Conspiracy,paranoia or is it just me ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Those of you that have been following my long running battle with the Dept of Transport will understand that I am beginning to wonder if I am being deliberately targeted.

I reckon, on average, I spend nearly as much time stuck on the M25 as I do actually fishing. Today I wasn't fishing...I was off to Hoddesdon to pick up my repaired rod. Route....M25 North. That will fool em I thought. No chance.

Clearly I had missed all the publicity surrounding " Drive your Lorry like a Nutter" day and found myself in the middle of the first qualifying round. Bloody maniacs. I then had some idiot in a Nissan go from the outside lane to the exit in about 2 car spaces. How he did not take my front off I will never know.

Coming back I thought I'd missed it but no.....around Watford we had "Formation Artic Uphill Overtaking" so I baled out a junction early only to discover that Farmer Giles had decided that 4-30 was the perfect time to send all 3 of his tractors out on the only road to my place.

Am I just unlucky or have the barstids stuck a tracker on my car ? Is the M25 unique or do you get this where you live too ?

As Mario says " Why always me ? "

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if it was illegal for all lorries and caravans to overtake on roads with two lanes or less during the day; and only allow them to overtake on a motorway at this time of day.
That would force a lot of them to travel in the dead of night when they are less of a problem LOL.

And we would no longer be stuck behind lorries that take a long long long long time to overtake each other lOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
M25 last thursday taking my son to Heathrow Airport, 6 pm, one of the worst times, if there is a worse time that is.

Silly Boll**ks in his Merc, weaving in and out the traffic, thinking he is getting further up the road. Twice he changed lanes in front of me, twice he ended up behind me, as the traffic slowed down in the lanes he moved into.

Third time he tried it, he had a full blow out in the fast lane, it was like a bomb going off.

Then i came across the, I own the road Taxi driver. Trying the same thing as we drove into terminal 5, he got the V sign, with the verbal out the window as i cut him up to get my own back.

He looked at me as if I was some kind of Nutter just got out after 25 years inside. Just so he knew, i put the brakes on rather hard also, he backed off and waited for me to pull into a space before he made his next move up the road.

Driving on the M25, or in London, or any other major City or motorway come to that, your caught up, like it or not.

The M25 used to be clear early doors (3 to 4am) going fishing, not now, it's lorry after lorry all night long.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
When HGVs decide to conduct their own races over 10+ miles of motorway I call it elephant racing - ever since Plod gave up patrolling & became reliant on speed cameras to police the roads, all standards of driving any type of vehicle have fallen considerably - I wish I had a vapouriser to eliminate the idiots I come across so as not to cause any danger to other law abiding citizens.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
On those occasions when work necessitates I venture onto the M25 and beyond, I find timing is the predominate factor, between 7-9.00 am, and from 3.00 pm onwards are times to avoid like the plague. Can I suggest either moving home, or considering a change of career:D:D

The M6 can be just as unfriendly, it's a case of knowing when not to be on it.

Perhaps the numpties who operate the speed restrictions and traffic flow have had issues with HMRC:)

If it's bad on the M25, try the M42 Northbound or the A14, both two lanes, the artics love it :eek:mg:

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
There were 2 cars together on my road today.

Sunday of course, up until 11am its like ghost town. Even the main roads.

If you want to move back in time 30 years, Herefordshire is the place.

Thank Goodness the trip from Maidenhead to LHR that I did for 15 years is a distant nightmare.

S-Kippy.....Move.

slaphead

Reaction score
You can also add the M60 around Manchester to the no go list, especially at the moment with the seemingly endless roadworks. :eek:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What really gets me about the M 25 ( and most other motorways) are the dangerous idiots that you can do nothing about because you are trapped in lanes full of moving traffic. The lorry that decides its pulling out come what may, the idiot coming up your inside at 90 mph or my favourite......the bloke that knows he's coming off at the next exit yet is still doing 80 in the outside lane until he's 20 yards from the exit lane! !

Where did these people learn to drive ?

And another thing ! Who in their right mind thinks it's a good idea to dig up one of the main holiday routes ( the M3) during the summer ? The M3 junction off the 25 is regularly closed and I think the roadworks at times have stretched for 18 miles ! Utter lunacy !

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The M3 road works have been going on for well over a year now.

I got caught in them when i was coming back from the LIF, bloody nightmare.

robtherake

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if it was illegal for all lorries and caravans to overtake on roads with two lanes or less during the day; and only be allowed to overtake on a motorway at this time of day.
That would force a lot of them to travel in the dead of night when they are less of a problem LOL.

