50lb carp from Yorkshire river.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There have been strong rumours than an even bigger fish (60lb+) was banked from the same river less than two weeks later. The fish pictured has been confirmed as a flood escapee from a gravel pit fishery in close proximity to the river. What is quite surprising is that the fish has grown significantly since it escaped. Whispers hint that the lumps may not reside in the river any longer.

robtherake

Reaction score
There have been strong rumours than an even bigger fish (60lb+) was banked from the same river less than two weeks later. The fish pictured has been confirmed as a flood escapee from a gravel pit fishery in close proximity to the river. What is quite surprising is that the fish has grown significantly since it escaped. Whispers hint that the lumps may not reside in the river any longer.

No surprise, really; there are plenty of people who are unscrupulous enough, although you could hardly fault the original owner for attempting to recover his stock, if that was the case. As I understand, there were several waters that suffered the same fate, so there is quite a head of carp in some of the affected rivers.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't know where they might have ended up, but they haven't gone back to the lake they originally came from.

sagalout

Reaction score
Would it be possible for a "native" river carp to have a gut like that? I would expect escapees to the river to slim down dramatically so Sam's comment really surprises me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Would it be possible for a "native" river carp to have a gut like that? I would expect escapees to the river to slim down dramatically so Sam's comment really surprises me.

I rather suspect that the shape of carp has more to do with genetics than environment/food source. This fish may just reinforce that thought. "Boilie gut" may well be a bit of a myth. Those with an interest in the water it came from suggest that the fish was a mid thirty when it was lost in the 2007 floods.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Anyone got a single scrap of evidence to support this.
I've gone beyond the usual five minutes googling and I can't find anything.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anyone got a single scrap of evidence to support this.
I've gone beyond the usual five minutes googling and I can't find anything.

There was plenty on Twitter and Facebook, but much has since been deleted. Most of the carp periodicals ran with the story, but it may not be visible online.
There is an article on the Korda Website.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Sorry Sam.
I'm not interested in Twitter and Facebook or Kordas website.
The link to original post stated that the record had been confirmed.
It hasn't.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The link to original post stated that the record had been confirmed.
It hasn't.

Such things take months if they go through an official body such as the BRFC. However, as this isn't actually a national record, which makes no differentiation between river and stillwater, I doubt it'll go through them. Whether it's actually the biggest UK river caught carp is largely unimportant. There have been a few murmurs of bigger, including from the same river, but these have not been publicised. It may be the case that this is a river record by default. I doubt that it'll ever be genuinely official.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
This wouldn't go to the BRFC, it's not a British Record, just a claim for a river record.

I did notice in the write up that the fish is 50lb 10ozs, then its 50lb 1oz, I take it this must be a miss print. ??

The bad one

Reaction score
It's a big fish and let give the lad some credit for catching it. He after all didn't put it in the river, he used his opportunity through observations he'd made of other fish and dropped lucky. As most big fish captures are!

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Of course it takes the brfc months to look into these claims.
But the free publicity for the bait company is instant.
Cynical? Moi?

sagalout

Reaction score
I rather suspect that the shape of carp has more to do with genetics than environment/food source. This fish may just reinforce that thought. "Boilie gut" may well be a bit of a myth. Those with an interest in the water it came from suggest that the fish was a mid thirty when it was lost in the 2007 floods.
I always thought the gut on the carp was to much beer and curry. I must tell Mrs Lout my gut is genetics.

Seriously, I am amazed at that, I wouldn't have thought a fish could find enough food in a river and sustain it's energy needs to put weight on like that. Shows how much I know :eek: