Blob!

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have been reading some stuff on tying chod rigs for carp fishing and the 'D' loop is made by passing the line through the eye of the hook and preventing it pulling back by forming a blob on the end, by heating it, with a cigarette lighter.

It occurred to me that instead of tying the quick stops on, I use on some of my hair rigs, that a blob on the end of the line would do a better job at holding them on, saving the fiddly job of tying them on. The only trouble is that the line is not thick enough to make a large enough blob not to pull through the stop. By tying a dry knot in the end of the line and trimming the tag end back to about one millimetre from the knot, the blob that results from heating the knot is just the right size.

29078236751_706f228ba2_z.jpg

I can't be the first person to have thought of doing this, has anyone else tried it? I have tied up some lengths using this method and I will try them out on Thursday when I am next out.

Ralph.

laguna

Reaction score
Knot, blob, knot and blob are 3 ways to attach lines to bait stops and beads. Large diameter lines can be just bobbed, smaller lines can be knotted one or two times and blobbed.

I found that the double overhand loop knot (also called a surgeons knot) sometimes splits or damages bait when its pulled through with a baiting needle. The large unsightly knot was what prompted me to design an alternative way of baiting up. This in turn lead to the invention of the SPLITSTOP in or around 2011. Its basically a large stop for big baits that doesn't require a hair loop or baiting needle and can be used with all pre-drilled and soft hookbaits liable to splitting. Actually its not just a bait stop, its much more versatile having at least 10 different uses. Not least the ability to adjust the hook-link length and hair length on the fly, transform into meat stops, paste and bread flake anchors etc.
Link

Blobbing line of course is not new, but your on the right lines :thumbs:

IMGP1679(crop).jpg

IMGP1735(w600).jpg

IMGP2642(artificial-pellet).jpg

SPLITSTOPhair-blob.png

SPLITSTOP-sliding_bolt_rig.png

SPLITSTOP(line-drawing).jpg

IMGP2518(w600).jpg

Last edited: