Line ruined.

yorkieman

Reaction score
Went out on my fourth fishing trip on Tuesday and within a couple of hours went through 5 hooks. This was after I had bites, and not been very good with the rod and clutch lost them.
So on the next bite I started to take notice a little more and eased the clutch off and wow I had a 5lb mirror carp in the net...first decent fish.

After the very big "HIGH" things went downhil, in fact ruined my day.
After landing this fish my main line went into like curly and not straight anymore therefore trying to tie knots was impossible.
The line seem to have a life of its own jumping of the spool and wrapping itself around the reel handle etc.
What went wrong ?

Is this line now useless ?
Do I need better quality line ?

The main line is 100m - 8lb 'Drennan Extra Srong Fast Sink' and 4 weeks old (£3 99)
The hook was size 12 to 4lb line.

Maybe I need something better ?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

tom_moran

Reaction score
It sounds like the line has twisted being put onto the spool.

greenie62

Reaction score
...The line seem to have a life of its own jumping of the spool and wrapping itself around the reel handle etc.
What went wrong ?...

I agree with Tom - sounds like you should have had the line spool t'other way up - as you wound it on - it sounds as if it has transferred the twist from spooling onto reel.

If you've got an empty large garden or field to hand - pay out the line - walk backwards - so the grass 'combs' the curls out - then rewind onto the reel.
Try a few practice casts - should be OK now - if not - remove weight and repeat 'combing' - should be fine now!

yorkieman

Reaction score
Never any problem until I caught that fish.
Just taken a yard off reel for examination. Its very springy and curly, looks like I've stretched it being a little rough due to lack of experience ?

Started with 100m so maybe I'll take of 50-60ft off then should in theory be back to new line.

greenie62

Reaction score
The tension of the twisted line when playing the fish has 'set' the twist with the resulting problems. Removing the first 10-20 yds won't resolve the problem - just move it - and leave you with a new twisted section to repeat the problem with!:eek::eek:mg:
You need to remove the twist as previously described else it's waiting for you further down the reel! :eek:

The problems with twist seem to be more pronounced with 'superstrong' lines - particularly with co-polymer lines - if you've ever had a 'pinged' fly leader you'll recognise the problem with co-polymer 'crinkle twist'! :eek:mg:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Did you by any chance continue to wind the handle when the clutch was slipping? That's the no.1 quick way to knacker a line that was ok being cast out and retrieved under no load.

B

binka

Did you by any chance continue to wind the handle when the clutch was slipping? That's the no.1 quick way to knacker a line that was ok being cast out and retrieved under no load.

My thoughts entirely.

john step

Reaction score
The above replies are spot on.

Try a standard line. The fish won 't mind. Those extra strong lines are not extra strong. They are just thinner!!
There are SENSOR haters on here but until you get the hang of it, at about £9 for thousands of yards of line, you can afford to change it.

When you spool up watch which way round your bail arm goes and lay the spool down so it comes off the same way.

As previously stated...with clutch slipping....one handle turn equals on kink...never do it.

I recently bought a SPIN DOCTOR device as recommended on on FM. I had never heard of them but they can reverse twists. Best to avoid it first though.

PS, as they say other makes are available

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sounds like an overfilled spool plus line twist to me. Some lines are simply more prone to twist than others but its well worth having a Spin Doctor tucked away somewhere.

I'm spooking off the Sensor comment. That bait is blown.

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree about these extra thin lines I find them very unforgiving, stick to Bayer and Maxima and your troubles may disappear mate

yorkieman

Reaction score
Strange that's the third time Maxima line as been mentioned by my friends and on here.
Will give this a go.

Thanks again.

yorkieman

Reaction score
After a long chat with some lads down the pub it seems to be "reeling - in" as the clutch was sllpping that caused the problem...as said on this forum.
Trying to do too many things at once and the excitment maybe got the better of me.

We live and learn ?

Thanks again for all your replies.

kenpm

Reaction score
The easy way to tell if it is line twist in future is to hold one end of the line as you pull a yard or a metre or a bit more and hold it straight out across your body at arms length with the other end in the other hand.
Gradually bring your hands together and if the line tries to twizzle itself into a mess it is twisted.
Follow the advice above to remove it and if it was not too severe the line should be OK for re-use once you remove the twist.