Koi herpesvirus (KHV) disease

chrissh

Reaction score
Just found out that one of the fisheries I go to has Koi herpesvirus (KHV) disease… I always dip my net in the disinfectant and hang the net out to dry after a fishing trip … my question is can the disease still live inside my stink bag and should I dip the bag

soft plastic

Reaction score
Who knows? Who cares? All I know is that the disease seems to be limited to high profile commercials. Most of those have abnormally high stocking densities, shallow water, low oxygen levels, insufficient natural food, etc etc. All in all, just your average carp puddle.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sunlight is supposed to be the best option. UV light being the actual destroyer.
If your net bag stays damp then it could possibly carry the virus. Dipping it and then allowing it to dry thoroughly in direct sunlight (along with your nets) is not going to hurt.

chrissh

Reaction score
Care to name it. Is it in Lincs?

hi john ...
no it not in lincs it one i go to once a month

Press release
Koi herpesvirus disease outbreak confirmed in South Yorkshire

Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science
First published:
4 August 2016

Koi herpesvirus (KHV) disease has been confirmed in carp (Cyprinus carpio) at Aston Park Fisheries, South Yorkshire
Carp mortalities from Koi herpesvirus (KHV) disease

An outbreak of KHV disease has been confirmed at Aston Park Fisheries, Aston Way, Mansfield Road, Aston, Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

sam vimes

Reaction score

thecrow

Reaction score
Who knows? Who cares? All I know is that the disease seems to be limited to high profile commercials.

Sorry but that is far from being true, a small syndicate water that I fished some 30 years ago (few fish and fewer members) lost most of its fish to this, it can and does strike anywhere.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well i fish one pool that is rather shallow but .

The nets i use stay there and are not used anywhere else i have others for the canals so chances are i aint going to either introduce or export KHV form/to anyhere .

PG ...

steve2

Reaction score
The main thing is that it only appears to infect carp and there are plenty of those to go round.
Sorry just the way I feel about the overstocking of carp in this country.

laguna

Reaction score
One of my clubs has been closed for several weeks because of KHV and its not high profile water either. Its a natural spring-fed 3 lake system and its not overly stocked. The problem is one of security as its set bang in the middle of some woods where the public has access. We have had problems with poachers and people putting unwanted gold fish in. The club has been told to install dip tanks for the nets, and were waiting now for the all clear as had no fatalities now for almost 3 weeks.

rayner

Reaction score
Up until now the infected pond at Aston park is the only one at the venue to show signs, a net dip as been in place since the outbreak. Nets are to be dipped before and after fishing.
Other ponds at Aston Park and Aston springs are fishing very well.

laguna

Reaction score
Update to my previous post.
Bad news, the top pond is infected too, so it will almost certainly be unfishable for the rest of the year.