Boilie making question

tom_moran

Reaction score
I'd like to make some boilies for carp and tench. Now I've never made them and tbh don't want to buy loads of kit to do it, I'm happy to do do the work 'by hand'.

The issue I have is most boilie recipes I've seen have loads of ingredients, some of which I've never even heard of.

I'd like to make a chilli hemp Boilie for the first go and was thinking about using the following ingredients:

30% ground Birdseed
40% baileys no 1 horsefeed
30% ground hemp
Chilli powder
Sea salt
Eggs 4 per kg

Can anyone see why the above won't work as a mix?

thecrow

Reaction score
Not knowing what the horsefeed contains makes it a little difficult to say, boilies need a binder of some kind could be semolina or maize flour but without one they will crumble whaen you roll them.

Just googled it and it says micronized wheat so none the wiser. Looks flaked so I don't think it would be a good binder.

Last edited:

tom_moran

Reaction score
Tbh I'm not sure what makes a good binder, I know this stuff works well for making paste to fish with and you have to be very careful not to over wet it as groundbait or it goes really stodgy. I may make a 1 egg mix and see how it goes.

Happy to have some simple recipes thrown my way, just nothing with fishmeal as I want to avoid crays

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Cray's will eat anything,even plastic corn. Although I have recently read that Nutrabaits techni spice shelf life boiles aren't a favourite.

laguna

Reaction score
Tbh I'm not sure what makes a good binder, I know this stuff works well for making paste to fish with and you have to be very careful not to over wet it as groundbait or it goes really stodgy. I may make a 1 egg mix and see how it goes.

Happy to have some simple recipes thrown my way, just nothing with fishmeal as I want to avoid crays
If it attracts crays you can be certain it will attract fish.

Fishmeal is very underrated. I'm talking pure crab, squid, krill, GLM, Shrimp etc. not minced up bi-catch or waste... the real stuff that even the majority of pellets don't contain.

Try this one egg mix
20g maize meal
20g soya flour
40g semolina (this is your binder)
15g pure fish meal
5ml oil (cod liver oil or just use cooking oil)
1 beaten medium sized egg.

Roll n boil for 60 seconds, air dry and go fishing!

You can add all sorts but keep it simple and you will catch. The above works everywhere and because it contains no synthetic flavours it will continue to work. Have a look on our website if you need supplies of pure fishmeal.

Last edited:

tom_moran

Reaction score
I'll give that a go laguna thanks. I'm going to play around with what I have to hand( I've got 18kg of baileys about 5kg of Birdseed and loads of hemp) and see how It goes, if it goes wrong I won't have wasted any money.

I don't actually plan on rolling the boilies unless I want to make lots of them as I don't want them to be uniform in size or shape, I'll make them as random as possible. Carp arnt stupid and I'm sure they swim around looking at the perfectly round balls laughing

laguna

Reaction score
I'll give that a go laguna thanks. I'm going to play around with what I have to hand( I've got 18kg of baileys about 5kg of Birdseed and loads of hemp) and see how It goes, if it goes wrong I won't have wasted any money.

I don't actually plan on rolling the boilies unless I want to make lots of them as I don't want them to be uniform in size or shape, I'll make them as random as possible. Carp arnt stupid and I'm sure they swim around looking at the perfectly round balls laughing

Yes mate, more get caught on round shaped boilies than any other shape.... simply because they are more popular. Yet nobody seems to care that pellets are all the same shape and continue to catch? I don't think the fish mind all that much about shape.

I mostly use chops and do okay. Come to think of it, I don't use boilies either... I just air dry my paste without actually boiling! :D

tom_moran

Reaction score
Yep, that's the plan, air dry and I might even make a few small batches without egg and see how they go. I know the smaller younger carp will get caught on anything but I'm fishing a particularly difficult water with quite old wiley fish in it.

I'm sure it will all be a waste of time but I gotta try these things

tom_moran

Reaction score
So I made my first ever batch of boilies. They have come out well.

Here's the recipe i made up ?

100grams baileys no1 horsefeed
125grams semolina
75grams ground Birdseed
25grams ground nigerseed
5ml hemp oil
1 sachet of miso soup paste
5ml hemp sac juice
5ml tigernut sac juice
10grams mineral salt
5grams green lipped mussel sac powder
5grams soy protein powder
2 teaspoons hot xhillipowder
3 medium eggs

This is how they turned out after I dusted them with salt, mussel and protein sac powders:
03d96355354b8b21979c77c469d2d6a1.jpg

51977322829be4b50644885796cfcf38.jpg

Kept some paste to wrap hookbaits in too
7aa60d8f14013c6751685581a59fa4fa.jpg

Can't wait to blank on them tomorrow!!

laguna

Reaction score
Blank? only if there's no fish there Tom, veritably delicious! :w

Interesting use of the soup!
How did it roll? I like the misshaped baits and the textures and contrasting colours look very good too. If thats your first attempt? its bloody good mate.

Tightest of lines!

tom_moran

Reaction score
Blank? only if there's no fish there Tom, veritably delicious! :w

Interesting use of the soup!
How did it roll? I like the misshaped baits and the textures and contrasting colours look very good too. If thats your first attempt? its bloody good mate.

Tightest of lines!

I hope so! Im really pleased with the results so far.

The soup had lots of things carp search for in food in it. (I've petty much spent the last 3 weeks researching carp dietary requirements and feeding stimuli)

It's all hand rolled and I wanted the smaller odd ones and larger round ones for different venues.

Yes my very first attempt at boilies, make in rapid time while the mrs was in the shower

tom_moran

Reaction score
Will do crow. I'm taking the mrs fishing tomorrow so will out them to use there.

One question if I may, would you fridge them overnight or leave them out to harden considering I'm using them tomorrow? There are lots of crays where we're going

laguna

Reaction score
Will do crow. I'm taking the mrs fishing tomorrow so will out them to use there.

One question if I may, would you fridge them overnight or leave them out to harden considering I'm using them tomorrow? There are lots of crays where we're going

You've probably gone fishing now, but its best to leave them out for as long as you can (dare) as it helps them mature a bit. Ive never been a lover of fresh and prefer (as do my fish) a well matured, slightly wiffy bait. ;)

Good luck.

Ps. did you add eggs to the paste? I reckon you might do better if you leave the eggs out. (Trypsin inhibitors)

tom_moran

Reaction score
Cool, I did leave them out all night in the end. The ones for next week I've frozen.

Yes I did use eggs, mainly because I was worried about the protein levels in them. What would you use instead of eggs?

laguna

Reaction score
Cool, I did leave them out all night in the end. The ones for next week I've frozen.

Yes I did use eggs, mainly because I was worried about the protein levels in them. What would you use instead of eggs?

PONDBOND (water glue) or gluten powder. If you use Gluten you just need to add a bit more liquid so you get the paste how you want it. Personally I like a stiff mix but a lot of match anglers have it drippin! :D

tom_moran

Reaction score
I'll look into that for sure.

Today was not a definitive test, didn't see a carp all day or even a tench but it was very clear and bright so not surprising. I dropped a Boilie and some paste into the margins to see what the breakdown would be like. Paste took about 45 mins to 'flop' and the Boilie got carried off by a Cray after about 20 mins lol.

Im 'proper carping' for 48 hours next week so will see how they get on then. Might have these on one rod and some shop bought ones on another as a comparison

Last edited:

tom_moran

Reaction score
So next recipie is going to be bird seed, elderberry, hemp and nut. I'll probably make up 2kgs of it