Blanking, the dirty word.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I may well be the odd one out here, but you won't find me whinging and grizzling as the result of a blank. Since most of my outings,(few as they are these days) are of short duration and local, the odd blank will not see me throwing a tantrum. That's in contrast to the guy who has joined me for a couple of trips recently. He is not a novice so one would expect a degree of tolerance, but no chance, this individual behaved like a petulant child. Needless to say he will not be joining me on any further trips.

Do you know anyone of this ilk?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No. Blanking is an occupational hazard and no matter what any of us does the odd one [or more] is inevitable. I think the vast majority of us accept that...however much we might not like it.

That said a fish in the net early doors is a great boost.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had the misfortune of fishing, in the past, with one or two like this.

Personally speaking, I always try to learn something from a blank session as there was something that was just not right (otherwise I expect to catch)

So, I take the time afterwards to analyse and review what I was doing, be it my bait(s) method(s) or even conditions and then try to firm up the real reason for the blank.

To my mind even a blank can be a valuable learning experience, even after all these years . . . .

greenie62

Reaction score
I find that the first trip to a new water I expect to blank - if I don't then I'm amazed and wonder what I did wrong! :eek:

As others will doubtless say - there's always something to learn from blanking - particularly on waters you have had success on in the past - "What did I do wrong?" - "What's different about today's session?" - "What's wrong with my bait/presentation/delivery?".

Went through a 'blanking' period last year - 4 trips all blank - not a tickle - then bonanza next session! - I put it down to thinking about the reasons for the blanks - and then capitalising on the lessons learnt - just wish I could remember what they were!:rolleyes::eek:mg:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It ll depends on what I'm fishing for, where I'm fishing and the time of year - so if I blank and can put a reason why then I'm happy to seek a solution - if not then I do wonder what I've done wrong but I won't have a paddy about it

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm with PJ's line of thought - it's a learning experience.

Also, however many learning experiences you encounter are generally decided by the type of water you fish................

mikench

Reaction score
It doesn't worry me at all and I have blanked regularly ! I am improving however and I now blame the fish;) If they cannot be bothered to enjoy the delightful little morsels of loveliness which I am giving away for free then they do not deserve to be caught:rolleyes:

Now if one of the baits that day happens to be marshmallows or peanut butter on bread I eat them myself.

Last edited:
B

binka

It depends on the circumstances for me, if I feel I've simply fished badly to earn my blank then it's irritating although I won't going throwing any tantrums.

If my blank is the result of trying something new or targeting something in particular then it doesn't bother me at all as I'm most likely doing it to achieve something different to the motions I've previously been going through.

john step

Reaction score
Its a similar frame of mind I feel as those that are always looking for the next personal best.
When asking you what you caught you can feel them inwardly "tsk" when you declare " only a couple of little uns"

You have to take the rough with the smooth. I can recall Bob Roberts a well known writer in the mags a year or two ago saying he could not catch a Trent barbel for love or money at the start of the season.

At the time I was doing very well. That thought sustains me when I blank there!

robtherake

Reaction score
The only blanks that get to me are the ones where you go home no wiser than before, having picked up nothing that helps for the next visit.

steve2

Reaction score
I blanked today lure fishing on the river something I am getting use to with the river being so low, clear and no flow.
Although I caught nothing I did spot some large roach and chub so hopefully today’s blank will bring me some good winter fishing.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

It's goes with the territory, blanking is part of the game, I fished a big hard pit in Hertfordshire throughout one winter.

50 nights and 100 part days =7 runs, a Tench, a Bream and Two Carp, but every fish was worth all those blank days and nights.

Wish I was fit enough to be doing all over again.

Bob

thecrow

Reaction score
Never fished with anyone that has thrown a wobbly because of not catching but I have fished with one or two that have taken umbridge at me catching bigger or more than them not that it was a regular thing :D

Its part of fishing to blank and if anyone cannot accept them as that maybe they should be taking up golf or something. fortunately I fished for big fish long enough to learn to accept them and after a blank if I ever go home without thinking of the next time I go I will jack it all in.

terry m

Reaction score
Tis part of an anglers life.

As others have said it is part of the learning.

However long runs of blanks, 7 or 8 sessions can become tedious and generate some soul searching.

eyelburm8

Reaction score
Blanks are part of angling. Part of the joy of angling is just being there, if I never blanked I probably would have stopped fishing by now. As the previous posters state as long as something is learned for the next trips then all is not lost. :thumbs: