Method Feeder Fishing

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Iwould like to try Method Feeder Fishing on Stillwaters, however, i have never tried this type of fishing before and i was wondering what size of Feeder Rod and what Size Reel i would need to cover this type of Fishing.

Also, are there any other factors i need to take in to consideration i.e Line size, type's of Feeders, and any Saftey Factors i need to consider?

Tight Lines

Regards

Steph. /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
The method is a highly efficient means of catching a variety of species but you need to be kitted out right. There are a number of powerful feeder rods on the market and some are even called 'method feeder' rods. Make sure you buy a rod capable of chucking a method feeder without breaking!! Personally, I prefer to use barbel rods for method work. A John Wilson 1.75lb test curve Barbel System rod (NOT the Avon version -not pokey enough) is ideal (can now be bought for about £50) and it can be fished at 11ft or 13ft. I recently purchased a Shakespeare Mach 1 12ft Power Feeder and it's an absolute steal at under £40. Easily capable of launching small to medium feeders.

I tend to use buzzers as bite indicators on free runner type reels. Both the rods above have a variety of insert quiver tips ranging from 2 - 4oz. Use the one to suit the conditions but I tend to use the heaviest or even the solid top of the JW.

Reel sizes are in the 4000 - 5000 bracket and I prefer runner type. The Shimano Aero 5000 RE is a reasonably priced reel as is the Daiwa Regal Plus Series. Lines are 8 - 10lb bs mono (Daiwa Sensor is good) and I use Reflo 7lb 12oz hook lengths.

I use a variety of feeders from the small Korum flat feeders to the small to medium Fox 3 vane feeders. I don't think it makes that much difference but do make sure that the weight of the feeder without groundbait is heavy enough to act as a bolt rig. Too light and the bolt effect is compromised. The flat feeders are good for fishing on slopes (near islands for example) where an ordinarymethod feeder might roll out of position.

There's no need to introduce a shock leader with properly maintained mainline of 8 - 10lb but remember you are LOBBING a method feeder rather than winding up to a tournament cast.

The method is a little short on finesse but, as in everything, there's a right way and a wrong way. Make sure your gear can take the strain and it should give you plenty of fish. Good luck.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your replies, your help is invaluable to myself.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif