People...

dann

Reaction score
Some might call me a bit slow but I am starting to realise that I should live on a deserted island. That or people just don't know how to conduct themselves in a public place.

I had an early start on the river on Saturday which is quite unusual for me but I was up and at the river before 7. I packed light and planned to fish 3 or 4 pegs and be home by lunchtime to take the kids somewhere.

All was going well, it was a lovely morning and I started catching well straight away. I settled into my coffee thinking it doesn't get much better than this.....and then the people starting showing up.

This isn't unusual as it is a beautiful stretch of river and the Thames path attracts a few walkers, dog walkers, families out for a picnics etc. There is also a bit of boat traffic, this is known and I have no issue with it I just fish close to the bank.

With the above in mind, how do some of the people you see at place like this get themselves out of bed in the morning and tie their own shoelaces! A small snippet of the people I came across:

The posh old lady walking her dog - Dog comes over and tries to eat the contents of my bag. She turns up about 5 minutes behind and tells me that he'll eat my sandwiches if I am not careful. My suggestion that if he cant behave and she cant control him then perhaps he should be on a lead was ignored and off she went. Presumably to see if the butler has stocked the champagne fridge or something equally important :eek:mg:

The weekend warrior boater - Wearing a sailors hat with wife and kids on the front of his big white ego chariot, far too close to the bank and going far too fast for the thames. The smuggest grin you will ever see and a face that wants punching :rolleyes:

The know-it-all - Stomping down the bank doing his impression of a 1 man brass marching band before asking at 38 thousand decibels about what I have caught before telling me that he used to do a bit of "the old fishing" but he hasn't got the time now. He doesn't spot the irony that he had a camera around his neck and was holding a handbag dog on a piece of string. Of course he hasn't got time, he is too busy carrying his dog over puddles and taking another photo of it :p

Then my personal favourite, the young couple with absolutely no control over their terrorist toddler. I want to swim where that man is fishing, yes sure darling whatever pleases you. I want a turn at the fishing - the dad looked at me and I presume was working out if he would get away with it. The look on my face gave him a pretty good idea that he had more chance of a swim in the Thames than him or his daughter getting anywhere near me or my kit.

I decided that it was enough for one morning and I should head home before it gets any worse and I lose my cool when I spot 3 rowing boats came past with young lads in each. I think it was a stag do but they had music blaring, were dressed in speedos and sailors hats and were on the beer. One lad stands up and proceeds to pee off the boat while his mates screamed and rocked the boat.

Think I'll give Saturday mornings a pass for a while until the good weather passes and these people crawl back under whatever rock they live under. Also, I must remember to buy a lotto ticket so I can buy that island :D

mikench

Reaction score
That makes me even less likely to fish any waters where chavs, walkers and idiots abound. I will stick with the isolated lakes and ponds where there is hardly anything about! The trouble is that includes fish:rolleyes:

B

binka

Hang on in there Dann, it's all part of the circus :)

Roll on winter when the only other people you see are anglers.

Although I hope it doesn't come around too quick... ;)

john step

Reaction score
Your people are probably the same people who walk 2 or 3 abreast down the pavement oblivious to me and seem to expect me to step aside so they can pass unhindered.

They do seem surprised when I stop, stand my ground, tense up and one of them bounces off........he he:D

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Your people are probably the same people who walk 2 or 3 abreast down the pavement oblivious to me and seem to expect me to step aside so they can pass unhindered.

They do seem surprised when I stop, stand my ground, tense up and one of them bounces off........he he:D

Tut Tut Tut ..

Good fun is it not :wh , It's even more fun on crutches when they wont move a quick swing of one crutch is rather effective what :D

PG ...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
dann, I seem to attract idiots like you describe and they have caused me to get into trouble with the law on numerous occasions!

peterjg

Reaction score
Dann - brilliant post, spot on. No wonder I am so bloody unsociable. These morons should not be allowed to breed.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Most of the dog-shriekers are, at heart, decent but unimaginative sorts, and it occurs to me that they might be a sight less trouble to their pets and to Joe Public if each open space had a dedicated (and enclosed) "Off-lead" area; it would obviate the need for common sense (now so rare as to be endangered) to tell them when to clip dear Baskerville up.

Possibly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
and it occurs to me that they might be a sight less trouble to their pets and to Joe Public if each open space had a dedicated (and enclosed) "Off-lead" area;

I would not be in favour of such an idea.

Far better for dog owners to teach their dogs obedience, or not be allowed to keep one.

Mine were always perfectly trained and kept to heel off the lead unless sent "away" in uncrowded areas.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Spot on Peter, I have never had a dog that didn't know its place, problem with some owners is that they treat them as children although perhaps their children are just as unruly.

Many years ago I used to teach evening classes in dog obedience, and used to trial my Setters.

Some of the stories I could relate you simply wouldn't believe . . . . on both some dogs, some owners and indeed some of the owner's offspring . . . .

A friend of mine, Charles, back in those days was a Police Dog Handler and he was often called out in cases of rogue dogs or uncontrollable dogs.

He tells the story of one evening being called to a very "des-res" in Cobham, Surrey, after the owners calls concerning an out of control dog.

On arrival at the address he put on his armour sleeve and rang the bell.
He was greeted by a posh lass who told him that their dog was in their bedroom and was growling at them.
Furthermore, her hubby had to get his sleep as he was flying a 747 to Boston early the next morning.

Charles steadied himself and entered the bedroom . . . . to find a flaming miniature Poodle sat on the bed showing its teeth.

One swift sweep of his un-sleeved arm solved the problem, and he said he had to just leave or run the risk of being very rude indeed to the couple . . . .

For weeks after at his station he was subjected to all sorts of ribbing about tiny doggies . . . . . and a bit form me too

True Story!

theartist

Reaction score
I've fished the last two weekends in busy parks and had almost identical incidents except I had a joke with the lady who said her dog will eat my lunch as my food was well packed away and she was just making small talk. You normally get at least one say that each time.

My gear is always to hand and the only thing i'm wary about is a dog cocking it's leg on it. Had a dog jump right in the water but the owner was apologetic and I had already had a good day, would have be annoying were it at the beginning but the fish are used to it so wouldn't have been an issue to worry about.

Also had two families, curious about the fishing and both times I tried to be educational and the second one wanted a go so I let him as the family were friendly and it could be a newcomer to the sport. Told them to visit their local tackle shop/fishing club for more help getting started.

I'm on a pet forum and the issue with out of control dogs is more of a concern to responsible dog owners than it is to us. We anglers get tarnished by the poor actions of the idiot minority so lets not do the same to dog walkers.

Sorry to disagree with most of this thread but being a grumpy angler in a shared public environment doesn't do any of us any favours at all.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

That my approach as well and let's just say I'm no slim Jim

rayner

Reaction score
Some might call me a bit slow but I am starting to realise that I should live on a deserted island. That or people just don't know how to conduct themselves in a public place.

I had an early start on the river on Saturday which is quite unusual for me but I was up and at the river before 7. I packed light and planned to fish 3 or 4 pegs and be home by lunchtime to take the kids somewhere.

All was going well, it was a lovely morning and I started catching well straight away. I settled into my coffee thinking it doesn't get much better than this.....and then the people starting showing up.

This isn't unusual as it is a beautiful stretch of river and the Thames path attracts a few walkers, dog walkers, families out for a picnics etc. There is also a bit of boat traffic, this is known and I have no issue with it I just fish close to the bank.

With the above in mind, how do some of the people you see at place like this get themselves out of bed in the morning and tie their own shoelaces! A small snippet of the people I came across:

The posh old lady walking her dog - Dog comes over and tries to eat the contents of my bag. She turns up about 5 minutes behind and tells me that he'll eat my sandwiches if I am not careful. My suggestion that if he cant behave and she cant control him then perhaps he should be on a lead was ignored and off she went. Presumably to see if the butler has stocked the champagne fridge or something equally important :eek:mg:

The weekend warrior boater - Wearing a sailors hat with wife and kids on the front of his big white ego chariot, far too close to the bank and going far too fast for the thames. The smuggest grin you will ever see and a face that wants punching :rolleyes:

The know-it-all - Stomping down the bank doing his impression of a 1 man brass marching band before asking at 38 thousand decibels about what I have caught before telling me that he used to do a bit of "the old fishing" but he hasn't got the time now. He doesn't spot the irony that he had a camera around his neck and was holding a handbag dog on a piece of string. Of course he hasn't got time, he is too busy carrying his dog over puddles and taking another photo of it :p

Then my personal favourite, the young couple with absolutely no control over their terrorist toddler. I want to swim where that man is fishing, yes sure darling whatever pleases you. I want a turn at the fishing - the dad looked at me and I presume was working out if he would get away with it. The look on my face gave him a pretty good idea that he had more chance of a swim in the Thames than him or his daughter getting anywhere near me or my kit.

