Invasive Himalayan Balsam eradication program [update] and Japanese knotweed

laguna

Reaction score
Latest on rust fungus to tackle the problem. It looks like it will be rolled out Nationwide next year after partial trial successes.

https://himalayanbalsam.cabi.org/release-update/

I'm also reading up on another 'potential' solution using sap-sucking insects - in secret south Wales spots for the Japanese knotweed... Japanese knotweed tackled with insects in secret south Wales spots - BBC News

Apparently; "5 years of extensive research, board meetings, discussion panels etc before the authorities were satisfied that all the conditions were met and the Psylliids were safe to release.
The research included lab tests of keeping the species on every UK plant family, followed by every UK member of the Knotweed family to establish whether the psocid eats native plants. It doesn't.

they don't kill the knotweed but they do supress its growth, making it is easier to control.

It's interesting to note that there were far tighter biosecurity surrounding the introduction of this species than there are in controlling imports to our shores of live plants, timber and soil (where most of our harmful invasive invertebrates come from)."

Fingers crossed eh?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolutely !
I don't see Japanese knotweed anywhere near me, but maybe it's harder to spot compared to the Himalayan balsam. I do however, see the latter all over the place even in woodland areas miles from anywhere and seemingly seems to be getting worse....
Initially small areas in one or two spots now looks to have spread until it rivals stinging nettles in many places....
In some ways it is not an unattractive looking plant with masses of pink flowers, but it needs to be gone, or at least controlled !

Always a concern when they introduce something to control an existing problem, though....

ps As a matter of interest laguna ; When they do roll out the rust fungus, just how will they do that ' nationwide ' ??

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
ps As a matter of interest laguna ; When they do roll out the rust fungus, just how will they do that ' nationwide ' ??
According to my source and the link provided, its already in the wild Tony and appears to 'infect' neighbouring target plants and is spreading albeit more slowly than anticipated. It just needs a little more push and a little more (ongoing) cash to have more effect Nationwide...
The CABI team have trained local collaborators in Cornwall, West and North Yorkshire and Northumberland to monitor and complete record sheets. The releases and monitoring of the rust will continue in 2016-17 in Wales, where the best infection was observed, and in Berkshire and Middlesex in order to study factors affecting infection.
We anticipate that a full country-wide release programme will resume in 2017, once the host-pathogen system in field conditions in the UK is better understood, and release strategies refined.
The majority of the funding for the 2015 releases was provided by Defra, Natural England and the Welsh Government. In addition, North West Kent and Medway Valley Countryside Partnerships have funded the Kent release, and a consortium of donors has contributed to the releases in West Yorkshire (Environment Agency, Yorkshire Water, Wakefield Council, Calder and Colne Rivers Trust).
We would like to thank all collaborators involved with the field releases this year for their support and careful monitoring of the rust in the field. We hope that this will continue in future years and lead to successful management of this noxious weed."

mikench

Reaction score
I do hope so! I am always wary of bio remedies and man interfering in nature- that is why we have both! So long as the cure is better than the problem... Think cane toads:(

laguna

Reaction score
Look at the state of this :(

Balsam.jpg

Each plant may produce up to 800 seeds which can be 'ejected' up to 7 metres from the parent. The seeds float in water and are dispersed over large distances by streams and rivers. Seeds germinate from February onward and grow rapidly. Flowering occurs from July to October, with seeds produced from mid-July onward.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Horrible stuff

Fished the Stour at Stourton ( old stewpony) yesterday and it was thick with the stuff also Bamboo seems to be becoming a problem in some places now .

PG ...

rayner

Reaction score
There's a small stream a few miles from my home that has a very large patch of Himalayan balsam, it dies off every winter and there is no sign of it at all.
Worms love the area, it's a very easy place to dig and collect worms.
I suppose it's the dead plants compost that attracts them I don't know but every fork turned over I can get between 10 to 30 worms. They are lob size worms that have a grey head.
When the pods are ready to pop they explode as I dig. There's no wonder it spreads so easily.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think that anglers help spread the balsam as the seeds lodge in bait bags, rod holdalls etc. I've noticed it spread to wild parts of the Dorset Stour, Frome and Piddle. The bumblebees love it though.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... The bumblebees love it though.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it was shown that the proliferation of Himalayan Balsam had helped to save the bumblebee - only to wipe out all the Balsam as a pest! - and then a few years later ........? :eek:mg:

laguna

Reaction score
Yep the bees love it, but then if there wasn't so much balsom weed around the naturally occurring, indigenous—native plant life flora would return which the bees also like.
Its been confirmed that the neonics are largely responsible for the declining bee populations and other pollinators. These pesticides are thankfully now banned in parts of Europe (for the time being) but it may take many years yet for the bee populations to recover fully.

greenie62

Reaction score
... if there wasn't so much balsom weed around the naturally occurring, indigenous—native plant life flora would return .....

Unfortunately - it wouldn't just be indigenous flora - but Giant Hogweed as well! Have you noticed that where you get HB - you only get GH at the edges!:eek:
It almost seems that, on the banksides, the HB has outcompeted for the sites - to the exclusion of GH which has only managed to get a few toeholds. Where the HB has been 'balsam-bashed' we have GH florettes appearing very quickly.
Similarly we don't seem to get Japanese Knotweed where we have HB.

I wonder if we've really thought this one all the way through. If we could use HB to colonise areas to prevent GH and/or JK incursion - it might still give us a problem - but it appears to be less detrimental in that it would be easier to deal with:eek: