Deleting a post.

bracket

Reaction score
Not strictly the correct area of the forum for this question but sure to get the greatest airing. Can someone broaden my education please and tell me how to delete a post. I have been playing with adding links and posted a trial attempt which is nonsensical. I can't find a way to get rid of it. Pete.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Click the Edit option bottom right of your post. Then use the top right x on your keyboard to erase the the text.
Next either correct the post or click on full stop and type enough full stops to repost without being told your post is too short.

bracket

Reaction score
Click the Edit option bottom right of your post. Then use the top right x on your keyboard to erase the the text.
Next either correct the post or click on full stop and type enough full stops to repost without being told your post is too short.

Peter. Thanks for replying. I have done as you advised and edited the text, replacing with full stops. It has made it less ridicules, but the post is still there complete with full stops. What I was looking for was a complete removal of the post or can only a Mod do that? Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What I was looking for was a complete removal of the post or can only a Mod do that? Pete.

The option to delete a post is usually available in the software that this forum uses, at least in the versions I'm familiar with. It may be the case that newer versions have changed. However, I'd suggest that the facility has been disabled on FM. Mods or Admin should have the ability to fully delete a post. Who has what permissions depends on the way the software has been set up.

bracket

Reaction score
The option to delete a post is usually available in the software that this forum uses, at least in the versions I'm familiar with. It may be the case that newer versions have changed. However, I'd suggest that the facility has been disabled on FM. Mods or Admin should have the ability to fully delete a post. Who has what permissions depends on the way the software has been set up.

Sam. Thanks for the explanation. Not wishing to make an issue of this, but I would have expected the originator of a post to at least have the option of deleting his own posts, should he choose to. Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam. Thanks for the explanation. Not wishing to make an issue of this, but I would have expected the originator of a post to at least have the option of deleting his own posts, should he choose to. Pete.

It's a double edged sword unless admin/moderators are always on-line. You can get the scenario where someone can be as abusive as they like when they think that there's no admin/mods on-line. Be abusive all night long and delete all your post first thing in the morning. However, this reason is negated somewhat by us having permissions to edit our posts. Admins should be able to see deleted and pre-edit post if they dig down a bit. It's just a smidge more time consuming to do so.

Most forums that don't allow post deletions tend not to allow post editing either. There is/was facility to put time limits on editing. That should allow quick editing for obvious additions and omissions. Sometimes different sections can have different rules imposed. It can make a lot of sense to allow zero edits or deletions in sales sections.

bracket

Reaction score
It's a double edged sword unless admin/moderators are always on-line. You can get the scenario where someone can be as abusive as they like when they think that there's no admin/mods on-line. Be abusive all night long and delete all your post first thing in the morning. However, this reason is negated somewhat by us having permissions to edit our posts. Admins should be able to see deleted and pre-edit post if they dig down a bit. It's just a smidge more time consuming to do so.

Most forums that don't allow post deletions tend not to allow post editing either. There is/was facility to put time limits on editing. That should allow quick editing for obvious additions and omissions. Sometimes different sections can have different rules imposed. It can make a lot of sense to allow zero edits or deletions in sales sections.

Point taken Sam. Controlling abusive posts is far more important then me covering my mistakes. I can live with the restriction. Pete.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Pete, any moderator can delete posts, or threads.

If you have one of your own that you wish to have deleted then send a PM to one of the moderators and we can do it for you.

The moderators can also see, and if necessary manage deleted posts/threads as well.

It is just not possible to have a mod' on line 24/7 as we are all volunteers and have other responsibilities as well, but I am usually online several times a day and always look in and monitor new posts and threads.

bracket

Reaction score
Pete, any moderator can delete posts, or threads.

If you have one of your own that you wish to have deleted then send a PM to one of the moderators and we can do it for you.

The moderators can also see, and if necessary manage deleted posts/threads as well.

It is just not possible to have a mod' on line 24/7 as we are all volunteers and have other responsibilities as well, but I am usually online several times a day and always look in and monitor new posts and threads.

Peter. Thanks. Noted for future reference. Pete.