Hook colour

john step

Reaction score
M'Lord, try tipexing your hook when using white bread as a floater.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For years now I have used gold hook for fishing sweet corn and dark red for bloodworm rigs.

Otherwise I just stick to the natural silver or black colour, even for bread fishing or the ubiquitous pellet . . . . .

theartist

Reaction score
I think green is an under used colour for hooks and shot, a while ago there was green shot (Anchor I think) which I really liked, as I have a theory that green is harder to see than any other colour - hence predators like Perch Pike and Zander using it.

In bright sunlight and clear water I hate silver hooks and shot as I'm sure it spooks them.

trotter2

Reaction score
Not sure, but been using red hooks for maggots and caster for a few years and don't find any difference to my catch rate. Be interested in what others have to say on this subject.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Most of my hooks are bog basic bronze/black/grey and hook colour is not something that particularly bothers me.I do like a silver hook when punch fishing though that might be simply because the pattern I like happens to be silver.

Never have liked gold hooks....even for sweetcorn and though I've got some red hooks I rarely use them. Hook colour is probably the last thing that would occur to me to change if I was struggling.

Chefster

Reaction score
I had some white hooks for dobbing bread in the winter,but i dropped them in the snow!!

ken more

Reaction score
Never really thought about hook colour before, and use the type of hook more than colour, but now i'm wondering if fish might be colour blind like some other things? Does anyone know?:);bp

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First time I used kamasan animal hooks I was a little unsure as they're a shinny silver colour. I needn't have worried as they catch me just as many fish as any others, infact i'm beggining to wonder if the shinny silver colour is and added attraction.

ken more

Reaction score
First time I used kamasan animal hooks I was a little unsure as they're a shinny silver colour. I needn't have worried as they catch me just as many fish as any others, infact i'm beggining to wonder if the shinny silver colour is and added attraction.

Used them myself before and caught, like the idea of them being a shiney attraction too, it works with some lures:)

barbelboi

Reaction score

I used the animals for years and wouldn't knock 'em (unlike some fishing line;)) but changed just for personal preference Ian. I find the Kamasan 911X more to my liking................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used the animals for years and wouldn't knock 'em (unlike some fishing line;)) but changed just for personal preference Ian. I find the Kamasan 911X more to my liking................

I've never seen the 911X hooks, are they as strong as the animals?

barbelboi

Reaction score

I've taken carp on them to mid 20's up in the water size 12 & 14 without them showing any stress. If you hover over the picture to make it bigger HERE you can get an idea of the shape....

PS I use the eyed version and tie a KK

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've taken carp on them to mid 20's up in the water size 12 & 14 without them showing any stress. If you hover over the picture to make it bigger HERE you can get an idea of the shape....

PS I use the eyed version and tie a KK

They look good (I like the shape of them) but I use barbed, the bigger the barb the better ;). Being serious I like micro barbed hooks.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Not sure, but been using red hooks for maggots and caster for a few years and don't find any difference to my catch rate. Be interested in what others have to say on this subject.
Use red hooks myself. All I can say is that several times over the years I have caught fish on a bare red hook. That's good enough for me.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

B

binka

They are my go to strong hooks Ian:)

Being the lazy sod I am I've even opened 'em out on snags and got 'em back and if the point hasn't folded over I just bend 'em back to shape with me thumb and can't ever recall opening one back out on a fish.

I use 'em a lot for perch which tend to open out a regular wire hook with their constant, aggresive head shaking.

I've got the Kamasan Animals too which make me feel uncomfortable with their Mr Sheen shine but I don't think it makes much difference to them that swim.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They are my go to strong hooks Ian:)

Being the lazy sod I am I've even opened 'em out on snags and got 'em back and if the point hasn't folded over I just bend 'em back to shape with me thumb and can't ever recall opening one back out on a fish.

I use 'em a lot for perch which tend to open out a regular wire hook with their constant, aggresive head shaking.

I've got the Kamasan Animals too which make me feel uncomfortable with their Mr Sheen shine but I don't think it makes much difference to them that swim.

They do sound and look the part Steve and if they make them in a micro barbed version i'll certainly give them ago :).

I think my most often used hook (along with the animals) is the drennan super spade. They are duller in colour than the animals and have a micro barb and inturned point the same and are quite strong.
Another thing I like bout the animals and super spades is when i'm using 6lb straight through as I do on the majority of occasions and I hook a sunken branch or snag a steady pull usually bends the hook enough to allow it to come free rather than have my line break off higher up and possibly above my float. I prefer a spade end hook also as imo it hangs much better on the line and doesn't have the unsightly knot on top of the eye that an eyed hook has ;).

barbelboi

Reaction score
doesn't have the unsightly knot on top of the eye that an eyed hook has

Not if you tie a KK without the hair Ian - having said that a spade does tend to hang better but unless it's in the small sizes I'm not that concerned....