A celebration of a journey

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It's now sixty four years since I began my fishing journey, beginning with small fish (Perch) on a local canal. And progressing through all the species with the latest tackle through each decade.

Inevitably I have succeeded with certain species more than others, and have seen the changes in tackle and techniques. It's been a wonderful experience, one that continues up to the present day.

This may go some way to explaining a question that was asked in a recent thread, ''How does Derek come up with so many threads''. In reality it's nothing more than a lifetimes experience, all of which I've been embroiled in at some time or another, which inevitably leads to conclusions which I enjoy sharing with others. Hopefully for our mutual benefit.

Please note, no speech marks on the title lol.

mikench

Reaction score
Well said and long may that journey continue! Tackle has certainly changed in the last 50 years or so as has the speed with which new bits come onto the market to tempt us. It is certainly good business for some!:)

john step

Reaction score
Its certainly a journey. One that I personally feel has a long way to go go.
Perhaps thats because I don't feel very good at it and after I lick my wounds after a blank there is resolve to do better.

I have often wondered about the people who seem to make it look easy. I say seem because they are good at it that is why they make it look easy.

Sometimes though you can feel you are doing everything correctly and having limited success and then someone plonks down, casts a float out grotesquely shotted and starts catching. We have all seen this sort of scene. Luck I know, but there again are they gifted in some way I cannot detect.

There have been a couple of threads on HOW DID YOU GET ON where someone glibly talks about a couple of 6lb tench or a couple of 5lb chub during a quick session.

Oh I wish.These are big fish where I fish.

I have got in a bit of a muddle as to what I am trying to get across but I suppose it is as the thread suggests...a long journey.

rayner

Reaction score
My first fish was a tommy ruff.
If it has been a journey for me it has flown by. Tying hooks for tomorrow as I type between hooks. Three to do.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Perhaps thats because I don't feel very good at it and after I lick my wounds after a blank there is resolve to do better.

I have often wondered about the people who seem to make it look easy. I say seem because they are good at it that is why they make it look easy.

Sometimes though you can feel you are doing everything correctly and having limited success and then someone plonks down, casts a float out grotesquely shotted and starts catching. We have all seen this sort of scene. Luck I know, but there again are they gifted in some way I cannot detect.

There have been a couple of threads on HOW DID YOU GET ON where someone glibly talks about a couple of 6lb tench or a couple of 5lb chub during a quick session.

I have got in a bit of a muddle as to what I am trying to get across but I suppose it is as the thread suggests...a long journey.

Its all relative John, a 4lb chub I have never caught on one river in 20 years of trying or a 1lb roach on the same river. My personal best perch is no more than a 1lb, never caught a double pike, barbel or carp. So I wont be setting up as an angling guru too soon but still plenty to look forward to, take your average fish size wherever you fish and judge all fish by that, you will see them in a different light maybe. Those 5lb chub, 6lb tench will pale into insignificance:)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
It's now sixty four years since I began my fishing journey, beginning with small fish (Perch) on a local canal. And progressing through all the species with the latest tackle through each decade.

Inevitably I have succeeded with certain species more than others, and have seen the changes in tackle and techniques. It's been a wonderful experience, one that continues up to the present day.

This may go some way to explaining a question that was asked in a recent thread, ''How does Derek come up with so many threads''. In reality it's nothing more than a lifetimes experience, all of which I've been embroiled in at some time or another, which inevitably leads to conclusions which I enjoy sharing with others. Hopefully for our mutual benefit.

Please note, no speech marks on the title lol.

Derek

We all have to start some where, in my case it was Connaught Waters in Epping Forest, a friends Dad took us and I was hooked from the very first visit.

That would have been 64 years ago, it was properly a tiny Perch that set me on a lifetime of fishing.

Tackle changes, methods change and bait changes, I have loved every moment of it, I personally have turned the clock back, preferring vintage tackle, methods and baits.

But I'm open to new methods, new thinking, I just need to be convinced, as for the size of the fish, you can only catch what's in front of you ?

As for the number of Threads you produce Derek, we have fished roughly the same time and I certainly could not come up with anything like the number of interesting Threads.

Bob

B

binka

I believe a lifelong angling journey is a rich one full of unexpected turns onto unexplored lanes which you previously had no knowledge of.

If you like what you find you can stay there or, if you prefer to explore further, you can get back on to the road and take the next unexplored turn.

Either way it all adds up to experience which, in many cases, is as interesting to read of other's adventures as it is reflecting on your own.

Long may the journey continue...

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
My journey only started five years ago, I wish I'd started it sooner, it's had some wonderful moments and a few disappointments, if it can continue for another twenty years I'll be happy

robtherake

Reaction score
Its all relative John, a 4lb chub I have never caught on one river in 20 years of trying or a 1lb roach on the same river. My personal best perch is no more than a 1lb, never caught a double pike, barbel or carp. So I wont be setting up as an angling guru too soon but still plenty to look forward to, take your average fish size wherever you fish and judge all fish by that, you will see them in a different light maybe. Those 5lb chub, 6lb tench will pale into insignificance:)

It's a good philosophy, Mark. Most of the caravan park pools I've been fishing only hold fish that are fair to middling, but it certainly beats sitting at home. :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It's a good philosophy, Mark. Most of the caravan park pools I've been fishing only hold fish that are fair to middling, but it certainly beats sitting at home. :)

Dead right Rob, beats sitting at home whatever you don't catch! beats stamp collecting any day. And fair to middling means there must be a few above fair to middling in there somewhere.
And there's always the Journey, wouldn't swap all the places I have been, the great buddies I have fished with, some gone now but full of fond memories of them, the stories, days with the family ect ect. You just don't get that with stamp collecting.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
My journey only started five years ago, I wish I'd started it sooner,

Thats interesting. I was admonished a year or two ago when I welcomed a new member who stated he had come to fishing later in life.
I said its a shame he hadn't found it earlier.
He said he had had a busy and full life.
I didn't reply but I still feel that its a life journey for some and you can have a successful career and life and yet still be obsessed with this game.

I was top Johny B*llox nationally in my field but still the fishing was the one game I constantly thought more about. Never being able to cross a bridge without looking over to peer in to the depths. You know the feeling.

I was actually thinking of that actor Geoffrey ******( cannot recall surname...the one in butterflies) who said on a TV film about coming to angling later in life" all those wasted years".

I could not have imagined what life would have been without this journey.
Well done Derek for good thought provoking threads.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I believe a lifelong angling journey is a rich one full of unexpected turns onto unexplored lanes which you previously had no knowledge of.

Exactly like my journey back from Farmoor a few weeks ago when they shut the A40 at Oxford !

I have come to grudgingly accept that as the years advance I'm entering the crawler lane of my journey now. Loads of things I wished I'd tried sooner but equally loads of things left to try. I cant imagine ever not doing this.

mikench

Reaction score
Geoffrey Palmer! Wish I had restarted sooner but I say that about every hobby I have ever pursued:wh

psmith

Reaction score

You diminish their effort in out fishing you by referring to luck. It is an assumption probably widely held that those who dare to differ are "lucky" when they succeed. Possibly such folk don't consider intricate shotting to be important?

mikench

Reaction score
You make your own luck and have you noticed that the more you practice the luckier you become:)