What is a match rod?

xenon

Reaction score
not sure what that term means anymore-or rather the meaning has expanded to include functions unknown back in the 70's when all it meant was a float rod of about 13ft for mostly silver fish-font think one single rod could cover all applications nowadays.

barbelboi

Reaction score
A match rod has a fast action being effective for setting the hook when waggler/stick float fishing at distance. A float rod has more of a through action.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A match rod is a float rod, but not all float rods are match rods. I suspect that the lines are getting really blurred now as most matchmen aren't using what would have been called a match rod twenty or thirty years ago. A float rod used in matches these days is probably no more than 12' and quite dissimilar to the rods that are actually called match rods.

If you say match rod to me, it brings to mind what it would have done in the eighties/nineties. A three piece rod, absolute minimum of 12' long, but usually 13' or 14' with the occasional 15'er to be found. The only discrepancy I can think of would be the odd canal match rod which might sneak in at 11 or 11.5' long. Compared to many modern type "commercial" float rods, it would have a relatively fast action rather than a more through action. A match rod might be further split into sub categories of waggler, stick or canal along with appropriate changes in action. A stick rod having the fastest action and canal rod being the softest and most through actioned.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few differently named float rods of various lengths supposadly designed for different float fishing styles but I still think of a float rod as being a match rod.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few differently named float rods of various lengths supposadly designed for different float fishing styles but I still think of a float rod as being a match rod.

And I bet I know what line you stick on it...................;)