Some people are just idiots

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
A couple of days back , whilst out walking the dogs I heard a bird flapping in the hedge at the side of the track I was walking on

On investigating the noise it was a blackbird that had got fishing line round it's fertile and then caught up on a branch

Luckily I had my pocket knife and freed the bird

Fishing line can be fatal for small creatures
Empty tins draw wild life that can cut them
Why are some people so thoughtless

thecrow

Reaction score
I am afraid its indicative of a large section of modern society some of whom are anglers, they are probably the same kind of people the throw McDonalds bags out of cars.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Saw the thread and thought you were talking about people who fished Yorkshire reservoirs with no bl**dy fish in them!

Seriously Paul, found a barbed size 4 hook in a peg on a local pool where there Carp barely go double figures:confused: why?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Yes I've seen anglers fishing 2 carp rods on a pod buzzers and drop back indicators on a water that holds the odd carp that go to double figures
Ok maybe theses are the only rods they have but they fish them with size 6 hooks and complicated rigs when I've caught the carp on a size 12 hook on the float on a decent float rod

lepirate

Reaction score
I am afraid its indicative of a large section of modern society some of whom are anglers, they are probably the same kind of people the throw McDonalds bags out of cars.
Hardly a modern thing. I remember the 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign of many years ago trying to get the British to care a little about the country they lived in. Look at paintings and sketches of general life in Victorian times or earlier, writings of many ages reflect just how filthy people could be. Sadly..
Dave.

thecrow

Reaction score
Hardly a modern thing. I remember the 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign of many years ago trying to get the British to care a little about the country they lived in. Look at paintings and sketches of general life in Victorian times or earlier, writings of many ages reflect just how filthy people could be. Sadly..
Dave.

I would have thought that as littering has become less socially acceptable that the situation would have improved, unfortunately there are some in society that will never change whether that is now or in the future, they must live in $h!t.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The more people live a lot of their lives in the "virtual" world, the less notice they take of the real one, and how messed-up it is.

mikench

Reaction score
Agreed. Thankfully not all the idiots are fishermen! I am appalled by the general levels of litter and fly tipping in this country. So far all the club members I have met have been well behaved and friendly!

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Apparently this years Glastonbury attendees left behind the following
500,000 sacks of rubbish.
57 tonnes of reusable items.
1022 tonnes of recycling.
Whilst I doubt the accuracy of these figures I don't doubt we've a problem.
And I've seen it at fisheries. Leave it behind for someone else to worry about.

robtherake

Reaction score
Apparently this years Glastonbury attendees left behind the following
500,000 sacks of rubbish.
57 tonnes of reusable items.
1022 tonnes of recycling.
Whilst I doubt the accuracy of these figures I don't doubt we've a problem.
And I've seen it at fisheries. Leave it behind for someone else to worry about.

The throwaway society. People buy cheap gear just for Glasto and leave the lot behind; tents included.

mikench

Reaction score
I know people, friends, who should know better, who go to Glastonbury and , like Rob says leave everything behind. This includes their tent, all their clothes and any unused food or drink. They walk back to their car wearing just undies and wellies and there they have a clean set to go home in.

And they cannot understand why i do not want to go! Squalor and more squalor in the company of idiots and lousy music played 24 hours a day!:wh

This is my idea of hell!;)

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I worked as a school cleaner for 8 years after retiring from my previous job when you should see what the kids do in school nothing surprises me with rubbish.
They would even sit on the toilets and eat their dinner anything not eaten was thrown on to the floor. It was not seen as their job to flush toilets after using them that’s if they used them; the toilet floor was always seen as a better option. Anything dropped was never picked up half drunk cans of drink just left so that they would be spilt over the floor. The dinning area after lunch was like a tip.
The girls were far worse then the boys, it was almost as if the girls had something to prove.
This was at a school that was ranked outstanding by Ofsted. It didn’t seem to care to most of the staff, as long as the Exam Factory got the results it didn’t matter what the kids did.

dann

Reaction score
It is true, there are idiots in all walks of life.

I live in a small village and about once a week I take a tesco bag with me when walking the dog and pick up any bits of litter I can see. In my opinion, it is a beautiful rural area and I just cant see why anybody would litter in the first place, I also cant understand why somebody walking along would step over litter and not just pick it up and put it in the next bin.

Perhaps I am odd :confused:

Edit to add - I see Glastonbury was mentioned above, have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnSyFgItCdY

mikench

Reaction score
You are not odd Dann! I do the same and pick up litter everyday. As I tell everybody who will listen if the entire population of 60 million picked up one piece of litter every day ( and stopped dropping it)the country would be clean in a few weeks!

If our public waste bins were emptied more often it would help. Dropping litter should be made a criminal offence punishable by enforced street cleaning for a day!;)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
A sign with TW*T written on it, as far as I'm concerned....

I like a laugh and a joke as much as the next fella but littering is like drink driving, there's just no excuse, end of. :mad:

rayner

Reaction score
It is true, there are idiots in all walks of life.

I live in a small village and about once a week I take a tesco bag with me when walking the dog and pick up any bits of litter I can see. In my opinion, it is a beautiful rural area and I just cant see why anybody would litter in the first place, I also cant understand why somebody walking along would step over litter and not just pick it up and put it in the next bin.

Perhaps I am odd :confused:

Edit to add - I see Glastonbury was mentioned above, have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnSyFgItCdY

I don't do street cleaning but every time I fish my first job is to pick anything up from my peg.

ken more

Reaction score
And here's me thinking that it was only "Pikey's" that did this sort of thing:confused::rolleyes: