Confidence

steve2

Reaction score
Does having good tackle make you feel more confident in your fishing?
The reason I ask is that I was watching some people trying to play golf yesterday one of them said I felt more confident now he had a better set of clubs. Looking at the way he was playing the clubs were not making any difference but it gave him confidence.
If you had the best fishing tackle money could buy would make you feel more confident in your fishing or make no difference.
Me, it wouldn’t make any difference I would still blank.

Reaction score
I think so long as your kit is good enough then it won't make any difference. I suspect having better water craft, knowledge of the water, the ability to put the bait where you want it, and present it well, etc, will all inspire confidence.

How that extra confidence turns into more and/or bigger fish I don't know. Using my example above, it's the water craft, water knowledge, and bait presentation that would result in more fish, not the confidence itself.

But maybe the confidence means the bait gets left out there longer and that makes the difference.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Not a chance, I fish with traditional tackle a lot these days, most of it is rubbish compared with modern fishing tackle.

But confidence comes from the way you use the tackle, the water craft you possess and the rigs you use.

It has little or nothing to do with modern tackle ?

As for golf there has been some huge advances in the equipment and modern woods or should I say Metals, gives a massive advantage over the older clubs.

Bob

mikench

Reaction score
We all like new gear whether that be rods, reels or a new pair of trainers. They do not make you feel less confident that's for sure but they probably make little difference to your ability. Certainly new golf clubs did nothing for my game and are now consigned to the loft. That red blue and yellow ski outfit certainly did!!:rolleyes:

It announced to everybody on the slopes that a plonker with more money than sense and an utter novice had arrived! A particular fall damaged my knee, split the salopettes from front to back and that was my ski career over. :rolleyes:

Fishing is better!:wh

Keith M

Reaction score
To me confidence in my tackle is a major factor in my fishing.

If I have confidence in my rod, reel and line then I'm going to be spending less time worrying about whether the rod is going to be too stiff and therefore causing unnecessary hook pulls, or its just too forgiving and floppy for the job in hand and can't control a fish well enough, or whether my line is going to be really up to the job and not going to part as soon as a fish reaches any weed etc. Likewise If I have confidence in my presentation and my bait then I'm less likely to be constantly changing things before I've really given it a chance, so I will generally be fishing a lot more effectively and enjoying myself a lot more.

I don't need to have the most expensive gear; or the most modern gear either; as long as it does what I need it to do; and does it well; then my confidence follows.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't always catch as much without having that extra confidence in my tackle but it certainly makes it a lot less stressful Lol..

Keith

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
What I need to have the most confidence in is the last bit of tackle nearest the fish, probably the last 3 foot in most scenarios. Is the presentation as good as it possibly can be? Is the bait selection right? (When float fishing) is the bait on the deck? Would it be better another inch down? or up? Is the shotting right?.... etc.... that's where my confidence comes from.

I would actually say that the polar opposite is true in terms of tackle selection. If I had the best tackle that money could buy, the last thing I'd want to do with it is get it all covered in ming the way it always seems to when I'm fishing. Much better to be taking tackle I bought a while back, at what seemed like a bargain price and is still going strong - doesn't owe me anything, so dropping it in the mud and covering it in groundbait doesn't matter... So if all I had was the very best, it might stop me going at all! :)

chav professor

Reaction score
I try an remove myself from any confidence in the actual tools... Sure, quality line and hooks... possibly the cheaper items... but when you find a combination you are happy with... that is where it ends regarding tackle confidence.

I have a hand built cane rod... I get a huge amount of pleasure using it... I know it can do the job. I'm pretty certain its not always the 'best' choice. You definitely get confidence through experience. You get an almost 'sixth' sense... I define it as your brain drawing on prior experiences - subconsciously drawing you to adopt a particular approach to a given swim... Just stopping and having a cast on a hunch... having a feel for what is going on beneath the water.

You can get into a groove.. or a rut. I believe you can take troubles or insecurities to the river bank. A positive attitude.... and you are going to have the clarity of mind to make the most of any opportunities that may arise. Have the world on your shoulders?

I love that in the 'groove' feeling.... Take chances with casting... actually brushing the far bank branch with the bait plopping exactly on spot.... It feels good... the luck keeps coming! The alternative?????

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is that I was watching some people trying to play golf yesterday one of them said I felt more confident now he had a better set of clubs. Looking at the way he was playing the clubs were not making any difference but it gave him confidence.

Steve, this is a true story . . . .

Many years ago I was heavily into target archery and would spend 3 or 4 nights a week in the summer at the archery club.

One evening we were shooting a Hereford round, (6 dozen at 80 yds, 4 dozen at 60 yds and 2 dozen at 50 yds) with a short break between distances.

During one of the breaks a new member came over and asked me what type of bow I was using. I duly told him, and then he asked if he could pick it up, so I said, yes, just be careful.

He picked it up and flexed it and then he said:

"I am going to buy one of those, as I've been watching you and your bow is a lot more accurate than mine . . . . . . "

I didn't know whether to laugh or bloody cry!!!!!

robtherake

Reaction score
Having kit that's capable for the job is only a small part of the equation, but if you're happy, confident and familiar with your set-up then it's easier to focus on the important business of catching fish.

If you're unhappy with the limitations imposed by your equipment, then the fishing tends to suffer as a direct consequence, whether you're aware of it or not. Gear doesn't have to be perfect, though, just perfectly adequate.

bracket

Reaction score
I believe confidence goes hand in glove with using the right gear at the right time. The cost has little bearing on that. Pete.
:)

terry m

Reaction score
Confidence in my tackle? No, but I need to be comfortable that it is adequate and will perform well. A succinct difference.

Chefster

Reaction score
I certainly wouldnt feel confident,using a cheap pole,or cheap reel,i use handmade floats,best quality line,hooks,and bait,i like to use the very best i can afford,i enjoy using top of the range products,and i find it helps ,and assists to perform better...Its not a substitute for skill,but it can certainly help...Gazza

rayner

Reaction score
I certainly wouldnt feel confident,using a cheap pole,or cheap reel,i use handmade floats,best quality line,hooks,and bait,i like to use the very best i can afford,i enjoy using top of the range products,and i find it helps ,and assists to perform better...Its not a substitute for skill,but it can certainly help...Gazza

I agree, making sure all tackle you use is the best you can get means you can be sure that the tackle you are using is right.
Leaving you to concentrate solely on the job in hand, catching fish.
Not that I could ever justify buying top of the range tackle but making sure my tackle and bait is up to the job, leaves me to work out what the fish are doing rather than thinking is my kit good enough.

bullet

Reaction score
I think not having confidence in your tackle is the major problem, if that makes sense.

B

binka

If you had the best fishing tackle money could buy would make you feel more confident in your fishing or make no difference.

To me, top notch gear is an indulgence and definitely not a necessity.

You make allowances if you're using anything less and instead lean on experience to bridge the gap.

I can't say I would feel any more confident, adversely it would probably make me feel under pressure to get a result.

You can buy the gear but you can't buy the experience.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not for one moment can I suggest that top notch tackle (rods/reels) will necessarily get you more bites. Using the right gear for a given situation can certainly make a difference though. However, I'm firmly of the belief that such gear can help you to actually land bigger, or more, fish.

I don't consider myself to have improved a vast amount as an angler over the last ten years or so. However, my ability to land more or bigger fish has coincided nicely with a period of buying better and more target specific kit. I've no doubt at all that I've successfully landed umpteen good fish that I'd have lost with inferior gear.

Having the best kit in the world won't make you the best angler in the world. However, it might just allow you to make as much as you can out of whatever talent you do have. Besides, having good kit is rather enjoyable. I also find that I'm far more likely to make good kit last years. Plenty of angling acquaintance wouldn't dream of spending what I do on individual items of gear. They often end up spending far more when they buy cheap but upgrade almost every year. I have a particular rod for ten years plus. They have five to ten different rods in the same time and end up spending far more and still don't end up with kit as good as mine.

chav professor

Reaction score
Not for one moment can I suggest that top notch tackle (rods/reels) will necessarily get you more bites. Using the right gear for a given situation can certainly make a difference though. However, I'm firmly of the belief that such gear can help you to actually land bigger, or more, fish.

I don't consider myself to have improved a vast amount as an angler over the last ten years or so. However, my ability to land more or bigger fish has coincided nicely with a period of buying better and more target specific kit. I've no doubt at all that I've successfully landed umpteen good fish that I'd have lost with inferior gear.

Having the best kit in the world won't make you the best angler in the world. However, it might just allow you to make as much as you can out of whatever talent you do have. Besides, having good kit is rather enjoyable. I also find that I'm far more likely to make good kit last years. Plenty of angling acquaintance wouldn't dream of spending what I do on individual items of gear. They often end up spending far more when they buy cheap but upgrade almost every year. I have a particular rod for ten years plus. They have five to ten different rods in the same time and end up spending far more and still don't end up with kit as good as mine.

Full agreement there! I would rather buy 'once'... take care of it and make it last. In fact, other than bait, line, hooks and a few bits and bobs... I rarely spend or have the desire to spend on upgrades or anything else for that matter....

Even some of the rough stuff is ideal for light line fishing off the beach or rocks...

Lot to be said for the occasional quality purchase over constantly replacing old guff...

Still go back to fishing line as the ultimate confidence booster though.... Very skeptical of trying anything new. However, on occasions a punt pays off. Takes forever to get full confidence in the full range of scenarios. I'm currently using a japanese flouro - vastly over rated breaking strain... but if you change the 9kg breaking strain to pounds - as in ignore any chance that 9kg could be achieved - more like 9lb breaking strain... it pretty damn fine at 0.18mm diameter. Perfect for presenting insects!