Boat wash!

B

binka

A pain in the arris!

Following a number of sessions on the river recently I have suffered everything from overflowed wellies to swamped bankside tackle.

However...

My faith in human nature was given an almighty boost yesterday whilst playing a barbel and one of those big, white, arrow shaped, floating gin palaces noticed that I was playing a fish and killed the revs to practically hold station downriver until I had landed the fish :)

Now that is respect!

A friendly, reciprocated wave and nod of appreciation from yours truly and the job was quite literally a fish.

But what of those that don't give a toss and where's the enforcement for speeding boats?

peterjg

Reaction score
If there is one subject to wind me up it is boaters and canoeists. There are boaters which show consideration to other river and canal users but all too many just do not care at all.

They (mostly) have no regard for speed limits, canoeists on the Thames are mainly selfish so and soes and come too close to the bank, the worst offenders are the weekend admirals who hire boats on a daily or weekly basis - they have not got a clue, are a complete menace and obviously don't give a monkeys! While fishing the K&A canal on two occasions I have had boats crash into the bank directly where I have been fishing! At Kintbury on the K&A there is even a horse drawn barge which goes up down the canal, loaded with OAP tourists, the fishing is good but can wait until the holiday season is over.

Now I start my canal fishing in October and fish the river Kennet where it is not navigable (heaven).

greenie62

Reaction score
.......A friendly, reciprocated wave and nod of appreciation from yours truly and the job was quite literally a fish....

I have a vision of you giving a friendly wave as theCrow, behind the next bush, loads up the 6lber with grape-shot as his own personal protest against boating on perfectly fishable rivers!:D:D

thecrow

Reaction score
I have a vision of you giving a friendly wave as theCrow, behind the next bush, loads up the 6lber with grape-shot as his own personal protest against boating on perfectly fishable rivers!:D:D

After restarting my roach fishing I would never waste any kind of shot on such a considerate sailor :eek: as the fish was netted I heard a very polite round of applause from the direction of the craft, obviously crewed by gentlemen as oppose to the rough types that paddle those canoes :D

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

I have had boats crash into the bank directly where I have been fishing!

They must have been very interested in you or what you were doing :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But what of those that don't give a toss and where's the enforcement for speeding boats?

Black widow catty and ball bearings will cause problems for those types, if they have the bottle to come ashore for confrontation then they will inevitably be going to A&E for treatment ;).
Luckily the rivers I fish see very few boaters and those that do run the gauntlet seem to realise that coming ashore will be a bad decission :eek:.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... if they have the bottle to come ashore for confrontation then they will inevitably be going to A&E for treatment ;).
Luckily the rivers I fish see very few boaters and those that do run the gauntlet seem to realise that coming ashore will be a bad decission :eek:.

Is that because - the rivers you fish - are a long way from an (open) A&E dept.?;):eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is that because - the rivers you fish - are a long way from an (open) A&E dept.?;):eek:

Mmm....maybe, but i'd willingly operate on them on the bank, I even have my own form of anesthetic :D.

flightliner

Reaction score
Often a convoy of boats will come thro the lock at Cromwell on the river Trent, all sorts of craft from narrow boats, small pleasure boat, and the inevitable two or sometimes three very big, mostly white , and extremely costly big boats that seem to be either trying to make up lost time spent at the lock or vying for some invisible cock bird " I'm in front" honour.
Most are ok, especially the narrow boaters and one or two working boats but its the bouy racers that are the worst --- total toss - - s !!!.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a well known fact that playing a barbel can seriously unbalance the making of a perfect G and T...........just saying.

bracket

Reaction score
When I use to match fish on the Trent the cry "Barge" was a forewarning to get your gear up the bank. Initially the water would recede dramatically and than would flow back with a vengeance and that was the fishing done for thirty minutes. However on a canal you would pray for a boat to go through, as a killing method was to drop in straight after it passed through. Pete.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Mmm....maybe, but i'd willingly operate on them on the bank, I even have my own form of anesthetic :D.

Anaesthetics too good for them.
Torture them brutally for at least 94 months and then decapitate them in the most sadistic manner possible.
And then torture them some more even if they're dead.
And then we'll all be able to enjoy a nice quiet day fishing.

B

binka

Torture them brutally for at least 94 months and then decapitate them in the most sadistic manner possible.

Remind me never to get on the wrong side of you :eek: :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

94 months....that's a full time job :eek:, i'd need wages for that kind'a work ;).

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'm reminded of a club match on the Thames at old Windsor 2 years ago.
My peg (just above the railway bridge at home park) had a shallow sandy margin before dropping off into deeper water. Waders on, I set my seatbox telescopic legs to deep and set it up with fixed keepnet, groundbait bowl etc in 3ft of water.
Big waggler and maggot I had a big dace a chuck, some were the biggest 'kipper dace' I'd ever seen....
After 2 or so hours I reckoned I had at least 10lb and felt victory was in sight...

Then, from the corner of my eye, I glimpsed a massive white boat bearing downstream towards me at high speed...

I stood up on my precarious footplate and waved desperately at the driver to slow down but he didn't...

I'll never forget the moment the bow wave hit me and my biggest ever dace came to the surface in my net and eyed the situation before descending back down before jumping to freedom.

I didn't know what to grab first as I felt the first wetness reach the inside of my waders. My entire bait tray, ground bait bowl etc were afloat and I had a rod in one hand and the other steadying myself on my now floating seatbox....

Grrrr...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

A good few cattys full of pinkies tends to rather deter a lot from getting too gobby but then having a shave with the traditional Maceadonian knife that my dad made for me is quite effective as well ( it is sharp and hand made ) ...

PG ...