Parakeets........Grrrrrrrrr !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Part of the pleasure of fishing for me is the places it takes me to and the wildlife/birdlife I get to see which I otherwise probably wouldn't. A good days fishing and an unusual or uncommon bird just adds to the pleasure of the day for me. I'm no twitcher but I do know me birds....by sight & sound.

But these bloody parakeets are driving me NUTS ! They never bloody stop and they are absolutely everywhere down here now. Soundtrack to my gentle evening on the Wey yesterday was about 30 of these damned things rucking with about a dozen magpies !

Shut the phuck up will you ! Naff off back to bloody Brazil or wherever and give me a bit of peace !

What's disturbing you bankside ? Apart from idiots with alarms and phones.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes S-Kippy
Really annoying things along South East those green chickens..

I guess the thing that disturbs me when I'm enjoying my fishing. Is catching an eel.

Bitten fingers, slime wrapped and tangled hook link.
Smelly net and worse of all...

Mates laughing at the misfortune.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Just a blokey who insisted on showing off his "eight pounds at least" carp to everyone (lucky if it went four), doing a running product placement documentary at the same time and with alarms set to wake the dead and both rods fishing the same square foot of mud twelve feet away. All the posturing seemed to be directed at his gloom-ridden friend, who declared he was giving up fishing and going back to playing golf. Frankly, I ain't surprised: probably the only way to get a bit of peace away from gob-all with his deeply irritating k-yuk, k-yuk laugh.

There were only four or five pegs left to the top end of the fishery or I'd have moved out of earshot. Luckily, they all left shortly after to drown their sorrows in a beer-related manner.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
We come from Asia skip....

Squawk squawk...

Well buqqer off back there then !

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Yes S-Kippy
Really annoying things along South East those green chickens..

I guess the thing that disturbs me when I'm enjoying my fishing. Is catching an eel.

Bitten fingers, slime wrapped and tangled hook link.
Smelly net and worse of all...

Mates laughing at the misfortune.

I didn't handle it, Graham. I waited until it had chewed through Clarkies hooklink then gave him his rod back.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I rather enjoyed the novelty of seeing the parakeets a year or two ago at Wraysbury. They were an awful lot less intrusive that the incessant aircraft noise.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I seem to remember a fish in at Blenheim palace lake a few years ago.
As I drove into the gates at silly o'clock on that dark and gloomy morning I found a dozen or so cars and a bunch of anglers surrounding a tallish fellow, dressed pirate fashion. Fag in gob with a parakeet on his shoulder....
Damned if I can recall his name now?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For me it the bloke who stops for a quick chat and is still talking to you an hour later

I don't mind a quick 5 minute "how's it going mate"

But the full life story of some blokes fishing gets right on my wire

mightyboosh

Reaction score
We get them here, the Aussie version. Kiwis hate non-indigenous animals, even more so ones that come from Australia. I've been asked to shoot them by various people. I've declined. I think they look pretty :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I seem to remember a fish in at Blenheim palace lake a few years ago.
As I drove into the gates at silly o'clock on that dark and gloomy morning I found a dozen or so cars and a bunch of anglers surrounding a tallish fellow, dressed pirate fashion. Fag in gob with a parakeet on his shoulder....
Damned if I can recall his name now?

Very odd bloke that..I know him reasonably well. I might add that said parrot was squawkless

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a friend who work for a law firm in West surrey and he says the Parakeets are a right nuisance as they use his firms car park (and his car) as a kharsi . . . .

He says it is so bad on some days that he parks a mile away and now walks to his office

Another case of non-native species here in the UK.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
They are every where now.

Hampstead Common has a real problem with them, they have taken over the place, and are nesting in just about every tree.

They are the Crayfish of the sky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of many pleasures getting away from a lifetime in London was the sound of those bloody parrots, they seemed to have followed me down to the South Coast and have now taken over Margate.

robtherake

Reaction score
It takes me back to the day I was stalking a red-coloured parrot (a macaw) in Kilton woods. At first, I thought it was a jay, but it was much louder and the cry made the hairs on your arms stand up. When I finally got a look at it through the scope I was transfixed, but had no intention of shooting it so I'd broken the barrel to make it obvious. By this time I'd tracked it almost out of the wood and back on to a public path, still amazed at the sight of this huge, lavishly decorated bird (which had escaped from a local sanctuary) but was brought back down to Earth by a little lad pulling at my trousers and saying, "You won't shoot it will you, mister?"

I wish you could bottle moments like that!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It takes me back to the day I was stalking a red-coloured parrot (a macaw) in Kilton woods. At first, I thought it was a jay, but it was much louder and the cry made the hairs on your arms stand up. When I finally got a look at it through the scope I was transfixed, but had no intention of shooting it so I'd broken the barrel to make it obvious. By this time I'd tracked it almost out of the wood and back on to a public path, still amazed at the sight of this huge, lavishly decorated bird (which had escaped from a local sanctuary) but was brought back down to Earth by a little lad pulling at my trousers and saying, "You won't shoot it will you, mister?"

I wish you could bottle moments like that!:)

I've bred macaws for many years, i've just ppulled a clutch of three blue and gold chicks for hand rearing. I'm sat looking at them in the brooder while I post this.