Barrow needed

steve2

Reaction score
After trying to carry my tackle uphill to the lake yesterday, I forgot how steep it was, I have decided I need a barrow for my winter pike fishing. My trolleys not up to the job.
Nothing expensive must fold down to fit into the back of a Ford Focus with all my other tackle. Any suggestions price range up to £100

terry m

Reaction score
Steve

Apologies for stating the obvious, but pushing a barrow up (and down) steep inclines is a challenge in itself.

I have a Prestige Engineering Fat Boy barrow, great barrow ~£150, but would not consider using it in steep inclines.

steve2

Reaction score
I am sure incline up to this lake as got steeper this year.
Most of my winter pike fishing is done on other waters with easier access. I have a day shelter and a bigger chair to carry this year on my pike trips.

john step

Reaction score
Prestige are good solidly built and are balanced correctly when loaded.
It is made in England and spares are easy if needed.
In fact spare twisty knobs are included in the package.
Comes with bungees.

I have a Mk2 which takes 60 secs to dismantle to a flat state and fits in my small Skoda.

They feel heavy when not assembled but light as a feather when put together.
I was advised by an angler recently, not to bother with the puncture proof tyre variant as there is not enough pressure in it for rough ground.

I bought a NGT barrow bag which takes everything for a days fishing and more and the rod bag sits on top. Easy to unpack at the waterside and in fact move swims with.
Hope that helps..

PS Just had a look on their website and they have 2 ex show models for the £80 mark.

Last edited:

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
The Portelite 2 is ideal for day trips piking. Until I bought a new bigger barrow this year I used my Portelite for session carping.
It did take two trips though. As far as punctures go, B&Q sell a solid tyre barrow wheel,in green for £20.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Avoid anything with 2 wheels at the front.

I bought a barrow with twin front wheels thinking it would be more stable, it wasn't. Luckily it came with the bits to convert it to single wheel.

You need to take great care going up steep slopes. My barrow hit a bump on a dam slope of an irrigation reservoir, the barrow slewed round and then tipped over. I still can't believe how much damage was done, three Freespirit rods and a set of Optilabs finest sunglasses don't come cheap, ouch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk