Three steps forward two steps back

mikench

Reaction score
Had a mixed day today using chick peas for the first time. I had flavoured some with strawberry essence but no joy. However I discovered a new skill!:) if ever there was to be an Olympic event for throwing a single chick pea at a float some 8 yards distant, I would definitely be in the medals. I hit the float 7 times out of 10 and probably scared all the fish in the process. One Crucian and several small roach around 6 oz.

Ah well there is always tomorrow. By the way I was after tench which I have never caught and never seen in the flesh. I still have things to look forward to:wh

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
mikench......In the HDYGO thread I mentioned in a post last week that curried chickpeas really do catch some nice fish. They can be bought from Indian supermarkets or similar and use straight from the tin. Recommend them for tench also !

Have a read of the post, if you've a mind..........

Of course, you could make your own up with curry powder but the tinned jobies very good as they contain lots of flavours and NO preservatives in the ingredients.

Hope this helps !

ps Size 16 hook about right after some experimenting.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Tee Cee. I am going to apply some curry powder to some chick peas now!:)

mikench

Reaction score
The chick peas worked a treat yesterday both curry and strawberry flavour! I caught 8 carp , 3 mirror and 5 common all between 4 and 4lb to 7lb or so.

Having blanked for three hours and having tried to thread the line through the eyes of my feeder rod not knowing I had flicked the back wind switch, and being inundated with line, I nearly gave up! I get so frustrated with myself sometimes:(

I even had problems with my 2mm pellets which were probably too wet and would not come out of the mould. :mad: I nearly gave it all up!

I mounded the guru method feeder by hand which was no big deal and caught my first fish almost immediately. I reverted to the float later with a hair rigged chick pea and again caught almost on the drop!

An interesting, frustrating and exciting day all in one. Must buy some scales now I am catching fish worthy of being weighed. I hope I have been very conservative to date in my simple assessments:)