Wantsum

chappy

Reaction score
Hi there took dogs for a run sunday and came across the river wantsum down near reculver . Pulled in and big sighn saying wantsum fishing club prices web site etc etc .
so had walk up and no one fishing at all all swims empty . Walk all way down and crossed railway and there was a feller with a dog at the pumpstation got talkin and he said the river died when somone let in sea water years back .

Anyway i tried to google it and cant find no info on fishing there and the website for club is invalid now not running .

I fancy giving it a go the weekend as it 10 mins from me but not sure where once you pull in like look of bit after railway where pumphouse/ slues is . Anyone with tips. info .on fish' the river . bait etc would help greatly . . Would love a river tench not had one yet .

slaphead

Reaction score
Have you had a look at Marshside Fishery website, it says that the fishery is managed by Wantsum AA.

There are contact numbers listed so they may be able to give some info.

Jim

chappy

Reaction score
Walk down it again yesterday and sar the farmer whos field it runs frew . He said the it was 2010 the sea came in and no one fishes it no more no club down there or nothing so free to fish long as licence and i ask him if im on his side wot he had no problem with me on his land his side . .
Cant beleve no one got any info or tips on this place . As it used to be fished all time so somone on hear must of fished it .

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I fished it a few times but a very long time ago. I had some very good mixed bags, mainly roach and skimmers.

If I were you, I would float fish maggots on a light waggler set up. This is usually a fairly instant method. There may have not been a complete fish kill and it may have recovered to some extent. A trip at dawn or dusk may be worthwhile to see if there are any fish rolling or rising.

Good luck mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chappy

Reaction score
Hi all thanks for reply and ray for info . The part im on about is where you drive down path and park car at St. Nicholas at wade . It looked good there and just past railway bridge at sluise on its way to reculver.

the sluise looked like it was stopping the water coming back frew tho coz it was clean water at first part river where you park then once at the pump bit after railway it was dirty not sure if be good to fish or not or stops fish or salt water coming frew hope dont stop fish goin back fourth . . . .
Hope i can get a tench out hurd they like the dykes as pike do . Will try the lift method first with maybe a prawn or corn . Maybe casters if can get some . Is it better to float then legger as so small .

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I would be more inclined to see if there are any fish at all in there. There will almost certainly be eels as they don't mind brackish water at all. If you start to pick up some small easier to catch fish then you can try to up the ante.

Let us know how you get on.