And we would no longer be stuck behind lorries that take a long long long long time to overtake each other lOL.

Keith

Mate, when we're out in our old bus the lorries are overtaking us.:D

Although your suggestion re forcing slowcoaches to travel at night was tongue in cheek, I honestly think it's a good idea, although the truckers might disagree. I'd be happy to do so, for motorway driving - I'm down to 50 on a big incline and truck drivers get aggressive and angry about it. Frankly, I think a lot of them are playing on their phones (or whatever)and end up being forced to brake late when the middle lane's blocked, so take it out on us instead. Whatever the reason it's bloody frightening when a fully loaded eighteen-wheeler leans on its horn from a few feet away. It's brown trouser time...:eek::mad:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pulled out of Heathrow once, got up to about 60mph, it was at night and an old couple had decided to stop to look at a sign, I was almost into the back of them before I realized they were stationary, just managed to swerve right, lucky nothing was coming up the next lane behind me..
Drove professionally for a number of years all over the country, its a miracle I survived and I mean a miracle! Ive seen all sorts and several near brown bread defying misses, too many to list.

mikench

Reaction score
The reality is that motoring/driving is rarely a pleasure. There are too many vehicles on the roads which coupled with roadworks makes normal progress impossible.

I am uncertain if standards of driving have fallen or if, through the ageing process, I have just become far less tolerant.

Years ago I had an XR4 which had two large red buttons on the central steering wheel boss; these operated the horn! However to me one was a heavy machine gun and the other fired missiles! Oh what fun to give someone a blast of the horn and imagining him being vapourised. Even my kids asked me to blast the" pillock" up ahead! It did relieve my stress but I was killing dozens every day!!!::rolleyes:

You could buy a toy simulator for the car which made the sound of a machine gun and i was very tempted but decided it gave a bad example to the kids!!:)

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I've often thought that it would be nice to have a rear screen on which I could display scrolling text that said things like "Pull back you idiot, you are almost up my backside!" or "Stop hogging the middle lane you idiot!" which I could display after I have managed to overtake them. However it would probably cause more trouble than it's worth.

Keith

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Just mighty glad i no longer commute between Birmingham and Manchester any longer.
One bank holiday friday it took me 8.5 hours to get from the bridge over the manchester ship canal to junction 14 (stafford) on the M6 . i jacked it in 6 weeks later by ending up back in hospital with yet another problem with the right femur ( 2 knees one between the knee and the hip ) .

PG ...

john step

Reaction score
There are idiots everywhere. Unfortunately no one is perfect like me:D:D

Skippy, in my part of Lincs you often get a rolling traffic jam of half a dozen cars.

You would be very welcome up here.Another 20 years I am told I will be a local.
The fishing isn't too bad. Unfortunately sometimes though there is another angler fishing the same lake as me:wh

ciprinus

Reaction score
i used to drive for a living and i went thru so many emotions on a daily basis that i felt physically sick at the end of a days work, in 2008 i had a life threatening heart attack (not your mild little murmur but a full blown 15 times resuscitated jobbie) just before i left hospital the doc gave me the best bit of advice i have ever received in my 60+ years, she (yep!!) said take every journey in your stride and enjoy every minute like it was your last.
i can happily sit in traffic for hours with the kids yelling at each other now and see the funny side of it :D
we are currently plotting our route from wolverhampton to the french riviera and i am driving the mini bus :wh:D

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I've often thought that it would be nice to have a rear screen on which I could display scrolling text that said things like "Pull back you idiot, you are almost up my backside!" or "Stop hogging the middle lane you idiot!" which I could display after I have managed to overtake them. However it would probably cause more trouble than it's worth.

Keith

Keith, when I lived in St. Albans I came upon such a person with signs.

That pr1ck must have had a complete set of large cards prepared in the passenger footwell all indexed and waiting to go.......PRINTED IN REVERSE so the dipstick could hold up the sign and i could read it correctly in my rear view mirror.

The one displayed for my particular crime was "YOUR BRAKE LIGHT IS DEFECTIVE"

I actually knew as I had just noted the fact in the darkness of the multi storey.

Still it gave great entertainment to me to studiously ignore his tooting and gesticulating whilst waiting to exit the said car park.
I theatrically looked left and right and pretended to be puzzled as to where the tooting was coming from.

Great fun, bast8rd that I am:D:D

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Ciprinus have a great holiday and drive carefully. French drivers are bad in my view but the A6 and A8 are reasonably safe. Off to Nice myself today for 10 days but I am flying. I plan to have a go at Lac du St Cassien fishing for trout with a spinning rod.