Fishing the poleį

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I have to admit.
I have never fished the pole. Am I missing something?
Or just saving the £'000 s it might cost?

soft plastic

Reaction score
After 50+ years of all aspects of angling, I had never fished the pole until recently. What can I say? It has revolutionised my fishing, particularly for silver fish. In the right conditions the pole can be deadly and definitely improve catches. It's not the be all and end all, no single method is, but as I said deadly in the right conditions.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Don't ask a dedicated pole angler, ask the likes of Skippy that was a long term cynic that has now found the merits of pole fishing. I don't believe that he spent thousands and doubt the need to unless you get right into it. Budget poles at the shorter lengths are often perfectly acceptable.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Long term cynic just about sums me up perfectly....and not just so far as angling goes.

Yes...I'm a convert. In the right situation/circumstances it has proved to be an absolute revelation......and much more enjoyable than I imagined. I converted for my crucian and roach fishing on stillwaters and it's improved matters no end and I haven't spent a fortune doing it.

Give it a go. You might be surprised.....I certainly was.

Footnote : I must add that I'm only using my pole at a max of about 11m......often less, so my experiences are based solely on fishing at fairly close range. No idea what it would be like to fish a long pole and frankly I've no intention of finding out. That's not what I bought one for. The presentation is so much better, I miss far fewer bites and you can feed far more accurately. I love it BUT I am using it in very specific situations. I started with a cheap Maver and it was perfectly adequate.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
The most effective use of a pole is to ‘ferry’ your running line end tackle (and feed) under those inaccessible bushes/rafts on the other side of the river..................:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never fancied pole fishing but once tried it for an hour using a friends set up. I caught a few fish, carp, chub etc but being totally honest it gave me no plaeasure whatsoever. Obviously we all enjoy different methods and using different types of tackle but for me personally, I wouldn't go near a pole with a barge pole lol.
I much prefer the freedome that you get using a rod and reel, I just can't imagine roaving a river with a 60 meter pole in my hand and carting all the stuff that goes with it...that was a joke by the way, but I have treid to picture doing it lol.

Forgot to say, when I did use a pole it felt as though the pole and elastic were doing everything for me, sort of knumbed the fight taking the pleasure away...just the feeling I got when using it so they're deffo not for me.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Aquired one some weeks ago, a sixteen metre job. Initially to do as bbb said, dropping baits under overhanging trees on narrow rivers.
Then tried it "proper" on a syndicate water at eleven metre and had a bag of some twenty plus bream.
Novel, yes, fun, yes, effective, most certainly so I will definately use it some more but as I do a bit of everything it will have to take its place alongside twenty plus other rods.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think that's the point, Flight. A pole has its place and, in certain situations, it will beat a running line hands down. I enjoy it enormously but I wouldn't want to do it all the time and when I'm set up I don't look lke a mobile SAM site either.

trotter2

Reaction score
I fished the pole for a number of years but returned back to simple rod and line fishing.
Its effective beyond question but lacks portability. The ability to up sticks and move is too important in my fishing.

I would say try it and make your own mind up.

stevejay

Reaction score
I was brought up fishing rod and line on a canal but in the late 70's poles started to become widely available and revolutionised canal fishing and then other areas of the sport. In matches you had to follow suit as no matter how good a waggler angler you were, you could not match pole presentation in anything but perfect conditions.

I grew to love pole fishing but have to admit, I find fishing a waggler more enjoyable. The fish seem to feel larger and I get more pleasure, but as has been said, pole fishing is now available relatively cheaply and with commercial pools offering good sport, it is well worth seeing if you like it. You can't argue that it is the most effective method for small to medium sized specimens on most venues.

bracket

Reaction score
I am no pole expert, but have used a pole for many years now. Both on rivers and still waters. As has already been said "its just another club in the bag" and a method to be learnt. It can be devastating on the day, but it's not the first thing I reach for. The main advantages are: you can put your hook bait exactly where you want it, everytime. Likewise your feed. I find that majority of my pole fishing is done between 7m and 13m and whilst I do have a 16m Maver pole, which is handy on very rare occassions, I tend to mainly use an old 14.5m Diawa pole I bought for £750, 22 years ago. It's straight as a die, ideal for both slivers and poxy carp, I can fish all day with it and spares are still availible. Poles of this ilk and age must be going for a pittance on ebay nowadays. When fishing at 13m I use the pole made up to it's full 14.5m, as I like a section sticking out behind me as a counter balance. Pete.

sagalout

Reaction score
Graham you are welcome to come and play with mine (as the bishop said to the actress) you can even use the Lout 360 for extreme comfort. As already stated above it is another fishing tool. For accuracy, presentation, and shy biters like crucians I don't think it can be beaten.

I fished a certain pond not a million miles from us, and on the rod and line one day I had loads of fish but only 1 crucian, the next day on the pole I had loads and loads and loads of 'em. You can feed small amounts with pin point accuracy and "strike" at every movement of the float.

I do think that mainly they are a still water tool, and they are next door to flippin useless near snags.

If your interested in 'avin a go PM me and we'll set something up. The wife's away til the 18th so I are mostly fishing every day.

Last edited:
B

binka

I had a few years fishing the pole, absolutely deadly but as I've said before it polarised my fishing too much as it got to the stage where I never wanted to fish any other method.

Even on the Trent back in the doldrum days I was using the pole instead of the stick to get some nice bags of roach once I'd located 'em.

I started off with a second hand browning which I paid about £350 for and soon splurged well over a grand when I moved on to a first generation Daiwa Whisker when it was more of an all round pole circa 2000-2001.

Even when I had my Matlock DAA book for the Derwent I would invariably end up bagging grayling from under my feet using the top three when the river was crying out for a running line approach.

Do I miss it?

Yes.

Am I better off without it?

Definitely.

:)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Sagalou, yes please but got a fishing pal here 14/15 and away 16/17th and only just fixed up a short pike session tomorrow.

Only day possible really tuesday 12th for half day,
Is it forest of dean water?
I'd like couple hours rod and few hours pole if possible.

Otherwise have to fix after mob arrives 23rd?
Cheers