The Best Angler Ever?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I think it safe to say that most FM viewers don't 'go back' to 2003 when my predecessor posted the following article. I think it worth a re-airing...

"It began as one debate and, as these things do on the forum, ended up a little differently: Who's The Best? - Forum. In the opinion of many, perhaps most, freshwater anglers, the best angler that ever lived was Richard Walker. Why? Well, let Walker himself answer; here's an extract from a letter from the man himself, sent to us by Murray Rogers.
Out of touch? Not me says **** Walker"

A few weeks ago, a letter from a reader was published in Angling Times which accused me of being out of touch with the average angler and of advocating archaic methods of fishing.
What this had to do with the subject under discussion, which was whether anglers should support other field-sports, I didn't understand. But if these comments were meant to provoke a rise from me, like a well-chosen trout fly, they have succeeded.
I've been fishing for a very long time, during which I've never met either an average angler or an expert. The longer I fish, the more I realize how much remains to be learned. But, far from being out of touch with anglers generally, I doubt if anyone else answers more letters, ranging from ten year old schoolboys to university professors, barristers and other professional men, than I do.
I have long since abandoned false modesty, and there's an old saying that if you don't blow your own trumpet, nobody else will blow it for you. So this week, I'm going to blow mine, by asking some questions. Here they come!
1) Who wrote the first book about Still-water fishing, with special reference to the problems of catching specimen fish?
2) Who designed and built the first satisfactory carp rod and has been designing carp rods, in cane at first, then fibre-glass, and now carbon fibre, with calculated tapers, ever since?
3) Who designed and made the first net big enough to hold a 50Ib fish, yet light enough to be used with one hand?
4) Who invented the electric bite alarm?
5) Who invented the Arlesey bomb, now to be found in nearly every coarse fish anglers box?
6) Who devised the combination of paste and crust that produced a slow sinking bait that would come to rest on silkweed or soft mud?
7) Who invented vanes, like dart flights, for float tops, visible at long range and able to make use of the wind to take a bait to the right place? These vanes are now used by many Pike fishers.
8) Who invented a type of rod rest that ensured that the line would not be trapped between the rod and the rest?
9) Who pointed out, again and again, that fixed spool reels needed rotating pick-up rollers, at a time when not one production reel was so fitted?
10) Who campaigned for knotless keepnets, year after year, until Mr C.J. Field pioneered their commercial introduction, with the result that they are not only in universal use, but in most areas compulsory?
11) Who invented the single and double Grinner knots, superior to any other kind of knot for joining nylon line?
12) Who was the first to detect the 'vibration' bite from barbel, as different from the simple rod-bending pull, and explain how to detect it?
13) Who, after hearing that a former colleague, Mr Leslie Phillips, at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, had invented carbon fibre, went racing down there with Jim Hardy, of Hardy Brothers, to see how this new material might be used in fishing rods?
14) Who was the first angler in the world to catch Trout on a carbon fibre rod?
15) Who, after experimenting with a wide variety of different ways of joining hooks in tandem trout lures, finally discovered the best and easiest, namely a treble plait of 12Ib nylon monofil?
16) Who made a thorough investigation of the cause of loss of strength in nylon monofil, and discovered that it is due to either the effect of ultra-violet light, bright sunshine, to wet oxidation, or both, refuting makers claims that monofil was rot proof?
17) Who discovered that the cracking of PVC coatings of modern fly lines was due to the loss of plasticizer, brought about by a variety of factors including heat, the use of ordinary greases, or simply time in storage? Who devised a special grease to restore lost plasticizer?
18) Who with the aid of expert chemist Arnold Neave, devised a dip-in liquid that would thoroughly impregnate and waterproof dry trout flies, consisting of Silicon and suitable wax in solvent, and which didn't alter the colours of the flies?
19) Who, year after year, kept insisting that legering was a valuable method for the matchman, at a time when float-fishing was considered the only method worth using, and predicted that the day would come when the National Championship would be won with leger - and proved right?
20) Who first advocated the streamlined float with a central tube to allow its use as a slider, instead of the then universal cork bung with slit and peg? And illustrated it in a book published thirty years ago?
21) Who in the same book, described the running paternoster, now more commonly called the link leger - and illustrated it?
22) Who first described and advocated, for some conditions, the method now known as freelining?
23) Who first explained how modern glass or carbon fibre rods could be broken by violent efforts to make such rods flex against their own slight weight, without sufficient load, in the form of either lead or fly line on their tips?
24) Who explained that if you halve the thickness of a line, it becomes sixteen times more flexible, and vice-versa?
25) Who popularised the use of betalights in floats and other bite-indicators? Fair enough, I know Peter Wheat was the first in the field, but his efforts failed because the betalights used were too feeble by far. It was left to someone else to point out that a cheap betalight float that can't be seen beyond 5 to 7 yards was a poor buy; better to spend a few pounds more for one that you can see at thirty yards or more?
26) Who explained to the tackle trade that centrifugal governors on multiplier reels were the wrong way round; that instead of adding extra braking as the spool speeded up, they should add it as the spool slowed down?

I leave readers to answer these questions and to decide how many of them have the same answer!
As for archaic methods, well, fish don't change in less than millions of years. If I fail to advocate the use, for example, of a range of fifty different carp baits involving organic chemicals and proteins, it is because I know that carp will eat almost anything unless experience has taught them that certain baits are dangerous.

