Is it better....

terry m

Reaction score
Following on from Derek's fish coming adrift thread, my question is :-
Is it better to see your fish prior to losing it for example at the net, and therefore knowing pretty much what you have lost. Or not to see it at all and be left forever wondering.

For me, probably better not to have seen it at all.:eek:mg:

B

binka

I would go with better to not have seen it too.

Like you say it does mean that you're forever wondering but that way I can pass a lot of them off as carp and think that I was actually quite lucky instead :D

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Following on from Derek's fish coming adrift thread, my question is :-
Is it better to see your fish prior to losing it for example at the net, and therefore knowing pretty much what you have lost. Or not to see it at all and be left forever wondering.

For me, probably better not to have seen it at all.:eek:mg:

With no hesitation I would rather see the culprit, which would allow me to make an estimation of the weight of the fish. Otherwise I'd be forever wondering, and thereby give me an incentive to keep tabs on that specific area. Which has in the past aided me in the capture of a number of exceptional fish, notably Pike and Perch.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too, better not to have seen the fish.

Especially in match situation because that lost fish can haunt you for many nights to come . . . .

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
At the moment I am still happy either way!;) Now once I have had a few double figure fish i will think differently!

john step

Reaction score
Trying to catch my bogey fish zander by design and not as a by product of piking.....last winter my efforts came adrift at the net in the torchlight.... still I know where it was so I am on the right track/location for this year.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Trying to catch my bogey fish zander by design and not as a by product of piking.....last winter my efforts came adrift at the net in the torchlight.... still I know where it was so I am on the right track/location for this year.

Exactly John, that's what puzzles me. Most agree that location is the key to successful results, well in my book anyway. A dropped fish disappointing as that may be has a flip side, that being that you have located the right area, if you can remember the area. lol.

flossy

Reaction score
Much rather see it ,especially if it was a new area on a river ,so i knew what was about ,and make improvements on what i was doing.

theartist

Reaction score
Its always better not to see the fish, that way you can tell yourself it must have been foul hooked anyhow for it to drop off and you can get on with enjoying the rest of your day.

flightliner

Reaction score
I'd rather see them, if they drop off it was meant to be.seeing it confirms what you are after exists then when conditions are ok then you can try again.