River Till grayling fishing on a day ticket.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Has anyone out there got any information on the river Till? I'd like to have a crack at the grayling with trotted worm (no maggots allowed on the Tweed and its tributaries). Unfortunately, information seems fairly thin on the ground with regards to exactly what and where. I have waded through pretty much all that google throws up without it being especially enlightening. I have seen Wooler and day tickets from the Post Office mentioned on the odd forum post, but I've seen nothing concrete.

greenie62

Reaction score
I can well understand your difficulties in finding info on the Till.:eek:
I used to fish there quite a bit 10+ years ago - each time the day tickets got more difficult to find - they moved from the Post Office in Wooler to a ciggy shop up the road one year, the next they were back at the Post Office (which had moved!) - then they moved to an Estate Agents :eek: - it was there I realised that an Estate Agent on the Borders wasn't the same as one down South - it's an agent for the local Laird's Estate! :eek:.
I would suggest you get in contact with the Tourist Info Centre in Wooler and see if you can get more uptodate info from them.

The day tickets for the stretch I used to fish were a reasonable price and covered the Wooler Water and Till around Doddington Bridge - where there was Car Parking.
Other anglers I met there were generally disappointed with the Grayling fishing through the year commenting it had 'gone downhill' and you'd be lucky to find any! I found a few - but it was mainly small brownies!

I've also fished the Ford & Etal waters at Ford Bridge and treated myself to a day on the Tiptoe Farm beat - and got caught in a cloudburst as soon as we'd paid - which saw the river come up in spate immediately :eek::eek:mg:

I quite enjoyed the fishing up there - as a break from tourism and castle-viewing - but wouldn't rank it as a must-fish destination.

If I remember any more - or find any useful contact details - I'll PM you!
:thumbs:

The Runner

Reaction score
Old mate of mine lives near Wooler and as well as the Till and Tweed has fishing access to some very private bits of the Glen and Bowmont (long story..), and reckons that apart from on the Tweed itself, grayling are very thin on the ground these days.

Lovely part of the country though