How long can you concentrate.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
By that I mean retain focus whilst fishing. Some forms of fishing require instant response, ie:- the dip of the float etc. But how long can you maintain those Bruce Lee reactions throughout the day?

It goes without saying I'm discounting the self hooking set ups. I can say from my own standpoint that for some time now I've noticed that my own focus and reaction time seems to be waning over a two to three hour period, but that could be due to an age thing. What are your thoughts on this?

seth49

Reaction score
Can still float fish for eight to ten hours on the Stillwater I fish, but I do break it up having a natter to my mate every couple of hours.

Also have a walk and talk at lunchtime for about half an hour.but I can can keep focused the rest of the time.

flightliner

Reaction score
As long as I can keep stood up if I,m trotting a stickfloat Derek which is about six hours max. After that I,m a wreck the day after!.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
How long can I . . . . .

Sorry, what was the question again?

Seriously though, I find that these days about an hour is the longest without taking a short break.

Even then I will continue to fed (old match man habits never die)

I actually like to take these short breaks as it gives you time to really think and consider your approach which often changes drastically through the day. To stand, or sit there constantly I find I get a sort of tunnel vision to my fishing and continue with a method even if it is not really working . . . . . .

A short break and a cup of tea or coffee can often work wonders for a change of mind or to revitalise the concentration.

trotter2

Reaction score
About a couple of hours for me also.
The best fishing usually IMO is over in about that time, its rare you can keep catching from the same swim consistently all day long. Once you get them feeding it tends to hit a peak and then your going into a slowing off period. I tend to go walk about, look for another swim, or head off home.
:)

rayner

Reaction score
I like to keep busy, if things are slow my attention wanders unless I make changes. Instant responses keep my attention.
Life's too short to sit waiting for fish that are not in the mood, if I go through all my changes and they still aren't playing there's always another day.
As for how long I fish, as long as I'm busy I will fish all day. I don't consider I have much concentration at all.

barbelboi

Reaction score
My concentration tends to remain remarkably high throughout these marathon sessions I tend to carry out.......................

vort

Reaction score
If I start flagging then I get the kettle and stove out. It's not just the drinking of the tea but also the ritual of making it that gives me a break.
Once I have finished the tea then I find concentration is back up to its usual level.
If you are not moving swims then it's a good idea to keep the bait going in while you make tea.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If I'm fishing hemp or similar then I have to keep rod in hand for the instant bites, so concentration is total. Once the fish are on it the bites are pretty much full on and continuous, BUT that doesn't mean I can sit for hours doing the same thing !
I usually take a break for tea every hour or so, and during this period I will pop on a small piece of flake and fish it over depth, just to see what happens. Supping hot tea and watching a float tip - what could be better, eh ?

All I know, is that at the end of a session I am knackered and once home I usually doze for an half an hour after eating, but this as much to do with the early mornings, and being way the wrong side of 70 !!

I really like intense fishing with the rod butt in my lap at all times rather than having it sitting in rests - I suppose I just hate missing bites !

ps I've always been an early riser and wide awake from the off, but I do know some who just cannot wake up for love nor money - they almost finish the nights sleep on the bank - Ugh !!!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I find that I can concentrate most of the day!:) my memory isn't what it was however but don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

It use to be a good few hours, these days it might be five minutes ?

So I let the modern set ups do the work and wait for the alarm to wake me up.

But at least I know how to set a trap that works !!!

Bob

john step

Reaction score
Not as much as I used to be able to concentrate...what was the question again?

B

binka

I've noticed that my own focus and reaction time seems to be wan ing over a two to three hour period

Derek... I had to read that three times before I could get rid if a stray "k" :eek:

Sorry :eek:mg:

For me it very much depends on how much sleep I've had the night before and the method I'm fishing.

Sometimes, when fishing the tip, I feel like I'm simply going to roll off my chair and into the water whereas the float does tend to keep me buzzing, not just out of necessity but also the enjoyment of it.

I'm afraid to say that my lure fishing escapades have almost seen me fall to sleep standing up :(

So no set time really, all depending on the variables on the day.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Nothing has changed for me, I can still concentrate for the period I am fishing.

Spent the whole day ( about 9 hours) out in the river with my chest waders, only came to the bank twice, once for a P, the other for a cuppa and a bite to eat.

My mates thought i was Mad, but it proved to be the right decision with a good mixed bag of fish.

theartist

Reaction score
If I'm ledgering it's usually about ten minutes before I get bored hence the love of watching the small orange dot run down the river again and again and ...

Could do that all day but like others have said after a long day staring at the float one is rather tired, as much mentally as physically.

buick_toni

Reaction score
I have good concentration skills, so no problem to fish for a day without losing focus even there was no catch at all. Unlike my wife, she's a kind of fisher who wants something to happen all the time! Well, she's been fishing with me only for couple of seasons so maybe beginners anxiety? :D

But truth to be told, sometimes I've been fishing for 12 hours straight and keeping focused for the whole time. I may have some characteristics of a perfectionist and like to give 100% when I'm doing something. AND without that being a problem to me :p

Or maybe it's just because fishing is just the greatest passion and the most relaxing thing for me hobby-wise. Just watching a float or casting lures in fine weather for a day might be the most calming thing of all to clear my head of work and rush of modern world.

steve2

Reaction score
Not very long, I am an impatient angler when I fish rivers I need to know what’s round the next bend. The only time I sit still for long is winter pike fishing when I sit back read a book but then only if the weather is bad. I always feel the need to be doing something.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Does fishing on 'autopilot' count as losing concentration...? Certainly when I am lure fishing my mind wanders off all over the place (and
that is not the only time that happens....!)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I mostly fish short session 3 or 4 hours but if I'm fishing for a full day I have no problem concentring - but I do have a 5 minutes or so break every couple of hours for a cuppa

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I would say this all depends on one very important factor - the fish!!

If I felt that the bite I was after was coming "any minute now...." then I can sustain concentration for hours on end, but there does have to be some reward in that, i.e. at least getting a bite, better hooking a fish and best of all landing a fish!!

However, I do sometimes have a break when I've caught a really decent fish (a decent carp, barbel or tench say) immediately after I've put it back. I think sometimes a decent fish - particularly when it's been hard won - deserves a moment of reflection, a chance to replay what's happened and really enjoy the moment. I know some might want to get cast back in absolutely as soon as possible - but there's times when I'd just as soon have a couple of moments to reflect.

(and anyway, I can always put in a bit of feed to the swim if I think it's that hot!)