A bad year for Blackspot

theartist

Reaction score
On my travels this year I've been catching a lot of fish with blackspot this season. On the Cherwell yesterday it was bad as was some of the Somerset rivers I fished on holiday the month before. Closer to home I don't remember the Lea being as bad as this season with not just the roach but many chub and barbel having it too.

I know it's not a serious disease but have you noticed more black spot this year or is it just following me around?

B

binka

My local town centre dam was heaving with blackspot towards the end of last season with a few lesser cases on other local stillwaters, the roach being the only species I noticed it on.

Not seen any of it on the Trent so far.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My local town centre dam was heaving with blackspot towards the end of last season with a few lesser cases on other local stillwaters, the roach being the only species I noticed it on.

Not seen any of it on the Trent so far.

I've only ever noticed it on roach and rudd but they get it every year, especially in still waters.
I've never seen blackspot on a barbel. The main parasites I see are argulus (flat space ship looking creatures) that attach themselves to fish, I enjoy scraping them off fish and popping them like bubble wrap :D.
Some of the trout i've had this season have been caked in them, even down their throats! I do spend a little time in removing the bast's and i'm sure the fish breath a sigh of relief when they've been relieved of them.

barbelboi

Reaction score
None at all. I've had a fair few roach from the local rivers and streams this season and they've all been 'clean'.

clonker

Reaction score
Seen it on roach from my local river this year but not on any other species

theartist

Reaction score
Ok popped out for a few hours during the week and had another barbel with blackspot, i'm going to try and put a few photos up to show it does affect barbel as I can't find much references to barbel with blackspot online anywhere.

barbel_black_spot.jpg

View image in gallery

The photos are of the same fish, whilst it's not as bad a roach get, the black spot can be seen here. On the main pic its harder to see due to the reflection whereas the head shot its more visible