What changes will you make, if any.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
What changes will you make to your approach, re:- tackle, bait etc as the season progresses. Will feeding a swim become more significant(more or less), larger or smaller bait offerings. Or will the seasonal changes influence your choice of species? Perhaps this may be your first sortie after Pike, then this may be an ideal time to familiarise yourself with unhooking techniques and the tools necessary before even considering baits, lures etc.

I for one would be interested to know.

mikench

Reaction score
Still trying to master the art of catching benign species of fish, handling them correctly and releasing them unharmed. Pike would be something else entirely Derek!:)

I will use less bait and try out my pellet cones and guru bait bombs:rolleyes: still addicted to gizmos!

Anyway I still want a tench before the weather turns!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't changem uch just because of the season but more for each individual day ad the conditions experienced.

I have in the past however typically used more bread baits a the year rolls on, but I never totally forsake my favourite maggots, or caster and hemp.

I prefer these days to fish a feeder for longer sessions but still trot a stick float whenever possible for the roach, dace and chub on the Hampshire Avon.

I rarely bother fishing for Barbel to be honest, at any time of the year, but do get ti odd one on maggot by accident rather than design.

My Carp fishing these days is largely curtailed, but if I can get a little assistance to the swim, then corn and paste are more likely to be taken out from my bait bag than anything else.

I have never really fished for predators other than when (having been) totally spoiled by the Pike, Zander and Perch fishing in southern Norway.

As for my trout fishing then I am more liable to go to a wet fly on the local lakes and river, but even then the odd day a dry fly will still be a killer option.

trotter2

Reaction score
My eyesight is becoming to bad I have almost stopped using stick float and find myself using a light avon float in preference.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

Nothing in the way of methods, I got a new centrepin the other day and I will be using it for my perch fishing in combination with a lovely cane Fred J Taylor Roach rod.

The methods will not change a lot, except I will use Prawns on the rivers as well as still waters.

Hoping for a PB Perch this autumn/winter, fingers crossed.

Bob

john step

Reaction score
Just the species targeted will change as the the seasons do. Perch and pike and zander in the colder months.
Even though I am retired there doesn't seem time to do all I want to do.

With domestic responsibilities I am only managing 2 days a week at the moment.

I think the ideal scenario would be for me to have the energy and strength I had at 40 yrs of age but be retired and in my present lifestyle.....I WISH:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Looking to make plans for roach on a section of the Thames which has shown to produce pretty good fish , but this will be toward October, or maybe late September. All depends on river condition and how prolific boats are at the time..
Will always go for bread baits with flake my favourite as we go into early winter. I will still fish still waters - again for roach, but a bit of perch fishing is on the cards if I see activity

I just wish it would rain for a while - like a month!!

flossy

Reaction score
On the approach of autumn and winter ,my approach too rivers changes in the fact that i will move around even more ,worms come into their own in the autumn and winter ,a big poped up lobworm injected with added flavouring of your choice ,i tend to go for monster crab ,perch will hit them so hard the takes can be amazing, and then as the colder nights set in cheese paste all the way for those chubb and barbel ,I've already made a lump ready ,the older and stinkier the better ,my two favourite autumn and winter baits.

flossy

Reaction score
Haven't a clue Bob ,total wind up ,been a member for ages,something not right their end mate,by the way Bob whats your perch pb.

flossy

Reaction score
Do you wish too tell ,I'm laughing already ,as I'm sure we've all had them:wh

peterjg

Reaction score
I now mainly fish for roach. Pellets, corn, wheat and bread in the warmer months, bread, lobworms, corn and sometimes (rarely) maggots in the colder months.

In the warmer months I usually leger early and late and trot during the middle of the day but the colder it gets the more I leger.

I really should do more chub fishing, especially in cold weather but I find it too tempting (and enjoyable) to continue after the roach.

B

binka

Do you wish too tell ,I'm laughing already ,as I'm sure we've all had them:wh

Just one of those sessions where I was rubbing my hands the night before and on arrival at the river, like some sort of lunatic at just gone 5am, I simply lost interest :confused:

I even wish I could say something bad happened to make me feel that way but it didn't.

Hang on a minute...

Nothing bad happened?

Hell what a great day I've just had! :D

flossy

Reaction score
Listen i,m river mad ,and I've had mornings and evenings like that,felt all enthusiastic before going and then got into a swim i fancied ,and it all went gloomy didn't want to be their headed off home ....strange:confused:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Haven't a clue Bob ,total wind up ,been a member for ages,something not right their end mate,by the way Bob whats your perch pb.

Just a bit smaller than your, but I'm expecting a 5 this season :wh

Bob

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Due to joining the club I should have joined ten years ago, this has been the year of the barbel for me (best 6 lb, don't go getting excited) and I'll be riding that hobby-horse for as long as I can; once they slow down, it'll be lures and deads for pike, and trying to find where the roach hide, plus a bit of chubbing if they show up.

I'd like to see how far into the season hemp, tares and wheat will work for me, so they'll feature heavily.

Haven't fished for bream for over a year now - strange, but oddly pleasant. The car smells nicer, too.