Bait drop feeder

mikench

Reaction score
Are these used purely to lay down some bait such as pellets , hemp or particles, on the river/ lake bed or does one attach a hook length to it?

If so how is it done?

sam vimes

Reaction score
A bait dropper is purely for depositing bait into a swim, usually in flowing water.

Ideally, you should be attaching them direct to a mainline in conjunction with a reasonably substantial rod. A full dropper should then be dropped or gently cast to the desired spot. They are not intended to be used for actual fishing.

greenie62

Reaction score
Usually to lay down a tight bed of bait on the bed.
Beware - you can get then in metal or plastic - the metal ones are heavy, normally for use on a river - the plastic ones are lighter and more suited to lakes / ponds / canals.
They have a hoop at the top which you thread the hook/link through then hook into the retainer at the base of the back of the filled dropper cage. The loaded contraption is lowered into the required position in the swim - the cage springs open when contacting the bottom - then retieved, hook link freed, baited-up and carry on fishing, re-applying the bait as required.

Hope that makes sense. Tight Lines!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have two rods for my bait droppers.

For the small dropper i use an old 2lb Tc rod, the dropper is tied direct to 10lb line.

The large half pint dropper is fixed direct to braid on an old spod rod.

I know that droppers have some cork on them so you can put the hook into it, and so use it between fishing, but that can't be good for your hook link or hook.

Having a separate rod for the dropper is much easier.

barbelboi

Reaction score
One thing to remember using a dropper, especially if using at distance, don't overfill or they will fail to open...............

PS By distance I refer to 15-30m

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
One thing to remember using a dropper, especially if using at distance, don't overfill or they will fail to open...............

PS By distance I refer to 15-30m

I have found that a light top and bottom float directly above the dropper can act like a flight to keep it upright if casting out a bit.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have found that a light top and bottom float directly above the dropper can act like a flight to keep it upright if casting out a bit.

Never tried that John but I never have a problem if I feather the cast and ensure the line is slack enough to drop down straight.

mikench

Reaction score
I take enough tackle without a rod and reel just in case I decide to use one. I never have and probably never will. I do have an old DAM 10ft match rod bought 20odd years ago for my son and a cheap Shimano reel so could use that I suppose! I bought the dropper because I was intrigued by it:)