Braid for lure fishing

steve2

Reaction score
When I finally packed up work a few weeks ago I was bought a new reel for my lure fishing. Although I use braid for all my lure fishing it as been on the reels for a few years and I can’t remember the make. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good quality braid for lure fishing? I am thinking of buy Power Pro does anyone use it.

sumtime

Reaction score
Power Pro all the way. ;)

I'm sure that at one time Graham Elliott sold this, I could be wrong.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm another fan of powerpro but if i'm honest i've found that the B/S and diameter is noticeably different in the same B/S from batch to batch.
Also there does seem to be some blagg power pro being sold, apparently even shopkeepers have been fooled with the fake stuff and sold it unknowingly.

Prestons used to make a excellent braid, I think it was a sinking braid but it was great when I used a friends rod and reel that was spooled up with it. It cast really well and felt good quality when I felt examined it. My friend had got it for casting distance whilst feeder fishing for bream in Ireland and he was very happy with it.

buick_toni

Reaction score
I used Power Pro for years (0.15/0.23/0.28/0.32), can't really say anything bad about it, so if you want a solid good line that won't let you down that's propably the way to go. The only drawback is that it's VERY noisy in guides. Small thing though, as it's very durable, strong and easy to cast.

Lately I've got an urge to try things out a bit; no Power Pro on reels right now!

-Spider Wire (0.25): Not so good. I think it's more famous for it's name than quality! It frays very quickly, loses color (as all braids), get more tangles than Power Pro. I just don't like it that much, and have to say I don't rely it on very much. I have to admit that I had a slight reel problem, which might contibute to this, so can't be 100% sure. Still not very convinced. (And regarding most of the reviews I've read my experience seems right).

-Savage Gear 4HD (0.13/0.22): These two were different. Most of the time, if you want good and cheap, you have to buy two products. Not this time! This line I really liked, it's durable, it's soft AND it's cheap. Maybe the best purchase I've made line-wise for years. I recommend this one!

Most people who have used Fireline have told it to be an excellent line, so I'll probably try it out next.

Not saying that one wouldn't know, but remember to use a knot meant for braid. :)

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Thanks, I have got a feeling my other braid might be an old Fireline or that might be the one I used on my old ledger setup when long range Breaming.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I would have said PowerPro. Every one of my reels is loaded with it apart from one where I need mono. BUT, a similar question came up on an NZ forum. I was told that I was a dinosaur for using PowerPro and the new kid of the block is Daiwa J-Braid. These guys fish with lures 100% of the time and know what they're talking about. Don't shoot the messenger!

rodreelllurefish

Reaction score
I have five reels with braid. Four of them are spooled Berkley crystal fireline the other with power pro. About to change that one over to fireline too.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know we all have our favourites but fireline crystal is thick and rough in comparison to PP and it goes furry/frays. This has never happend with any PP that i've had...imo opinion PP is streets ahead of crystal.

rodreelllurefish

Reaction score
I know we all have our favourites but fireline crystal is thick and rough in comparison to PP and it goes furry/frays. This has never happend with any PP that i've had...imo opinion PP is streets ahead of crystal.

That's why I use it. Thicker then pp so it does not get wind knots. Power Pro is to limp for the conditions I use it in.