An idle curiosity question

mikench

Reaction score
When I see 2 or even 3 rods side by side on a peg or lake bank I always wonder how you prevent the lines becoming crossed and tangled! After all fish do not swim in strict lines or one direction!

Is there an explanation? Do you cast one line way to the left and the other way to the right and one down the middle? They must get tangled!;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
They don't end up tangled half as often as you might expect. However, a great deal depends on the angler behind the rods. As far as I'm concerned, the key to minimising tangles is backleads.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
They don't end up tangled half as often as you might expect. However, a great deal depends on the angler behind the rods. As far as I'm concerned, the key to minimising tangles is backleads.

Back leads and knowing your other lines are on the bottom

That, and carefully playing and landing a fish on the one rod.

As Sam says, tangling the other lines is not all that common in reality.

mikench

Reaction score
I am surprised at that and would have thought tangles would have been commonplace. I will not be trying it anytime soon:)

peterjg

Reaction score
Backleads definately help, it is also common practice to take the other rod off of the rests while you are playing the carp and lower it into the edge with the reel still out of the water.