How much gear... Too much!

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am sure that the more gear I take, the less fun I have. This week I went fishing with a van load of gear and a plan to try several different things. The full story is HERE. I did have a good day in the end, but the most fun was had with the cheapest bit of kit!

This time I also had a two rod ticket. I caught nothing on the sleeper rod as I was not really paying it any attention and it just sat there for hours with no movement at all. Next time I intend to go light with just a float rod, maybe two, and a tube of wagglers. Keep bait down to a minimum, just maggots and a few slices of bread. It should be fun.

Do you end up taking far more than you need to the bank?

Ralph ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
If anything, I usually have too little gear to be truly flexible and react to changeable conditions. I generally go with certain methods, species and locations in mind. If things don't work out, I can sometimes be a bit stumped.

However, I often want to fish the float with specific rod and reel combinations. I frequently carry just the one rod and reel. Often that's a long rod and centrepin reel. if the fish don't oblige at a sensible range or seem to want a static bait, I can be stymied. The simple truth is that I'd rather do poorly on the float than better on the leger.

Ultimately, it doesn't generally worry me a great deal. I'm not traveling far and I'd often rather go home than fish a leger. The further I travel, the greater the amount of gear I'm likely to take. Similarly, the less familiar the water, the more gear I'm likely to take. Occasionally, I might even chuck a feeder rod in.