Richard Walker, 26 January 1983

thecrow

Reaction score
I think its impossible to say that there has ever been a "best ever" angler, no doubt that Walker was an innovative angler who invented some tackle to suit his way of fishing but best ever, afraid that imo that title cannot be applied to anyone past or present.

flightliner

Reaction score
I kind of go along with crows train of thought, a tiny differance being that without doubt Walker was innovative which made him very well known amongst anglers of his generation , and yes, he left his mark without doubt That said however it's the "best ever" tag . Many others before have done more than their share to inspire anglers in the past and in the main been forgotton. An aside to this John Steps thread about anglers not knowing what an arlesey bomb is or who developed it more than shows how quickly things (and people) are quickly forgotton.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The list by Walker first appeared in Angling Times and also in a book of his articles but I suspect a fair few of his claims could be disputed. Walker acknowledged that there were more skilful anglers than himself but like a few others, his writing, whether you agreed or disagreed with it, could make you think about what he was saying.

terry m

Reaction score
Being innovative, does not necessarily make you the 'best' angler. It just makes you a good, err, innovator!!

Clearly Walker knew his onions, but best angler? I am not convinced.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Most of the user of this site never met Richard Walker, let alone fish with the man.

He was a highly educated man, a great engineer, a wonderful thinker, innovative fishing tackle designer, brilliant writer, wonderful columnist and superb angler.

He could turn his hand to any form of angling and in my book he might well have been the Best Angler Ever ?

Over the years I have been fortunate to fish with some great anglers, not only specimen, but match and sea fishermen.

None of them had the all round gifts of Richard Walker.

Bob

robtherake

Reaction score
His books are still relevant, despite being a few decades "out of date." "Catching Fish..." is a fascinating little volume.

Keith M

Reaction score
I still look through some of his books and articles on a cold winters night next to the fire and they are almost all still relevant even today.

I don't remember the details but I'm sure I read it somewhere; but; didn't he take part in a fishing magazine challenge against one of the best match anglers of his day and won the challenge twice?

Anyway he was definately a great thinking angler who contributed a lot to our sport.

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
One thing I did like about Walker was that he was not stuck in the past when it came to tackle. He realised that carbon rods were the way forward and cane was old hat. Bite alarms were better than bits of silver foil. If he were still around now he like many of the other greats from the past would be using the most up to date tackle.
I still read Walkers books along with Taylor and Stone mainly because they are the angling writers I grew up with. Fishing and fish as the described it hasn’t changed just the tackle.
I am not surprised that people new to angling don’t know the anglers of the past, why should they. I don’t know any of today so called experts.

The Best Ever in any sport have never existed they were just best in their era. Then along comes someone else.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Walker came up with some good idea's for fishing, as have others over the years.

Best Angler every ??

I don't think there is one, Best Specimen Angler IMO was Terry Lampard, but then there are anglers out there that don't publish catches, and could well be better than those we read about.

bracket

Reaction score
I still look through some of his books and articles on a cold winters night next to the fire and they are almost all still relevant even today.

I don't remember the details but I'm sure I read it somewhere; but; didn't he take part in a fishing magazine challenge against one of the best match anglers of his day and won the challenge twice?

Anyway he was definately a great thinking angler who contributed a lot to our sport.

Keith

**** Walker fished a three match series against Tom Sails on the Witham, River Bain and the Royalty Fishery on the Avon. Walker won it two matches to
one. Here is a link to some coverage of the matches http://http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/viewtopic.php?t=2498, Pete.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Irrespective of ‘who was the best angler’ one of the things many people fail to appreciate is, that with all his article/book writing, innovations, inventions, taxidermy work, etc. , Walker held down a full time job with his family’s lawn mower business. He didn’t spend every hour fishing - just making time at the weekends, the odd evening and holidays.

Much like most other working anglers..................

robertroach

Reaction score
He may have his virtues. However I don't really warm to people who find it necessary to blow their own trumpet like this. It's a big turnoff for me.

terry m

Reaction score
Best Specimen Angler IMO was Terry Lampard,.

Exactly my thoughts

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 ----------

He may have his virtues. However I don't really warm to people who find it necessary to blow their own trumpet like this. It's a big turnoff for me.

Agree with this too.

Keith M

Reaction score

Robert he wasn't just blowing his own trumpet for the sake of it like a lot of people do, he was just defending himself against an accusation aimed at him from someone (see extract below) there will always be people who love to criticise others for no valid reason and I see nothing wrong with him trying to put the record straight for once (although personally I probably wouldn't have bothered Lol)

Walker wrote:

A few weeks ago, a letter from a reader was published in Angling Times which accused me of being out of touch with the average angler and of advocating archaic methods of fishing.
What this had to do with the subject under discussion, which was whether anglers should support other field-sports, I didn't understand. But if these comments were meant to provoke a rise from me, like a well-chosen trout fly, they have succeeded.

I don't think that he was the kind of guy who would normally rise to this sort of thing in print.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Walker was right to write what he did. You are always going to get someone who thinks that when anglers get to an age, that they are past it.

Sometimes that may be true, but more often than not, the old un's still have the know how, and more important the experience to work things out.

That can't be said of many young anglers.