Posting rods

sagalout

Reaction score
Just a quick note to say that if you use the ups site directly (https://www.upstoday.com/?utm_sourc...e1&WT.ac=UPS_HP_GB_UPSToday_Mrktg_P1_U2_en_gb) you can courier rods for £8.40, that's including the dreaded VAT and pick up from your place. I booked on Sunday afternoon and they picked up Monday morning and delivered today (Tuesday). Can't be bad.

Interestingly it is powered by the parcel2go software, but is loads cheaper than UPS via parcel2go and UPS insure it for £50 as standard and parcel2go only to £20. Note the rod is insured for loss only, not breakage but I think that is pretty standard otherwise we would all just post broken rods to each other. Imagine the damage to the insurance industry that Binka would cause.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
The recipient phoned yesterday to say the two piece rod arrived in 4 pieces, from the photos it looks like the tube has been folded in half. Awaiting a response from UPS. I suspect it will involve the phrase "tough t1tties" because none of the couriers insure rods for breakages, but I am trying because this is a case of a total failure of care on their part. We shall see.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

I shall probably only sell rods as collect only in future, this has turned into a real ball ache. Bloke wants his money back but I sent rod in excellent condition, in a brand new rod tube, and paid for the courier!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
So much for UPS!:( what tube did you use? The drainpipe type look indestructible!

sagalout

Reaction score
I used a 2.25 inch 2m rod tube black with red caps. I would say they are very good protection but they are only a plastic tube and it was clearly bent in half.

mikench

Reaction score
Sounds deliberate to me. I looked at one of these to transport a rod by plane and thought it would easily withstand the bangs, drops and crushings ,particularly if filled with foam or bubble wrap. Have a go at bending another one in two; I'll bet it takes some effort like being run over by a truck!!!!!:wh

sagalout

Reaction score
I don't think it's deliberate, I suspect it's got caught up when be mechanically moved.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Effin couriers, i once sent a brand new daiwa whisker kevlar fly rod and a old but unused JWilson avon quiver one by royal mail and the other via TNT.
Both arrived at the buyers houses the next day in peices!
I was p!$$ed off to say the least. It turned out TNT didn't cover them with insurance so the wilson rod had just been thrown away and had cost me two lots of postage. The royal mail was at least insured and I got my sale price back.
TNT told my mrs that it had probably been broken in their machinery ffs!...no wonder they won't ****** insure them. Knowing their machinery breaks rods why the fekc do thet accept them and the jib on paying out for the damage they've done.
I suspect the one sent by royal mail had been leaned on a wall and stamped on.
I think parcel force are the best of a bad bunch as they do at least insure them all be it at quite a price!

sagalout

Reaction score
I must add UPS have been very good at handling the fact that they ferked up the handling (see what I did there?) of the rod even thought they do not cover rods for breakages they agreed it was unacceptable and paid out the full insured value and the cost of posting.

Problem now is because they stated it was not insured for breakage I didn't increase the insurance above the standard fifty quid, so I am well out of pocket.