Two Great Days with Martin James

F

Fred Bonney

If you ever get the chance to meet Martin,I can guarantee youtotal entertainment.

A friendly, and genuine ol'boy.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I. along with Tag Barnes and Eric Hodson were once interviewed by Martin for his Radio Lancs programme.

That was in 1994.

F

Fred Bonney

Mygrilling is due on the 18th December.

Watch out Wossy!

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Merv.

I had one of those days, when I should have been elsewhere(on the Severn),and found it quite therapeutic, to sit down and write this short piece.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yup, an easy to read, i like, nice one Fred.

Reaction score
Glad you liked your couple of days fishing Fred . Martin truely is a great bloke I have learnt loads from him . I know wot you meen about him not being an early riser . Ask him about my monster pike that nearly was ? lol . I see he has got you on that bread next thing you know you will have some sausage meat on the hook . Sorry Fred I have to call you A lier I just dont belive Martin sent you a message I dont belive he knows how too . In all honestly anybody who has the chance to go fishing with Martin DO IT you will some and have fun witn it to . If I can anyone can

F

Fred Bonney

He sends me loads of messages Brendan, in fact he sent the permit yesterday, have you got yours?

I've also got a wodge of his sausage meat, although it looks like it's been out of the freezer, and back again a few times!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Despite the lack of fish it sounds as though you had a great time Fred. A nice read and a lovely way to start off a Sat morning as I eat my porridge.

Martin Salisbury

Reaction score
Hi Fred,

Great article.

I don't think many people realise just how much Martin J does for our sport.

Many might just see his 'ugly mug'in the angling weeklies with big fish but he does so much more behind the scenes as well as his more upfront and popular radio show.

Many guides charge a large fee for a days fishing (and I have on occasions paid a fee) but Martin J will take you out for a day for the cost of the permit and a donation to charity. Just make sure you are pleasant and polite and you will learn loads. Don't be afraid to ask him for a masterclass!

Make sure you don't fish too often with him though as it becomes disheartening when he constantly outfishes you!!! My excuse is always that he has plenty more years experience than me.............

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I've been out with Martin several times. I'm of the firm opinion that he's barking mad, but great fun! Even on the rare occasions when we've blanked, it's still been entertaining, to say the least!

He's taken me fishing for chub several times, as well as teaching me how to fly fish. I can't tell you how much fun I've had, and how much I've learned over the past couple of years. If I need any advice, I only need to give him a call or send him an e-mail, and he answers all my silly questions with unbelievable patience!

As has been said, he won't take a penny for his guiding services, so I've set up a monthly payment to Crossroads Carers as my way of thanking him for all the help and advice.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have a book signed by the man himself somewhere around.

If I can find it, I will put it up for sale on here, Money to go to Mr Farrow for the Charity.

Have to find it first.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I have a mint condition copy of his book, with a lovely personalised inscription from Martin following one of our fishing trips. I'ts an inspiring read of triumph over adversity. The picture of him on the front cover, fly fishing in the middle of a river in a wheelchair says a lot about the man and his strength of character.

Sorry, charity or not, I wouldn't part with it!

However, I'd like a copy to give to one of my angling friends, so Ray, if you can find yours, I'll be the first to put in a bid!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Janet,

I have read the book, it is only sitting somewhere in the house, so I would rather sell it and give the money to a good cause.

Good book, yes, but this way others get to benefit, better than it just collecting dust somewhere.

I will find the bloody thing.

Reaction score
Fred
yes i have got my permit I look forward to seeing you soon
Janet
you wont to go fishing with Martin on the kennet you two would be lovely and cosy in the cabin ? sipping a glass or two of sharaz
Ray
since the book has been defaced I will bid 20 p only because my dinning table is wobbly and it might just stop it

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Am well looking forward to my proposed fishing expedition to the Kennet with Martin after Christmas.

My fishing can only get better from his company and advice.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Brendan,

I've not found it yet, got a feeling it's been thrown out.

It was signed at a BS meeting, a number of years ago.

Defaced, last time I saw it, it was in mint condition, for 20p that's defacing it, you tight person.