The Fishing Adventurer - TV Program

maceo

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this show? It's presented by a chap called Cyril Chaquet and was made for the Canadians I think. They started showing it recently on the Travel Channel and I saw one or two. Not too bad really.

He seems like quite a personable fella. Certainly nothing like the unwatchable self-regarding twittish "monster hunters" that come out on the TV here.

In one show he followed the well-trodden path to Cuba, but rather than just a couple of long distance shots of old American cars and colonial buildings then off to sea in a motor boat for the rest of the show, he actually met Cuban fishermen and talked to them and let them have a go with his expensive rod and reel etc.

He went down on the seafront where a load of Cubans were fishing and they told him no, there was nothing doing today, no bites. "Let me have a go" he said and to their obvious amazement and pleasure went and caught straight away. Now that's impressive - outdoing the locals! However he didn't give it the big "I am" or anything like that and was very good natured and humble. As I said, he even gave them a go with his posh gear.

Another thing I like about him is that he laughs like a drain when he catches. Not the "Whoa-ho-ho" while gurning directly into the camera, that's the staple of fishing programs, but from what appears to be genuine delight and pleasure with fishing. I really warmed to him.

The Venezuelan episode I saw was good too. Again he was mixing with the people, finding out their techniques and even eating the catch fried up with some lemon in some backwoods shack with a couple he met up with.

I'd recommend catching this program if you see it come on. It's definitely worth a look.

Travel Channel United Kingdom | Shows: Fishing Adventurer

220px-Cyril_Chauquet.jpg

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Yes I've seen it. Been on the tv for about a decade now.
Fair play to him and all that but not really my cup of tea.
I'd like to see him down the cut on a Sunday morning in January.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Talking of fishing programmes on TV........Last night, quite by chance I watched one called ' Giant Carp ' on ITV 4at 8am ( sponsored by Korda ) introduced by a certain chap called Ali Hamidi. Must be a ' name ' in carping circles but I didn't know of him, not being a carper.
He fished with two others on a huge lake in Hungary for some days and they caught a number of 30lb+ fish, but not what they were after.......Apparently the water holds fish of 2/3 times as big................

A boat was used to take the baits out 400yds and on the 'take ' the fish were just pumped in as far as I could see. It didn't look to be very exciting fishing in my book, BUT then , as I say, I'm not a carper !
It had all the larking around / lost fish bits so might be of interest to some....I switched off after 30 mins....................

Maceo....Perhaps I should've run a new thread for this but it seemed relevant enough to add it to yours - apologies if not !!

Your programme may well have been more interesting !!

B

binka

I've seen both.

The latter programme which Tee-Cee talks of was in Japan a couple of episodes ago and again they didn't catch the monsters there was reputed to be with upper 20's being about the limit.

Interesting all the same, I enjoy watching angling in other countries as it seems to vary so much from our own.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cyril is on the box tonight on freeview channel 42. I prefer watching Cyrils programme to the others on tv. The carp programme that was on last nigght doesn't really cut it for me but at least it's an angling programme.
I still prefer to watch the older angling programmes like J wilsons and Jack Hargreeves, the modern ones just seem to lack something in comparison and it's not a nostaljic thing.
I recently watched a couple of Graham Marsden videos on youtube that i've never seen before and I did enjoy them, they where similar to the Wilson and Hargreeves vid's.

steve2

Reaction score
Just seeing a programme called "Monster Carp" was enough to make me not watch it. Must admit I enjoyed Dean Macey and the Big Fish Off.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just watched it.
Agree it's good and entertaining stuff but turned a touch Robson in the last bit with the trout...
Obviously travelling light via chopper he left his landing net at home...
I'll certainly not be diving on any big skimmers down the canal if I forget mine...

robtherake

Reaction score
I really like the fella. His good manners are exemplary and serve to illustrate (by comparison) how dull other presenters can be and what a whiny twit Robson Green is. I find Cyril's enthusiasm infectious, whatever he's up to.:)