Liking short sessions

shane99

Reaction score
Have been going at dawn on a Saturday or Sunday morning and back by 9 for the last few months and really enjoying a 'short' session

Never thought I would appreciate just going for 3-5 hours but really enjoying going light and only taking what I will use.

As somebody else said on another forum - 1 small flask = session - lol so true :)

If it wasn't all day/night:) then i didn't think it was worth it so how long does everyone else do ?

Reaction score
Hi Shane

I've been getting into doing exactly what you've outlined. Get to the river at dawn, do a few hours, and home by 9:00 am. I'm generally very tired by the evening but the morning is my favourite time of day anyway.

I'm also trying to reduce the amount of stuff I take. Getting there, but a long way still to go!

Cheers
Derek

flightliner

Reaction score
Last twice out its been a rod/landing net/idleback held together with three laccy bands.
an old game bag with a few odds n ends and bait for the session, a bottle of water and a few bikkies.
All you need most times out if its a one method n bait kind of day.

B

binka

For some reason I'm only really beginning to get into my short evening sessions this year, as opposed to last when I was getting in three or four in a week.

Definitely a case, as you say, for the bare minimum of gear to make it more of a fishing session than a lugging and sifting through tackle session.

The bag I use is barely much bigger than an envelope with all my terminal gear going in waistcoat pockets.

I think I'm going to get hammered for this, especially by Skip who must be keen to shake of Clarkies handbag jibes, I've renamed the image appropriately...

Anyway it's not a handbag it's a shoulder bag!

:D:D:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm a big fan of short sessions for several reasons not least being that by the time I've left work, got round the M25 and parked there's not much of the day left ! I've got out of the habit of early sessions because there's nowhere I want to go/can go that's worth the effort of a dawn start ! Sad....but true. Just cannot be arsed ATM.

Clarky can bang on about my handbag as much as he likes. I'm happy with it and I have never been able to do this ultra minimalist lark. I've pared my gear down to what I consider to be the bare essentials and it still fills my handbag. Just nicely as it happens so yar boo Clarke !

ben10

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of short sessions.

The two main rivers I fish and the two main species I target seem to produce much better results for a few hours at dawn and a few hours at dusk - I guess that's probably the case at most venues and for most species.

I'd say I've had probably treble the amount of fish from 3 3 hour dawn/dusk sessions as I would have had from a single 9 hour day session.

Plus by doing short sessions I can go multiple times and still manage to fit all the boring stuff that needs to be done in too.

dann

Reaction score
I do a lot of short sessions too. Mostly in the evening as I am always short on time and struggle to get up too early in the morning. I tend to get there at 18:00 or 18:30 and fish until dark. Minimal gear so I can keep moving.

It is a beautiful time to be at the river, calm, still, lovely sunset and the wildlife is fantastic. Not to mention it being the best time of day for catching fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
For the last 10 or so years I have fished short (3 to 5 hour) evening sessions almost exclusively during the May till October period; plus the occasional early morning tench session (4am till 8:30am-ish) in May and June untill the rivers open.

Like others above; I catch far more than I ever did when I used to fish throughout the day.. In fact I can't actually remember having one single blank during this time; although I have come close once on one particular Stillwater which is very overfished and I definately won't be going back there in a hurry Lol.

Keith

Last edited: