Some great weather ahead, anyone got plans?

B

binka

I love this time of year, overgrown hedgerows that make tracks even narrower than they usually are and that certain knowing that if you hit it right you’re in for a proper treat.

Seemingly all but dead on occasions during the day but often frenzied come the latter hours of daylight.

To which effect I will be waving the long rod on the river from teatime until dusk tomorrow but with a bit of a twist in that I’ve always wanted to trot and feed sweetcorn as you would maggots in large quantities.

A trip to Aldi and a fiver should see that right and it will be interesting to see if I can get the bearded ones into a real frenzy, I think there’s a good chance and I might even pick up a couple of decent roach along the way.

Anyone got plans for making the most of the great weather over the next few days?

thecrow

Reaction score
My only plan regarding the forecast hot weather is to keep out of it :D as you know high temps and me don't mix, if I fish it will be early morning and home before the temp gets to high, very interested in what will happen with the sweetcorn trial.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love this time of year, overgrown hedgerows that make tracks even narrower than they usually are and that certain knowing that if you hit it right you’re in for a proper treat.

Seemingly all but dead on occasions during the day but often frenzied come the latter hours of daylight.

To which effect I will be waving the long rod on the river from teatime until dusk tomorrow but with a bit of a twist in that I’ve always wanted to trot and feed sweetcorn as you would maggots in large quantities.

A trip to Aldi and a fiver should see that right and it will be interesting to see if I can get the bearded ones into a real frenzy, I think there’s a good chance and I might even pick up a couple of decent roach along the way.

Anyone got plans for making the most of the great weather over the next few days?

Steve, I always use sweetcorn and maggots when targetting rough chops and beardies and it works for me, it got them frenzied enough to let me catch 43 in a sesssion several years back.

B

binka

My only plan regarding the forecast hot weather is to keep out of it :D as you know high temps and me don't mix, if I fish it will be early morning and home before the temp gets to high, very interested in what will happen with the sweetcorn trial.

I think we'll be back on cooler grounds by Thursday mate :)

I'm planning to fish the same swim as last week but not overly fussy if I don't as I reckon the fish are well spread enough, it's more a case of that regularity with the feed to get 'em on the go and by rocking up at the best time I won't have to ration it.

Well that's the theory anyway :):)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'll be making an effort to get to the river earlier tomorrow - 9-12 to miss the afternoon heat............

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Still waters, even the bigger ones as warm as bath water, so fish very sluggish, even in the early morning. Hardly worth the effort for a couple of average fish so I will catch up on jobs, do a bit of walking, finish a few floats to be ready for Thursday, hoping for some cooler weather...

I might even take the wife out for lunch tomorrow.................

A days rain wouldn't go amiss either !

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
tigger.....I cannot recall any ' proper ' rain in the last three weeks. Maybe an odd shower or two but nothing that has come close to filling the five linked water butts in the back garden ( the measure I use as guide to monitor rain fall ). A good days rain will fill half them............
Out yesterday walking locally ( south Bucks - that's Marlow / Henley area ) and all the hills and valleys looking parched, with only the fields of corn offering any colour, and even this wilting to some extent.
The last roach I caught, even up at a 1lb or so, came in like wet sacks - not what I want from nice looking fish.......
No, I shall be happy to see August gone with September hopefully offering more of the wet stuff followed by a good run into early winter, and hard fighting roach !!

I suppose I could move north.......................................................nah !!

greenie62

Reaction score
.....I cannot recall any ' proper ' rain in the last three weeks.....

Having been soaked on my last couple of sessions - I can verify Tigger's assertions about the rain up here!

The most annoying aspects of these downpours was the very localised / patchy aspects of these - I was fishing on the next hilltops across from home - where it was fine and stayed dry - until I came home! - where I was fishing we had heavy showers - the sort that you've just about resigned yourself to getting the brolly from the car - which stops as soon as you've retrieved your tackle and stood-up - then re-starts as soon as you've sat down again!:eek::eek:mg:

Local river levels have been up and down like a (w)hore's drawers - and a bit mucky too - with the intermittent flushes! It'll be fine when it settles down - honest!

Still waiting for summer to arrive up here - it's currently more like May weather - the only thing that thinks it's summer is the lawn grass!:eek:

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Down here in southern Wiltshire we are on chalk so it takes a long time for th surface rain to seep through and into the springs . . . . . .

It has rained a few times here over the last couple of weeks, but very localised, for example, my local pub' is just over 4 miles from my home and I have often left here in the rain and on getting to the pub' only to find the ground perfectly dry as it hasn't rained there at all.

Those sort of localised showers do next to nothing to the river levels, and the river opposite to my home is looking rather sluggish right now, so we could do with a really good, and lengthy, downpour.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The upper Stour was up about 8" (a proper flood is 8ft up) a couple of weeks ago (fished for bream when it had flow and colour but just more roach and a nice river tench) but soon dropped to summer level. With the warmth and time of year the roach are responding well to hemp and tares and I hope to get in a couple of sessions this week plus teaching Swizzle some basic trotting skills at the end of the week. If it's hot I may take a brolly and enjoy the shade.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Walked the river yesterday looking for Mullet, spotted one or two a good size as well. The river level was good but very greenish. Some blokes wer fishing a match, they come down once a year, nothing but small roach on the pole, bloody great long things, always fascinates me. One bloke had a whole sackful of ground bait, I mean a big sack; 4ft round and 6ft high, serious stuff. One had a mullet on maggot but he told me it didn't count in the match!.
Bit hot for good fishing conditions but the mullet, gong to try and get a fly to them sometime soon. A mullet on the fly will make me an angler proper..

By the by, a Lancaster, spitfire and hurricane flew right over my head, an air show nearby, stirring stuff, we were the b-s back then, no doubt.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
By the by, a Lancaster, spitfire and hurricane flew right over my head, an air show nearby, stirring stuff, we were the b-s back then, no doubt.

Bournemouth air show later this week so Swizzle and I may get to see the Battle of Britain flight coming up the river.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Bournemouth air show later this week so Swizzle and I may get to see the Battle of Britain flight coming up the river.
Take it in Mark if you can, gives you the right old goose bumps. The sound of those Rolls Royce Merlin engines as well; something else.

(apologies for off topic)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Take it in Mark if you can, gives you the right old goose bumps. The sound of those Rolls Royce Merlin engines as well; something else.

(apologies for off topic)

About three years ago I was on Throop during the air show and had the Lancaster coming right over and following the river at not much over 1000ft as part of their circuit that includes just off the beach. with the ground shaking it is a sight and sound to behold.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
About three years ago I was on Throop during the air show and had the Lancaster coming right over and following the river at not much over 1000ft as part of their circuit that includes just off the beach. with the ground shaking it is a sight and sound to behold.

I was attempting to fly fish the Wey a few years ago and the Vulcan Bomber came over at very low level approaching Farnborough. The ground literally shook and the river "bubbled" with the vibration.

A few years ago a local resident of Farnborough formally complained in the local press and social media that his greenhouse had "exploded" during the bi-annual Air Show. I don't think he got any support whatsoever but had pages and pages of brilliant responses which went viral (at least in the local media).

:):)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I was enjoying a family picnic riverside at Henley on Thames a few weeks back. Boats chugging up & down,old boys strolling along in tweed jackets & panamas, cricket in the background, kids laughing, bees buzzing etc.

Out of nowhere a Spitfire appears, Merlin purring as only a Merlin can, and buzzes us 3 times at not more than 200 feet before waggling his wings and disappearing. I've no idea where he came from or where he was going. Even "Beloved Daughter" was impressed.

How much more English does a summer's day get ?