Was it really Jack Hilton?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Who was instrumental in the increase of Carp rod length from ten foot to eleven foot?

I recall that during the early sixties most of the Carp and Pike anglers I fished alongside , including a few famous names utilised ten foot rods. Then it seemed to change, and rods in the eleven foot range began to appear from various makers. Till by the late sixties eleven foot rods became the norm.

This was a point of issue that was raised over the weekend between myself and a couple of old time Carp anglers.

Opinions would be appreciated.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm not sure Derek, possibly you could email his son Kieth at Hilton Angling in Ware. I do remember I was somewhat gobsmacked when/why Jack suddenly quit angling in the 70's...................

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I'm not sure Derek, possibly you could email his son Kieth at Hilton Angling in Ware. I do remember I was somewhat gobsmacked when/why Jack suddenly quit angling in the 70's...................

Thank's for the heads up Jerry, all I can say is that I did have a pair of Hilton's some time in the ''mid sixties''. They were built on honey brown fibre glass by Alan Brown. It's a bit sketchy now but I'm sure they were eleven footers. And yes it was a shock when Jack quit fishing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thank's for the heads up Jerry, all I can say is that I did have a pair of Hilton's some time in the ''mid sixties''. They were built on honey brown fibre glass by Alan Brown. It's a bit sketchy now but I'm sure they were eleven footers. And yes it was a shock when Jack quit fishing.

Derek, I've 'phoned a friend' and it was indeed a joint venture between Jack Hilton and Alan Brown. It was in fact 10' 10 in length.............

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
There is a bit in "Quest for Carp" - it was originally going to be 12ft but after some trial and error / cutting back, it ended at 11ft (10ft 10 blank and some dural in the handle). Approx 2lb test curve.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Derek, I've 'phoned a friend' and it was indeed a joint venture between Jack Hilton and Alan Brown. It was in fact 10' 10 in length.............

I had a pair of Jack Hilton's built by Alan Brown and they were most definitely 11 footers. Very odd unlined rings.

Think I've still got one kicking around somewhere....I'm not sure where but quite frankly,my dear....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Don't quote me on this, but I thought Peter Stone (?) stated somewhere that Jack Hilton became a Jehovah's Witness almost overnight following a knock on his door one evening.....If not Stone then one of his ilk.

Also, that ' they ' had never seen such a change in someone's outlook on life following the conversion..

Possibly in an old carp book written by someone else, or possibly the angling Times booklet released at the time of Walkers death ?

Too far back to remember factually...........

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
There is a bit in "Quest for Carp" - it was originally going to be 12ft but after some trial and error / cutting back, it ended at 11ft (10ft 10 blank and some dural in the handle). Approx 2lb test curve.

Are we talking about the same rod ? My Jack Hilton carp rods by Alan Brown were definitely 11footers and only 1.5lb test. Slim cork handle with Roberts reel fittings.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I still have a pair of these carp rods which I ordered the blanks from Alan Brown & had to collect them from the railway depot because of their awkward shape (long before 'white van man').They are 11ft with around 18" of dural pipe for the butt section & I have landed carp to over 20lb on them.Compared to modern carbon rods they feel as if they are made of rubber.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Are we talking about the same rod ? My Jack Hilton carp rods by Alan Brown were definitely 11footers and only 1.5lb test. Slim cork handle with Roberts reel fittings.

Probably not - that was the spec of the prototype. Mentioned in his book. I would think the commercial versions were probably a bit different - eg he mentions cutting bits off both sections an refitting the ferrules which stiffened it up( and probably made it 2ld)