The Throwing Stick

barbelboi

Reaction score
Has anyone any knowledge of who first introduced a throwing stick to angling?

The first reference to a 'throwing stick' that I can remember was by Fred J Taylor in his book - Angling in Ernest.

He spoke about sticking a lump of stiff groundbait on the top of the butt section of an old rod and with the flick of the wrist, the lump of bait was sent flying a considerable distance. But this was hardly an innovation as such. Kids had been chucking lumps of clay and stiff mud around on the ends of sticks for donkey's years......................

trotter2

Reaction score
I had one as a kid made from an old bicycle pump tried it once them it went in the bin LOL

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I remember anglers on the Leicester Straight sitting virtually shoulder to shoulder when the power station pumped warm water into the canal & that's where I first saw a short bit of plastic tubing being used to loose feed maggots and was amazed how effortless it seemed and very accurate - this was about 45 years ago

thecrow

Reaction score
Pete Shears;1388129[B said:
]I remember anglers on the Leicester Straight sitting virtually shoulder to shoulder when the power station pumped warm water into the canal[/B] & that's where I first saw a short bit of plastic tubing being used to loose feed maggots and was amazed how effortless it seemed and very accurate - this was about 45 years ago

One of the places I used to fish for carp years ago casting up into the warm water outlets bait was usually Edam if you could keep the rats of it that was early 60s caught some good roach on silkweed from the weir there as well, happy days of catching the bus to Leicester and staying all weekend.

Sorry to digress from the original thread but your post brought some good memories back.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Not sure, but I have an Original Solar throwing stick. Nash bought out a copy a few years ago.

The problem with them is the wind, if your fishing at any great distance.

flightliner

Reaction score
Saw them used for the first time on a north east Derbyshire pond back in the early sixties by local anglers, had one ( in my box now) ever since.

The bad one

Reaction score
Lets be clear here about what you are defining as a throwing stick. Is it a boillie throwing stick? Because at the earliest that couldn't have been used until boilies became used widely and that would have been the mid 70s.
A sort tube for flicking maggots at your float, first saw them used in the 60s.

A spoon type cup on a pole for hurling groundbait balls out anything up to 100 yards?
Here I can shed some light on it, late 1960s and used by the big bream anglers of the three counties meres. Designed and made by a guy called Doug Stermey a good mate at the time of the first editor of this site.
I copied Doug's design from one of his originals a mate had in the late 70s, which I still have and use today when the need arises. Brilliant device but takes a bit of getting use to, to get the ball release trajectory right for maximum distance. Once mastered there isn't a catty made that can touch them for the distance.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Phil, I was thinking more of any 'stick like' contraption that would get your 'feed' out somewhat further than otherwise possible. Fred J's effort with groundbait must have been the early 50's (we were slinging clay on sticks some distance at the time but never thought to adapt to Fred's idea) - I also remember the 'maggot tubes' on the early 60's LAA river matches.