The drive to succeed

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For some of us it begins at an early age from a fishing perspective, with the capture of a fish that is far bigger than the norm. It could equally be the result of an outstanding net of fish. Whilst for others it may be a case of just to catch at all, and have a pleasant day by the waterside, it's really difficult to define.

In my own particular case, over the years I've fished for most species, but always with an eye towards the larger specimens. Each given attention at what we considered the appropriate time of year,ie- Carp, Barbel,Chub, Roach and Tench during the Summer periods. Pike, Perch and beach casting for Cod through the Autumn and Winter period. But as said, always with an eye towards the larger specimens.

Notoriety has never been a part of my fishing, it's simply too personal for me, other than sharing my successes with a few close friends,(sadly now disappearing at an alarming rate). I am still as passionate as ever, although the spirits willing, the chassis is falling to bits.

But what about you, what's your stance?

mikench

Reaction score
Like all hobbies I fish to relax. It gives me an interest that extends beyond the act of casting a line and landing a fish. The study of the sport, the tackle and kit available to buy, the fun of trying different techniques( not always successfully), acquiring a new skill, knowledge, buying your chosen rods and reels and all the other paraphernalia , discovering lakes and other waters you did not know existed, making new friends( on here and waterside), playing with your tackle( piscatorially speaking only!!), practicing knot tying, rig making and just being organised are all enjoyable and therapeutic. These aspects are of equal importance to me. I still have the background knowledge to all my various hobbies which I can and do pass on to others.

The pleasure of being outdoors, of being in lovely countryside and at one with nature are all aspects of fishing which are worth pursuing and striving for! I like just messing about with tackle that is well made, clever and which is well engineered. I admire my rods, reels and floats.

Simple things give me pleasure and help to achieve success such as Some of the feeders, hooks and terminal tackle we use all the time.

Whether I ever catch a specimen fish is unknown but to strive to do so and to really enjoy the process is well worthwhile even if ultimately unsuccessful :)

In short I strive to better myself, to exercise my body and my brain and in doing so while pursuing this great hobby, I succeed! Good luck and health and happiness to you and to all other members.

Just off to visit my parents, 89 and 88 still living independently and still interested on life. My father was a great advocate of hobbies and the only one he did not pursue was fishing. He still enjoys it vicariously through me!

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Very much like yourself Derek I have always leaned towards trying to catch larger specimens of different species, why my angling went that way I have no idea its just something that I seemed to drift into or maybe it was because I just followed those anglers that I associated with during my younger angling years.

For me it was never a competition of who could catch the biggest it was always how could I catch what was a big fish for me, depending on the species it may have been a weight that might not have been that big to others at the time but big compared to what I had caught previously. Now I am just happy to find somewhere quiet or fish with a friend and catch whatever comes along.

The drive to succeed has waned considerably as I have got older and the thought of some of the things I did when I was younger now seem mad but I wanted those big fish and if that meant having to sacrifice comfort and what little money I had so be it, all I can say is that I would do it all again in a heartbeat but might think twice about all those trips to the fens riding a motorcycle there in the middle of winter.

bracket

Reaction score
I have a passion for mastering a method and I am not too concerned about the size or weight of a catch. Once I have the hang of it I will practice at regular intervals to keep my hand in. Often I will set out to fish a certain method regardless of the venue or conditions just to make it work. Whilst I like to do well the magnitude of the result is unimportant to me, it all about making it work that's the satisfaction. I have done the bagging up thing many times in an earlier life. Pete.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
For me its all about experimentation, like a new float you have just made that will catch everything on the match on sunday :eek:.
Or some new hooks you have just found that you never loose a fish on.
I suppose I an trying to master a technique which pays dividends in the end .
Continually polishing a technique hopefully moving on to bigger and better things.
Match fishing supplies the seed to become better at what you do.
I suppose without the match fishing drive I would not fish half as much as I do
I am always looking to improve.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Drive to succeed, I suppose that is a good term that sums my fishing up.
Not to catch a fish of any size but any fish in general, most of my time at home is preparing to fish on following days.
I spend far too much time tying hooks and rigs mostly because I am so slow to get them as perfect as I am able to. Without putting time in at home I would never be able to fish how I like.
Of course hooks can be bought ready tied, I have always tied my own so still do.
If I do have a drive to succeed then it is in the time I'm prepared to put in at home not on the bank.
It is easy when the only thing I do is prepare to fish.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Apart from in the late 60’s and early 70’s I have never been driven by need to catch a big fish, I have caught them but never chased after them since. My fishing is now based around enjoyment and not a numbers game. If I succeed in catching what I am after on the day, good, if not there is always tomorrow.
I have seen friends give up because of the pressure they have put on themselves in the search of big fish when everything less is a failure to them.

peterjg

Reaction score
Fishing for me has passed the obsession stage - it is a way of life - my wife understands this and is very patient. I'm retired now and usually go three full days a week, I now do very little night fishing. Still learning, still sometimes blanking, still thoroughly enjoying it. Still so much to learn.

john step

Reaction score
I shudder to remember how success was measured in the total weight in the keepnet regardless of how many small fish made up the total weight.
These were the "practise" trips to sus out a venue prior to a club match.

It never seemed to leave enough time to have a day out just fishing.

Now I enjoy fishing more with the emphasis on trying to hook something that puts a goodly bend in whatever rod I use.

B

binka

I think that my drive to succeed has always lagged behind my drive to enjoy.

I've always enjoyed my fishing anyway and a bit of an excursion into the big fish world saw me heading back to my comfort zone quite quickly, happy to catch whatever and taking the better ones that come along as a bonus.

I'm currently, and have been for some time, hung up on this big perch thing and had a session today when I knew full well it was never really on the cards and there were other things more viable and almost certainly more enjoyable.

Reality check.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can only echo Binka's thoughts. I occasionally get bees in my bonnet for certain species. However, if they go too far they invariably become a chore in the end. I'm much happier just fishing for whatever comes along. I'd prefer what came along to be bigger than average or to catch more than average, but I'm not especially driven in those regards either.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

I never published my catches until I was asked by the old Editor of FM to the RMC catches to enhance the profile of the water when it was boarder line if they would keep the venue through lack of members ?

I had no problem with this and put in some recent captures from the river and lakes on the venue.

The results were surprising, I guy said I was showing off and I should leave a particular club which I belonged too, although I had never publised any of my captures from that clubs waters.

I belonged to a syndicate for over 40 years and never published any captures, I would not break club or syndicate rules.

It seems to me that others have a problem with publishing capture, many of who have never caught a decent fish in a lifetime.

It smacks of jealousy, but I could be wrong, some people just by the comic's to crisis others success !!

Bob

mikench

Reaction score
Bob, to hell with the narrow minded, politically correct naysayers! Be true to yourself and if you catch a specimen fish why shouldn't you publicise the fact ,particularly if asked to do so. The trouble with all clubs and associations are the proliferation of rules and regulations, many petty and self evident. However we live our lives in accordance with the lowest common denominator principle.

I was fishing on Thursday at a club water and saw at my feet semi submerged an tin of bacon grill. I retrieved it and found it was half full. Fish had been trying to get at the contents and as anyone with some cerebral matter knows, tins are sharp and dangerous. Who would throw a tin in the water half full!!!:(

It defies belief . No wonder clubs lose waters! Carry on and enjoy!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Bob,

I have no issue with anyone else publishing their catches/results, that's their right and their choice.

On only three occasions in 60 years of fishing have I ever published articles/photo's, and the results that followed (The Circus), were to be frank disgusting and culminated in the ruination of three quality big fish waters. There are no ifs or butts here ''I have the evidence''.

It may be different on a syndicate or private water where restrictions are in place, but the waters I refer to were public and open to all for the price of a day ticket. I had been quietly catching some very big fish from those waters for a number of years, so in reality it was my own fault. But it was a fault I resolved never to repeat.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Rum, innit? I'd bet that if you published an account of a really good day's gudgeon fishing in a public water, you either meet no extra users, or a few amiable sorts.

Something not quite pleasant happens in people's heads when personal bests and records rear their ambiguous little heads. As yardsticks to measure your good fortune and piscatorial development, they're useful. As a measure of your worth as a human, they're destructive, or can be if not handled with skepticism, care and leather gauntlets.

steve2

Reaction score
I only ever published two pictures of what I have caught and both drew remarks that I was not telling the truth about the weight or where I caught them. So I never have since or ever will again publish pictures of big fish.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Bob,

I have no issue with anyone else publishing their catches/results, that's their right and their choice.

On only three occasions in 60 years of fishing have I ever published articles/photo's, and the results that followed (The Circus), were to be frank disgusting and culminated in the ruination of three quality big fish waters. There are no ifs or butts here ''I have the evidence''.

It may be different on a syndicate or private water where restrictions are in place, but the waters I refer to were public and open to all for the price of a day ticket. I had been quietly catching some very big fish from those waters for a number of years, so in reality it was my own fault. But it was a fault I resolved never to repeat.

Derek

Fishers Green is open to anyone for the price of a ticket, once club waters, later RMC and Leisuresport, now the consortium, it's never been that easy a venue, it's certainly not now !!

The circus have always fished the place, many fail or live off the back of other efforts, some off us have fished the place for 60years and have always caught specimen fish.

They can turn up and fish, it's no guarantee of success, it takes years of river craft, knowledge and dedication to catch constantly year after year and how many times have I been told I was a lucky angler ?

So publishing a water of this type does little harm, other than to those who have little skill and fail miserably every year, yes there can be a bit of NIMBY reaction.

But to be honest if your good enough you will always catch and the Pot Chaser soon fall by the wayside.

Bob

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I'm sure you are right about the jealousy aspect Bob, just as you are about the perceived view of specimen hunters by some anglers. It's as though it's a dirty word, and one that smacks of elitism, when in truth it's just one of many aspects of angling.

It would seem that success brings scrutiny, and the inevitable envy along with the usual witch hunt by some. And that never seems to change.

terry m

Reaction score
Drive to succeed?

Yes, I think so, whilst not exclusively, I think peoples drive in general is a part of their characteristic and general make up. People that push for success hard in one field usually do so in other fields too.

I almost never go fishing 'for what comes along', I have to have a plan, sometimes it works sometimes it does not. When it does not I work on my approach or prep and hopefully the next time will be more fruitful. In short, for me at least there has to be a purpose and a goal, however meagre or stretch that goal is.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Apologies for sounding so "Of course, we 'ad it toof!" but seriously...if the younger carpers (especially) could see how we fished a thousand nights from June 16th right through to October they'd have a fit. As teenagers we sat on armless, upright stools, watching our bobbins like hawks and NEVER sleeping: sleeping was taboo. A one-pint flask and a couple of sarnies sustained us through 12 hr nights and come the morning we had a 2 mile walk home - THEN we slept right through to 6pm, ready for another night!