I decided that it was enough for one morning and I should head home before it gets any worse and I lose my cool when I spot 3 rowing boats came past with young lads in each. I think it was a stag do but they had music blaring, were dressed in speedos and sailors hats and were on the beer. One lad stands up and proceeds to pee off the boat while his mates screamed and rocked the boat.

Think I'll give Saturday mornings a pass for a while until the good weather passes and these people crawl back under whatever rock they live under. Also, I must remember to buy a lotto ticket so I can buy that island :D

Be very careful Dann you are sounding a little like me.
I get pilchards every day I fish, you have my sympathy but unless we make a stand this unbearable behaviour will never end.
You never have a gun when you need one.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Mmm, I'm pretty familiar with all of the scenarios you mention here dann, I fish the thames in Abingdon just a bit upstream (I think!) of you...

However, I'd echo the thoughts of theartist here... if I'm going to brave the crowds and go out somewhere public and crowded, then i'll do my damnedest to be a good ambassador rather than a "grumpy fisherman"... I'm lucky in so much as my town council is supportive towards fishing, it's free throughout the town for town residents and I'd rather people got a good impression of angling than a poor one.

Though one incident did stick out recently. I was on the river on the town stretch, fishing on the river path. I heard a little noise behind me and realised that a Labrador had stuck his nose in my groundbait bucket. Now, I was fishing a fairly shallow swim with a really dry fluffy mix, so this dog had basically inhaled a nose full and then stuck his tongue in it. Which rather surprised him, as he started sneezing uncontrollably. His owner was very apologetic, and I was happy to accept that apology. However, I did have to chuckle when I could still hear the dog a few hundred yards down the bank, sneezing every 30 seconds or so!

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Far better for dog owners to teach their dogs obedience, or not be allowed to keep one.

Mine were always perfectly trained and kept to heel off the lead unless sent "away" in uncrowded areas.

Well, yes, bring back the dog licence, make it available only after passing an examination , and make third party insurance compulsory, too, by all means - but it might not win too many votes.
It'd get mine, though.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Confrontations between anglers and other river users can be acrimonious but also quite amusing. I recall fishing a match on the Trent at Barton Island when a ladies rowing eight stopped in the peg below me for a team talk, one rods length out from the bank. The angler in the peg went mental and berated them severely. One of the crew then pointed out to him that they had as much right to be on the river as he and that rowing was a very healthy, rewarding and character building sport. His reply went like this: "Of course it is, you finish up with muscles like Rambo, a brain like Dumbo and T*ts like a cow". Wished I'd thought of that. Pete.

Last edited:

qtaran111

Reaction score
Ahhh the pleasures of fishing the Thames :)

I fish the Thames a lot in season and it's an awesome river but the **** you have to put up is sometimes astounding.

For me, dog walkers are the worst. I don't blame the dogs cos let's face it, when fishing I'm surrounded by smelly interesting stuff. It's when the dog runs over and you hear the owner's pathetic, weedy voice "Fido, come here, don't be a bad boy. Oh I'm sorry, he's terrible, he can smell your maggots...etc"

Yes, of course, he's a dog, he's got a nose 40 times the sensitivity of yours and no filter between nose, brain and stomach. So how about you learn to control the thing in public.

And I've still got a dog paw print on the inside of my rod holdall.

john step

Reaction score
Ahhh the pleasures of fishing the Thames :)

I fish the Thames a lot in season and it's an awesome river but the **** you have to put up is sometimes astounding.

For me, dog walkers are the worst. I don't blame the dogs cos let's face it, when fishing I'm surrounded by smelly interesting stuff. It's when the dog runs over and you hear the owner's pathetic, weedy voice "Fido, come here, don't be a bad boy. Oh I'm sorry, he's terrible, he can smell your maggots...etc"

Yes, of course, he's a dog, he's got a nose 40 times the sensitivity of yours and no filter between nose, brain and stomach. So how about you learn to control the thing in public.

And I've still got a dog paw print on the inside of my rod holdall.

I wonder the reaction to......" Oh dear how awful. Fido has just gulped down my bait. I hope the hook that was in it goes straight through with no harm done":D:D:D