Fly rod recommendations

greener

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for a budget rod, around €100.00 mark.
I need it to fish small medium lakes from the bank, not a stocked lake so I don't think I will encounter any large fish.

I am going into my local stores on Tuesday, they do Greys and Shakespeare, so at least I will be able to feel the rods and judge whether they are physically suited to how I cast, I have a bad elbow so I could end up with either a 9' of 9'6" rod depending on how stiff they feel.

I want to stay with a #6 to cast in wind, either way can anyone comment on what they think of the Agility rods in this wt, are they accurately rated or could I go down a rod wt and still cast a 6 on them and get good distance.
One shop also has a 9' #6 OdesseyXT, would this be as good as the newer Agility rods, I like that it is a 3 Piece as I believe less joints is a good thing, and it will still fit in my car boot, The image shown for this rod shows a full wells handle, is this correct, this rod is in the furthest shop away form me and they have no other rods in my price range so if anyone can comment on it I may be saved a journey.

Thanks to all, john

mikench

Reaction score
I assume you want to buy in euros which limits your range somewhat. You will also need a fly reel! I have never fly fished but like Orvis gear (v
Clothes etc) . They sell a rod and reel for about £140 which is probably a reasonable price.

greener

Reaction score
Hi mikench, thanks for commenting, I do not flyfish myself, the reason I at least think I want to start is I have left the river and lake many times with fish jumping mad after flies, and other than pinging some out with or without a bubble attached to my spinning gear, I have lost out on these fish.
I do not know if fly fishing is something I will get good enough at to keep it up, so I do not want to spend too much on a rod, I have an excellent Danielsson Real, and three floating lines of various weights I bought some years back, when I first was bitten by the fly bug, I got a lidl or aldi rod outfit and found casting it easy enough in open spaces at the lake, the lake is surrounded with hidden rocks and small stones even when there is grass cover a bunch of rocks is always lurking just below, so I damaged the line, bought a very expensive hardy one that was no good at all, it creaked as it went through the guides, I cleaned it with a line cleaner, and the creaking stopped, but it still would only cast half as far as the original that came with the rod, which I believe was a half wt heavier, and oddly it looked real skinny in comparison to the one I got to replace it, It will do for the river and I will now get a slightly heavier outfit for the lake. I think the line was called mach 2 floating trout line, if anyone uses one perhaps they could indicate why it casts a whole lot worse than an aldi one.
And yes I have eoros, and am trying to buy local so no orvis readily available to try even at a dearer price.

Thanks to all, john

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
you could use your own spinning rod and fixed spool reel using a light line but with a fly on the end. You will not be able to flick it out but you could allow it to trot or be taken by the flow/breeze.

Just buy a wet and a dry fly and give it a try. Nothing to lose!:)

greener

Reaction score
Hi mikench

I have done what you suggest in the past and it has saved the day many a time, but when the fish are boiling up and are just too far out I have had to go home in defeat, last time it happened I ended up with two fish that took a rapala, and a lot of prayer.

Regards john