Autumn is on its way

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
My most favourite time of the year, this is when I really begin to get fired up. Hopefully the sweltering days are behind us, and both man and beast become more active.

There is a sweetness about Autumn it seems to me, cleaner air, and the wonderful colours of the countryside. Wasn't it ''Keats'' who wrote,''Autumn, season of mellow fruitfulness'', and he was right. I'm sure it will be for us anglers. I hope you share my love for this time of year, it certainly has magic.

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree probably the best time to be out and about on the river bank.
Soon be grayling fishing again.

mikench

Reaction score
It feels like it up here; wet and windy! Doubt I will wet a line today!

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
By far the best season for the angler, its my favourite season. No more looking into a river and being able to see every stone no more sweating it out in sun that you know is to bright and warm to be fishing in.

Fish know its Autumn and that winters next as do other none fishy creatures, its their chance to stock up for hard times ahead, its also a chance for those sweaty sessions to be forgotten and optimism to be renewed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That quote was most definitely John Keats¹

The Autumn is my favourite time of the year, the earlier dusk leads to much better roach fishing, and even if the fish are not coming out to play, then the sights, the sounds and the smells of the autumn are a good enough reason to be out on the river anyway.

¹ Sadly Keats died when in Rome and he is buried there. I've seen his grave and it (under)states quite simply, "A Young English Poet"

mikench

Reaction score
I like Keats but I also like Paul Verlaine a French poet. Here is one of his best, most celebrated and my favourite; you can enjoy the sheer poetry of the words even if you do not speak French!

Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon cœur
D'une langueur
Monotone.
Tout suffocant
Et blême, quand
Sonne l'heure,
Je me souviens
Des jours anciens
Et je pleure;
Et je m'en vais
Au vent mauvais
Qui m'emporte
Deçà, delà,
Pareil à la
Feuille morte.

Thought for the day;)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
..... That is the downside:(. Mind you I will have an interesting Christmas present list for Santa, with tackle to the fore!

greenie62

Reaction score
Last week - I commented, on another weather thread on FM, that up here it still felt like May. Now we're told that next week it's Autumn. :eek:

That means we're currently enjoying Summer - 2 Days of blistering Sun then High winds and rain - about normal there then!:eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
There is a particular water I like to fish for perch in Autumn. There are other good fish in it but I'll be blowed if I can stand the biting horse flies that are in epidemic numbers until the cooler weather.

Perch challenge again this winter???

barbelboi

Reaction score
Being mostly on running water my favorite time of year is Autumn 'til the close season - looking forward to geting a bit of colour and flow in the gin clear, slow moving rivers....................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thing is it will soon be Christmas and winter

In'it...ffs lifes to short to keep wanting the seasons to pass!
Spring and summer are my favourite times of year for fishing...no big jackets, knumb fingers, frozen line in the guides etc etc.

Autum is nice but the colder months are too close behind for my liking, plus all those bartseward leaves floating downstream cockin' me grayling fishing up...oh, and who gives a monkeys about poncy poets :w :D.

Jeezus...we'll all be ballet dancing down the river banks next LOL.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
If history is anything to go by, winter will arrive on the Lower Itchen Fishing Magic Fish In day!

One of the biggest advantages of Autumn is the fact you can get a couple of hours into dark and still get to the pub for a pint.

B

binka

I like Autumn but with the slight apprehension that it directly precedes winter.

Very much a time for fish going on the rampage to fatten up, one thing that really lights my fire (if you will excuse the pun) is when I'm anywhere near occupied boats and they have their solid fuel burners going.

A real old fashioned and homely smell which drifts me away to my childhood.

Or is that just the whiff of weed coming from an open window? :D

peterjg

Reaction score
Autumn - a great time for roach fishing - also spring, summer and winter!

steve2

Reaction score
With summer pike fishing banned on many of the waters I fish I can at last get the pike gear out.
Alway find it strange that on the 31st of August I can't pike fish on the 1st September I can, Same fish just a different day.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I shall be in Ireland for the last two weeks of October. The bass will be snapping up anything they can to help them get through the winter... hopefully my lure will be included!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
There's nothing like an an angler when it comes to wishing their life away.
It'll soon be Autumn winter or whatever.
Make the most of it.
One day it'll be be taken away.