Ledgering or Legering?

B

binka

Which is right?

Spurred on by the two repeated variations in spelling which occasionally crop up I thought I would ask the question.

To me a ledger is something that keeps a running total of amounts as in book keeping and leger is the weight used in fishing.

What d'ya reckon?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the era in which you mean then t can be . . . either

Back in the 50's we only had 3 types of large weight; bullet, spiral or coffin shaped, with only the coffin leads really used for "ledgering" while the drilled bullet and spirals mostly used to spinning . . . . . .

The early meaning of "ledger" was a large flat stone laid over filled-in graves in some arid countries.

If follows that those early coffin lead were referred to as "Ledgers" and the method was known as "ledgering"

I am unsure as to when the more modern "Leger" came into being but from at least the 80's onward it seems to have changed to "legering"

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On the FM spellcheck "legering" comes up as a miss spelling, on offer are:-
leering
levering
lingering
lettering
fingering

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I prefer leger to ledger; both have roots in old French with a meaning 'to lay'. Leger can be found from the 50s (Walker) though not all authors preferred it. Colin Dyson still used ledger in the 70s.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have always spelt it "ledgering" no idea why.

There are other things in angling that have different ways to describe them one I have always wondered about is when casting is the angler casting in or casting out?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Do people actually use the term any more ? I'm far more likely to say I was "on the lead" or "on the tip/feeder" than "I was ledgering".

That said its ledgering for me. Leger is a horse race.

Isn't that horse race called the St Leger ??

It's the lead to me.