although the one I use isn't that low, depending on the swim I can sometimes end up playing a fish while kneeling as I would not be able to net the fish while standing. For me whether I stand or not is an instinctive thing dictated by the fish I never actually think "better stand for this one" so as long as the seat being used suits the angler and style of fishing being done I don't see a difference between chairs and boxes.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
have no engineering background so therefore cannot comment on the mechanical dynamics, however, experience over many years, tells me that it is far easier, and with a lot less losses, to play and land a sizable fish form a standing position.

I tend to use both a low-ish chair (Korum) as well as a seat box, (Preston) depending on venue and methods etc., but have always stood up to play and land large fish.

rubio

Reaction score
I anticipate sitting comfortably as I battle my grander Marlin from the fighting chair of a cruiser offshore of Hawaii or somesuch, but otherwise I'm convinced fishing chairs are specifically targeted for when you aren't catching fish.

rayner

Reaction score
I've lost my share of fish always down to bad hook holds, never me.
I doubt sitting or standing makes a real difference to landing fish but standing every time you play a fish is a sure fire way of destroying margin swims.
I can't understand why people do it, it also makes me smile when someone is playing a fish on the pole and to net the fish they stand with their arm stretched up instead of taking a section or two off.
If you prefer to stand ignore this post. :D