Hello from kettering

Reaction score
Hi all, My name is Matthew I'm 36 have not been fishing since I was about 15, Was never very good at it back then. At the beginning of this year I bought a canoe, Have spent a huge amount of time out on the River nene with my two girls aged 7 and 9. We see hundreds of fish while paddling around and the kids both want to try there hand at fishing. After a trip to guilders today we have two 4M telescopic whip rods (Poles) not quite sure what there called.

I'm trying to find some information now regarding the best places to fish. We normally paddle Ditchford to Wellingborough, it's local to me and easy to travel to. I understand this stretch is owned by Wellingborough club, is this a good place to try fishing for the first time? I'm also thinking about fishing the ise river which is just down the road from me, walkton to Wicksteed park stretch, is this free fishing or owned by a club? Tackle shop were not too sure about it.

I'm really trying to keep cost down until I am sure kids will stick at it. I think I will buy license for myself so I'm covered when I will no doubt end up helping kids. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you Matthew

Reaction score
Lol.. I have seen the whole fishing vs paddling arguments all over the web. Only mentioned it to give a little background why I'm looking to start fishing. Not getting involved in the arguments. I've never had a bad encounter with people fishing or other canoes so hope to keep it that way.

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Matthew,
Welcome to the mad-house! Hope you pick-up some useful info - even if it's only Chris's
Don’t mention the canoe!!!
:eek::rolleyes::D
Tight Lines:thumbs:

w_world

Reaction score
Welcome for a newbie also, sounds fun what your wanting to do, i fancy getting a Sea Yak some day, once i have finished building my boat i may do so.

Wayne ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Wicksteed park stretch, is this free fishing

Welcome to FM Matthew, upstream of Wickstead park is free fishing. Wellingborough and Nene A/S have a lot of good waters at a reasonable price - there is also a lot of other free fishing if you take the trouble...........

Reaction score
Is there any website or anything where I can find out about fishing rights? It's very hard to find information on who owns which parts of the water..

I don't want to end up in trouble for fishing somewhere I am not meant to but at the same time free fishing would be preference at least for a month or two. I don't want to buy club memberships and everything and have the kids go twice and decide they don't like it...

Is there anywhere that could be considered an easy water? Kids need to be catching something however small just so they can get used to it and see if it's fun for them.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Hi, Matthew.
Take a look at Where to Fish Angling Directory. The Good Fishing Guide Since 1822! now online! for venues in your county. There are a good number of council-run waters though I wouldn't think these particular waters would be described as 'easy' and suitable for youngsters just learning the art - but DO take a look: there are some excellent waters. There are 20 Northamptonshire still-waters listed on WTF (that's 'Where to Fish!) Why not ring around to determine from the owners / clubs whether they might be suitable for you?

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at that website. There are a huge amount of lakes around here. Everywhere seems so expensive thou. I really thought fishing was going to be cheap with two kids :( I'm planning to take the kids down to the local brook (Ise River) this weekend and let them have a go with the rods they got. See how they get on. After that I think if they enjoy it will look at joining the wellingborough club as they have a good stretch of river that we are regularly on.

Wish us luck :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
The standard membership for WDANC is only £35 senior and £10 under 16. They control a lot of very good river fishing and many still waters.