Chub and baits. Traditional or carp-esque?

siychrist77

Reaction score
On the subject of chub, I recently read this article about modified carp tactics, the temptation of the 'dark side' in other words. http://www.ccmoore.com/pdfs/articles/Stewart Moss - Big Chub, Delayed Shock & The Trebuchet.pdf

Now in the 12 months of my second coming to fishing, using tactics similar to when I used them last over 20 years ago, I've had my fair share of chevs (and the odd bonus bream and roach) exclusively on link legered bread, cheese paste, worms or meat direct to the hook, feeding morsels as and when and moving swims if things go quiet.

But speaking a lot recently to anglers on the Stour and Avon, the concencus by some margin is pellets for feed (loose-fed or via mesh bags) to trigger feeding instincts and keep fish on the scene, and a high protein/amino acid boilie as hookbait. The mere mention of that fact Im using my trad baits can sometimes even garner a s****** of derision.

I suppose I'm just asking, is it inevitable that with the year-round avalanche of pellets and boilies going into the rivers these days, will we get to a point where natural/traditional/seasonal baits become almost redundant? I hope not.

Also, will said pellet/boilie bombardment see a change to river fish's growth rate?

For what its worth, I'd like to avoid such baits for as long as possible. Bread, worms, pastes and meats are my intended baits, perhaps my only contemporary concession being the addition of attractor-laden additives. Betaine, worm extract or milk proteins for example.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

...I wrote s.n.i.g.g.e.r...
...As in chuckle...
...no casual racism intended ;-)

benny samways

Reaction score
Traditional baits will never become dated or non-effective. Fish don’t follow our bait trends!

I use a mixture of the 2. Bread, meat and HNV-pastes are my go to chub baits.

If we used modern terminology for traditional baits then lots of them would be HNVs anyway! Bread is HNV and has lots of soluble 'free' amino acids in it, not only that, but the free amino acids are ones that fish can actually detect. Meat would be a high protein bait. Sweetcorn is HNV etc etc